Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Sportshift II - Gear Change Lockout Under 2K RPMs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
Sportshift II - Gear Change Lockout Under 2K RPMs?

This weekend I noticed that upon cold starting the car I couldn't shift out of first gear. Sometimes the car bucks a little bit in first gear when it's cold and changing to second alleviates it. That's why I was attempting the upshift at low rpms. At first I wasn't paying attention to the revs, but it seems that I needed to get the rev count higher before it would upshift. I usually keep the car below 3K when I am waiting for the temp to come up. Was I just shifting too early, or is something else going on?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dr. G
This weekend I noticed that upon cold starting the car I couldn't shift out of first gear. Sometimes the car bucks a little bit in first gear when it's cold and changing to second alleviates it. That's why I was attempting the upshift at low rpms. At first I wasn't paying attention to the revs, but it seems that I needed to get the rev count higher before it would upshift. I usually keep the car below 3K when I am waiting for the temp to come up. Was I just shifting too early, or is something else going on?
I cant say that sounds "normal" but I know most cars that have an automated manual wont shift until after 2k rpms natually and even when in a manual mode. My R8 wont shift up until after 2k come to think of it...good thing I never shift until atleast 4k

How do you like the car otherwise?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Former Vendor
Josh@ECS is infamous around these parts
Normal. They don't like to operate until about 2500RPM and even then it's a clumsy feeling shift.

I've found especially in the Ferraris that the throttle is quite sensitive and tricky when being used that lightly. They really just want to be driven with a good 20-30% applied and shifted up at at least 3k.

They work the best there.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Josh, I appreciate it.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Former Vendor
Josh@ECS is infamous around these parts
No problem, happy driving!