Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Please talk me out of a Ferrari F430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by sunir
Other notable Ferraris IMO: 360 CS, 288, 612 Scaglietti, F40, Enzo, 412P, 250 SWB, 275 GTB-4, 275 Lusso, 375MM, 250 California, Spyder Daytona, TestaRossa/512TR, 328 Boxer, 250 GTB Short w/ alloy body, 500 Superfast...

My fav Ferrari of all time and my ultimate dream car... Ferrari 250 GTO

Skip the F430, they made too many and they are not a notable model. If you can swing a Scuderia get that, otherwise hald off for the 458 Italia...that is thr true masterpeice of the current day.
No love for the 456 or the Maranello series GTs? I thought about those when I started looking at an Aston.

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
If I go to a meet and see 9 GT-R's and one Prius, it is not because I think the Prius is exclusive.
Lol, _such_ a troll

Originally Posted by spinecho
... IMO you should wait and go for an Italia, though!
If I ever had the coin for a 458 I think I'd hold out for the Spider personally. No performance or styling hit (well maybe execpt for losing some engine display) and loads of top down aural pleasure.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:45 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ the front engine v12 Maranellos were good cars...the 550 was a hit when it came out. I do like the some front engine v12 Ferraris but in this catagory I love the older one's from the 50's and 60's ...like the GTB-4 cam and the Lusso those are striking...of the modern day front engine v12 Ferraris I would have to go with the 599 GTB or GTO

Old 06-13-2012, 02:50 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by spinecho
If you like changing cars so often, and if $ is not a concern, why not try the 430? It's a louder, sharper, faster experience. When I drove one, I actually found the ride better than with my then V8V SP. Generally, Ferraris don't do it for me - they are too flash and a bit crass, and I do like to keep my cars longer than a few months, but there's no denying the 430 is an impressive machine. IMO you should wait and go for an Italia, though!
+1 to this. You have the bug so just buy one otherwise you'll never be happy. Enjoy it for 6 months and move on to the next thing.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:53 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by elude
thanks guys for all the input. maybe i need to take a nice sprited drive in the V8VS after work today.

some great info points as well. everytime i go to a CNC event, there is always at least a row of F430's, yet im only one or two of the AM's. the exclusivity and rarity of the AM leads the F430 to feel more of a "common" supercar/exotic.

aside performance, i'd still like the whole overall package. i just need to cure this ferrari fever.
Get a shifter cart and blow the cob webs out on a track.. You will be feeling better the rest of the week!!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
I did a run up to Lime Rock Park with some of the guys from Rennlist a few weeks ago. Saw one of my classic favorites and one of my modern favorites:

Name:  IMG_1354.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  70.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1357.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  93.8 KB

Old 06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
nexlogic has a spectacular aura aboutnexlogic has a spectacular aura aboutnexlogic has a spectacular aura about
If you like to rotate cars, why not? Go for it. I had my Aston Martin Virage for a few months before I decided to trade it in for a Ferrari. Love it to death - the car is another level. It depends what you're looking in a vehicle. Sometimes you prefer Pizza, sometimes you prefer a salad.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:18 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Bill ...that's the awesome Daytona Spyder doing what it was meant to do...be a great fast front engine v12 Ferrari GT car!!!

Dr. G... excellent pics and taste, thanks for sharing...the GTO looks great, is it one of the original 37? If so would you happen to know the history and ownerships behind that...each is a very special one! I love the 355 Challenge car also, it was with the 348 and 355 that the Challenge series really picked up steam here in North America. My good friend used to run one of those in the Early 2000's (maybe '01 - '02) looked identical to the one pictured...he had 2 sets of speedlines one white the other yellow...ran a 1:17.xx at SPR which was very fast for that time, back before the repaved the track in the late 2000's.

Nexlogic...excellent choice on the 458...it is a magnificant car. I have yet to drive one on the race track but that might change within a month. I am looking forward to that opportunity. I hope to own one myself in the somewhat near future, but in the meantime when offered, flogging someone elses on track would be a good bit of fun

Old 06-13-2012, 05:53 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Simple ... There is an unwritten rule. Aston owners can only buy Lambos ... Dunno why but it's true almost 100% of the time

Old 06-13-2012, 05:54 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
To the OP,
Are you planning on DD this car or do you have a separate car for DD duty?
Having borrowed my friends Vantage for the weekend, and driving a scud on the track, you will be getting a different car all together. The only thing they have in common is that they will get a lot of attention and they are beautiful. The F430 is going to feel much faster, lighter, and more nimble around the corners. Your Vantage is going to be much more comfortable for DD or long drives. I have also tracked a 458 and it is not worth the extra 150k over the F430, even as great of a car it is.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
Sunir, interestingly enough the car is actually rarer than a 250GTO in that it's one of the 330GTOs that Ferrari built with the larger motor on the slightly modified 250 chassis and body. I believe the owner said this was one of three built.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:14 PM
^^^ ah yes the unicorn of them all - the 330 GTO...there are only 3 you are super lucky to have seen one!!! WOW!! Ferrari made those in anticopation of the larger motor in the racing sanctioning body, they were early runs almost prototype exercise and purpose made. The car is exactly as you said a larger motor in the 250 chassis...I didn't list that on my list as it's incredibly rare and unobtainable unless one goes in auction, I know one wasa California car which has been restored, it had some owner modications that were re-altered back to factory. The car is values anywhere from $15 - $20 Million depending on quality of resotration or originality, in the right circumstances I would not be surprised to see a 330GTO go upwards of $30M.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
To the OP,
Are you planning on DD this car or do you have a separate car for DD duty?
This would not be my DD and would only be used a few times a week and definitely the weekend. I love the 458 (and its no where even close to attainable), but if the F430 truly is a run for it's money, maybe I'll consider. I guess I watched that Top Gear on the 458 vs. the F430 and thought Ferrari has made miles of progress ahead.

I guess I need to go and just test drive a F430. Hmm, great reason to play hookie at work.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I saw that episode too and was amazed at how the 458 just walked away from the 430. Don't be thinking, however, that the 430 is slow. It is really fast and it is amazing how quickly it will rip through the gears. It also handles fantastically well. I rented a 430 spider in Monaco a couple of years ago and it was absolute bliss carving up the twisty roads near St. Tropez with that car.

Any thought as to coupe or spider? Although I prefer the hard top when it comes to Astons, for some reason I gravitate to the open-air experience for Ferraris.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:55 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I was thinking the same thing. It was between the Ford GT and the 430. In the end I went with the V12 Vantage. They are more exclusive, more beautiful, not quite as sharp, but I think just as fun, maybe more.

To be honest the V12 Vantage is a bargain considering its peers.

But, honestly who could fault you for driving a 430

Old 06-15-2012, 09:14 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by elude
This would not be my DD and would only be used a few times a week and definitely the weekend. I love the 458 (and its no where even close to attainable), but if the F430 truly is a run for it's money, maybe I'll consider. I guess I watched that Top Gear on the 458 vs. the F430 and thought Ferrari has made miles of progress ahead.

I guess I need to go and just test drive a F430. Hmm, great reason to play hookie at work.
Elude,
You should speak with Fernando at Ferrari La Jolla, he may let you test drive. Most Ferrari or exotic dealers rarely allow test drives unless all the paperwork is done and signed !

So what do you want in this car:
amazing performance
visceral driving experience
great looks and attention getting
comfort and luxury
reliability

Shoot me a PM since you live in SD and you can take a look at my P-car. It is in your magic price range and ticks many of the boxes except comfort and luxury. Just to be clear, I am not selling my car, but there are a few for sale which are similar.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please talk me out of a Ferrari F430