Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New to the forums and in the market for a Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:44 PM
JvMorrow is infamous around these parts
New to the forums and in the market for a Vantage

Hi, I have recently got rid of my daily driver and looking to replace it with a Aston Martin Vantage. I have never owned an Aston Martin but have always wanted one and after owning enough 911's I think it is time to make the switch.

I have not decided if I want to to new or used. There seems to be a huge difference in price for a used and slightly older Vantage compared to a new one. Thought I have not ruled out simply pulling the trigger and just buying a new Vantage S. Although I would prefer and enjoy a manual car more and the S version does not come with this option. Just a couple questions.

What is the difference from 06 to new? I know in 09 it comes with the 4.7l engine compared to the 4.3 is this a must have or little difference? And when and if did they facelift the Vantage from 06 to 12 and what are the differences?

Also like I said I would love and enjoy a manual car. But if the Vantage S is just worth every bit more and I obviously have to go with the auto, how reliable is it at low speeds and all around?

Thank you, if I missed any important questions I would be happy to hear them, any feedback is appreciated.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to the forum!

Mandatory reading for prospective AM buyers: http://www.astonmartinreview.co.uk/ - this is a great book written by an ex-911 owner that will answer all your questions in detail.

The 4.7L is a great car and from many accounts it is a big step up, engine-wise from the 4.3L, although I must admit I have never driven a 4.3. IMO you should definitely go for the manual - it really adds to the interaction with the car!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 AM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
I have a 4.3 and am happy with it, but it took some mechanic work to get it to this point. I would go with a 4.7 or newer model, they updated both engine, interior, and drivetrain.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:32 AM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
By the way Vantage S probably not worth it, don't know the price difference but I am sure you can get a lot more power by updating the car with third party equipment.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JvMorrow
What is the difference from 06 to new? I know in 09 it comes with the 4.7l engine compared to the 4.3 is this a must have or little difference?
It's a big difference. The 4.7 has more power and much more torque (14% more) than the 4.3 and, as a result, the 4.7 pulls harder, especially in the lower rev range. The lack of low-end grunt is the biggest criticism of the 4.3.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 AM
CPB
CPB is infamous around these parts
Go with the V12!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:35 AM
I wish I could little out of my price range for my daily driver car. Ordered that book and I will be test driving a Vantage S and a manual Vantage this weekend. I really want a manual car so I don't know if the S will be enough to keep me away from manual. Then it comes down to if I do get manual do I buy used or buy new. There seems to be a lot of good cars on the market that are used. But always trying to figure out what seems to vary year to year.

06-08 all the same, cept for an Ipod interface in 08 and the option of a power pack n400?

09 the new 4.7L engine

10 clear taillights only?

Old 06-19-2012, 08:41 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
08 had the SportShift updated from my very limited understanding

Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by zambono
By the way Vantage S probably not worth it, don't know the price difference but I am sure you can get a lot more power by updating the car with third party equipment.
I don't necessarily think its the power alone that makes the S worth it as there are a lot more subtleties that add up. For example, the carbon fiber front splitter and rear diffuser along with the V12 side skirts. The interior has a finer stitching patter on the door sills and the interior door handles are in a piano black. Plus (and probably most important) is the exhaust, the sound alone is comprised of what I believe are the V12 cats with a special/different exhaust muffler which produces an unbelievable sound.

Forgive, but of course I'm bias.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Welcome to the forums!!

If your liking is a manual car, go for it!!..I've notice a large amount of faults with the ASM cars. Don't get me wrong, it's not a horrible system, when it's setup right and running great, the ASM system is awesome and if your into lapping, ASM will outperform any a like manual Vantage in track times..the ASM in Vantage S is the second gen for Vantage lineup, it is by far a better feel when driving/shifting, and the extra 7th gear helps if your using this as a daily driver to save on fuel, gear shifts are also more faster and crisp, braking has also been upgraded..

The clutch new on a first gen vantage ASM is 8.4mm compressed in thickness, when the ASM clutch reachs 7.4mm you start getting sticking clutch, which simulates a input shaft spin and the ASM says F*CK THIS, I'M OUT..Lights go on in the dash and you call a tow-truck to reset all the lights in the dash at your dealer..when it's 6.4mm..say bye-bye to any forward/reverse motion and Hello Mr tow-truck again to replace your clutch, if your abs harness gets corroded like some due, system doesn't see vehicle speed correctly and ASM doesn't know what to believe sooo ASM says again F*ck THIS I'M OUT ..again, by this point you are becoming good friends with your tow truck driver..

This isn't the case of all ASM's..just they do require more maintenance than a manual version..and as you can tell from my above paragraph, they are very moody, kind of like a chick on rag, at any point she will flip embarrass you!! And at any point she starts leaking red from her undercarriage..RUN!!

Seriously, all jokes aside..*knock on wood* the manual can be a garanteed less headache-free version of the Vantage, and a Blast to drive!!

The engine, 6.0L is the way to go, just you need stocks in fuel or a fueling station in your boot to use this car as a daily driver. Being your debating 4.3's and 4.7's, the 4.7L is the winner in performance and feel(throttle response and in your seat torque meter), even the extra interior options on a 4.7L can be debated nicer/better..4.7L came into play in 2009, so any 2009-onwards I would recommend in manual as a daily driver..

Hehe..I'm glad I never have to read my posts, there always sooo long..LMAO

Old 06-19-2012, 01:35 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zambono
If you are considering an S I would recommend reading my thread to get an idea of some of the changes I have noticed coming from a V8V. As others mentioned it's not just power that makes it different.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Thank you RossL I was definitely read that review of the Vantage S and I will be test driving an S and a manual Vantage this coming weekend

Personally I feel I have been away from manual to long. I will never track this car, so those quicker shifts that my human body cannot perform mean little compared to the joy of pushing in that clutch and shift gears myself means.

Unfortunately I may not to get to test drive the difference between a 4.7 and a 4.3 if I do get to the decision of going towards the manual side.

There seems to be a huge price variation between the 4.3L 06-08 cars and the 4.7L 09+ cars even with the same mileage. From my limited research around 20-30k. For that kind of money you can do a lot of aftermarket upgrades and as I saw vince1972 do to his car. Which to me is fun to slowly "build up your own car".

Ive heard the Vantage S steering is far better, and the exhaust note is 2x as better as the regular Vantage, but it may not be enough to pull me away from wanting a manual car. Picking up an older Vantage for 70-85k Im assuming, compared to spending 150k+ for an new Vantage S. There is a lot of extra money upgrade a slightly older Vantage. My biggest concern in doing this would be, finding a great mechanic in the south florida area that I could trust and what parts to go with as I am very unfamiliar with Aston Martins and aftermarket vendors for this type of car.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
I tracked my 08 for the first time this past weekend (will put together a detailed post when I get time) and had a blast! The noise from the cats + stock exhaust is _phenomenal_ and the car was hands down the best sounding machine out there (and there was some big iron on the track). With the ECU tune the acceleration out of corners was also great to about 180-200+ km/h. Brakes were great, I did not notice significant fade but replaced my fluid last week and recently put on the porterfield pads (my rotors are blue now tho lol).The suspension could use some tightening however but as you say, there is lots of play there in the price difference to tweak your car if you buy a 06-08.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JvMorrow
Thank you RossL I was definitely read that review of the Vantage S and I will be test driving an S and a manual Vantage this coming weekend

Personally I feel I have been away from manual to long. I will never track this car, so those quicker shifts that my human body cannot perform mean little compared to the joy of pushing in that clutch and shift gears myself means.

Unfortunately I may not to get to test drive the difference between a 4.7 and a 4.3 if I do get to the decision of going towards the manual side.

There seems to be a huge price variation between the 4.3L 06-08 cars and the 4.7L 09+ cars even with the same mileage. From my limited research around 20-30k. For that kind of money you can do a lot of aftermarket upgrades and as I saw vince1972 do to his car. Which to me is fun to slowly "build up your own car".

Ive heard the Vantage S steering is far better, and the exhaust note is 2x as better as the regular Vantage, but it may not be enough to pull me away from wanting a manual car. Picking up an older Vantage for 70-85k Im assuming, compared to spending 150k+ for an new Vantage S. There is a lot of extra money upgrade a slightly older Vantage. My biggest concern in doing this would be, finding a great mechanic in the south florida area that I could trust and what parts to go with as I am very unfamiliar with Aston Martins and aftermarket vendors for this type of car.
If your willing to modify to suit your needs, the 4.3L can perform, like you stated there is a huge price gap to have extra cash a side.. it is an excellant base and most ppl won't even need the extra power of the 4.7L, for it truely is a excellent vehicle..but warned speed and modifying is more addictive than cocaine

The exhaust tone on S is really rewarded to the whole exhaust system, from the headers to the rear muffler all have been redesigned, only parts carried over is the small pipes between the center section and muffler..headers/catalysts/center section/muffler are all redesigned for the S that give that nice tone, some of these parts have been transfered to the new 12.25MY Vantage..

BTW, if you need a Aston mechanic in FT Laud area, when your ready send me a PM and I have a good guy for you..no worries there

Old 06-19-2012, 03:19 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by irish07
BTW, if you need a Aston mechanic in FT Laud area, when your ready send me a PM and I have a good guy for you..no worries there
How about Chi-town area?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to the forums and in the market for a Vantage