Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Next Car V12 Vantage or R8 V10?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:26 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Next Car V12 Vantage or R8 V10?

Should my next car be a 2010 Audi R8 V-10 or the 2011 V12 Vantage. The price spread is $40K which is my reasoning. Money does matter.

$120K vs. $160K

I'm thinking the Audi as a stop gap before my V12... baby steps right?
Your thoughts?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:48 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
The R8 is an amazing car but the looks just aren't there for me. I also am not a fan of the interior. It looks just like all the other Audi cars and doesn't feel special to me. The fit and finish are great but lack "special" to me.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:16 PM
No32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of light
its should be fairly easy, drive them both & you'll have the answer

Old 06-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
I've driven the V8 R8, not the V10. Great car, and very much an Audi -- this is both good and bad. For me, it was more of a negative since I wanted something that always feels special, and the R8's Audiness made it feel a bit more like a "normal" car. The Aston is always hugely special. I would certainly choose a V12V over an R8 (actually, I prefer my V8V to either R8), but as a car to own between your V8V and a V12V, well, that might be fun...

Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 PM
CPB
CPB is infamous around these parts
Have had both. Went from the R8 to the V12V. I like the Vantage a bit more. Much stiffer ride, but more fun overall.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
+1 in the styling dept. IMHO, R8 will look dated in short order. Vantage lines = timeless. But if you plan on a short trophy marriage followed by a swap to the next one this should not be a concern.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:58 AM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
There was a thread on the lamborghini forum where someone picked up a v10 R8 over a 560-4 and immediately regretted his decision. The big issue was that the R8, although a great car, was lacking some of the intangibles of the 560-4.

I agree with some of the above comments - drive both and you'll have your answer.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:03 PM
bluesun is infamous around these parts
I was planning on getting an R8 but was going to wait until they came out with the update this year. Then I heard about the TT-RS. Just as fast, about 100k less. Saw one for sale and bought it. As much as I like the way the R8 looks, (and I have driven a V10 version) I just don't think the cost addition is worth the change in looks (a pro and a con) and a wider seat. Part of the problem with the R8 is that it is prices as a super car but is very drive able and not crazy fast. This has led some super car buyers to be bored with it on their first drive.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Viper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the rough
I just drove an R8 V10 six speed last week. I have driven both the V8 and V10 auto and the six speed is much better. The problem is it just doesn't do anything for me. It drives ok and I am sure it is a quality product but it has a very plastic interior, the power delivery is not smooth and it just has no sense of occasion. The list was $153 for a loaded car which is good value but not very interesting. As you can buy used V12s in the same price range I would say you will just have to drive them both to see if you are an Audi or Aston guy.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:27 PM
onurleft is infamous around these parts
An R8 V10 with APR software (570 + hp) and an exhaust system is an amazing machine. Especially with that near 9000rpm redline. Stock they are thrilling, but still heavy and honestly could "feel" like they could be faster.

If it were my money, i'd still take the V12V. That car does't really need anything but a driver

Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
My best friend has an R8 V10, and I have driven it on occasion. I have a TT RS and an Aston Martin V12 (also had a 4.7 V8). So I have driven the cars, and I'm a fan of both Marques.

The R8 V10 is a very serious piece of kit. When you hammer it (especially on a track) it is monstrously fast (I drove the six speed). It has excellent steering and brakes. The higher spec carbon interiors and piano trimmed exterior cars look great.

It does feel special with that big engine visible out back, and everything works very well. But I found it lacks a raw edge to it and it is not as opulent as the Vantage V12. It is soooo capable and in some ways refined that it could feel too smoothed out for a Vantage guy.

Tooling around town it's very calm and quiet. Too quiet for me, this is true of all Audi's. They just don't get exhaust notes the way Aston and the Italians do.

The car is very capable and well finished, but it's not "bespoke" feeling. Even though some press feel it is better built. I don't and I have had 5 Audi's.

The TT RS is only in the same class on paper or the track. It IS a seriously fast car, but you have to upgrade the tires, the brakes, the Haldex unit etc... Before it gets anywhere near the spec that is standard on the other cars. I have a ton of fun in that car and have reviewed it on these pages. It's a very practical choice.

The V12 Vantage is the best choice here for a road car. It has the best exhaust note, though it is too quiet in the cabin compared to the V8. I think the materials and finish are so much better. Just look at the R8's splitter and diffuser. Compare that to the V12 equipment.

The V12 interior is far more bespoke feeling and does not feel like another car. You get the beautiful swan doors, the great seats, the B&O sound system. I think the V12 is far better looking, even though I'm a fan of the R8. it has the more complex shape and I sure its far more enjoyable to wash.

On the road the V12 is just more fun. The Audi is faster and car, and in slick conditions better, but it has less soul to me. . I prefer the V12 brakes. The R8 brakes did not stand out enough for me to remember, even though both are equally good at stopping. The Vantage has more grunt and seems to rev more freely, But honestly they are both great motors. I just wish the R8 had more aggression to it. For me the vantage appears to egg you on. Begging you to go faster. Even. When you are driving around town the V12 rewards you with a fantastic burble every time you decelerate.

The good news is, you can't make a bad choice. Both are beyond good cars.

Last edited by black penguin; 06-08-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Don't say soul!

I think you need to pull fuse 15 or, better yet, get yourself a remote control unit. The exhaust note is fantastic with the valves open.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:56 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I pulled the fuse, it's still not as loud as the V8 was bounds more complex, just wish there was a bit more.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:23 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Tough to say...have you tried the V10 R8-GT?

Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
The V10 R8 GT is in the 200K. That wouldn't be a baby step per OP.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Next Car V12 Vantage or R8 V10?