Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Grille thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM
rynacd is infamous around these parts
I'm actually debating whether to paint mine as well. i agree it depends on the theme of your vehicle. Since i have dark wheels/black trim/powedercoated exhaust tips and will have CF fender vents/body kit accents i want to remove all the chrome.

However, the grille is a very difficult decision because it defines the AM front end in many ways (at least to me). Blacking it out matches the rest of the vehicle, but I'm not sure it looks better. Thanks for the photos.

Last edited by rynacd; 05-31-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:25 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
rynacd, I agree. Today I removed the grille after work and have already begun peeling off the Plasti Dip. Time to go back.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Have you given any thought to applying "lipstick" around the grill opening?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
rynacd, I agree. Today I removed the grille after work and have already begun peeling off the Plasti Dip. Time to go back.
Well that was short-lived. . It's a good thing PlastiDip is a non-commitment mod.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
I think that's a good choice. The blacked-out look can be nice, but I'm not so sure it works on the Aston.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to strip off the Plasti-dip and was it as simple as just peeling? Wondering about getting into all the corners on the grill.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
^^I was gonna ask that, but I was afraid to hear the answer.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Aston.Ca and Racer-I started the peeling yesterday and have probably spent a total of 2-3 hours peeling/rubbing. It is NOT as easy as it looks/sounds! I believe the trick is to spray a lot when you apply it and it rolls right off. I only had a bottle and the areas in between the slats that had a minimal coverage are a pain in the butt to remove.

I ended up spraying goo gone all over it and sprayed off with a hose before dinner. I will use my pressure washer tomorrow then put the grille back on.

To Karl's point above-at least its a non-commitment mod. It looked ok but you really needed to back out everything to make it look right. My Aston was not the right car for that look.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:30 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Hmm. I wonder if it would've been easier to buy another can of PlastiDip and spray on a thick, sloppy coat in order to help in peeling it off.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:05 PM
vince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nice
I painted my front grill with this product last week and for now, it's perfect. Long may it continue ...

Old 07-25-2012, 12:38 AM
rynacd is infamous around these parts
I'm still undecided especially after seeing the DBS Carbon Edition and the 2013 V12 Vantage renderings online. They have all the black accents i like.

Does anyone know how they painted this grille black and kept it classy?
http://www.lincah.com/wp-content/upl...ack-Grille.jpg

In other pictures it just looks like its painted regular black.
http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/4...Edition+02.JPG

Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 AM
vince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nice
i'ts the same dimension for the Vantage?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
My S has a graphite coloured grill from the factory
It is just painted (and stone chipped )
I will be powder coating it at some point

Last edited by mikey k; 07-26-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
My grill is painted black with the exception of the exposed edge of the blades which are polished.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Norman75
My grill is painted black with the exception of the exposed edge of the blades which are polished.
Can you please post a picture?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Grille thoughts?