Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

First performance-based criticisms of the new Vanquish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 AM
CPB
CPB is infamous around these parts
Seems to be the MO for AM. They tried to convince everyone that the DBS was "all new" over the DB9. Wasn't really the case.

The new Vanquish looks nice, but the evolutionary approach continues.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I admit that I'm no Porsche fan, but I do give them credit for continually upping the ante in terms of performance. Aston doesn't have Porsche's resources, but I still feel like they could do better. As an example, Bamford Rose has limited resources also, but they are getting the Aston V12 to 550 bhp. When we're talking about the V12V and the DBS, all they are doing to get there is adding new manifolds and cats. Okay, Aston may have regulations to deal with that get in the way of opening up the exhausts the way BR or RSC can, but I still can't help but feel that a lot more horsepower could be extracted from the engine without an immense expenditure.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 AM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I admit that I'm no Porsche fan, but I do give them credit for continually upping the ante in terms of performance. Aston doesn't have Porsche's resources, but I still feel like they could do better. As an example, Bamford Rose has limited resources also, but they are getting the Aston V12 to 550 bhp. When we're talking about the V12V and the DBS, all they are doing to get there is adding new manifolds and cats. Okay, Aston may have regulations to deal with that get in the way of opening up the exhausts the way BR or RSC can, but I still can't help but feel that a lot more horsepower could be extracted from the engine without an immense expenditure.

As is often the case, I totally agree with RacerX.

Whenever I think about Aston's resources I think of McLaren. They only sell one retail car and they are undeniably boutique (i.e ultra small production numbers). Possibly more so than Aston. I watched this recently and couldn't help but wonder why AM could not be similarly innovative when a seemingly comparable company can be - not to say that the One-77 wasn't innovative, but it cost $2M and you can't walk into a dealership and get one.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mclar...ry-2012-5?op=1

Do they have much deeper pockets or alternative high-margin revenue streams that give them more resources than AM?

The Vanquish and Mp4-12C (seriously, what is up with that terrible name?! lol) are comparably priced but the MP4 seems to have a hell of a lot more innovation and sheer hardware firepower - I am not talking about speed, I'm referring to things like their variable/adjustable suspension, engine, interior features, etc.

Heck, I just double checked and the Vanquish actually starting price is actually $40k higher! Wow.

Last edited by ShawnBoston; 06-21-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
That's a really good point as to McLaren SB. Never really thought about them, but they are in the same or worse boat financially and seem to innovate a lot more than Aston does. I wonder if Bez is the problem. Aston seemed to be innovating more a decade ago. I guess it could be worse. We could have Dany Bahar as CEO.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:46 AM
MamoVaka is infamous around these parts
Mclaren has a ton of racing technology at their disposal.. I am sure the racing aspect of their business is allowing them plenty of resources to forge the MP4..

Mclaren is an example of a sportscar company that has no brand dilution..

The rest of the companies are all producing as many random models as they can.. i'm hoping mclaren sticks with the model they have now.. more exciting..

Old 06-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
I have to jump on the wagon here and say that I too am dissapointed in the new Vanquish..
It is a gorgeous car no doubt, but it's still a bodykitted, slightly faster DB9 in my book.

And regarding the evolution vs revolution styling and comparison with the 911.
You have to consider that while Porsche doesn't change the styling much with each generation, Aston now have 4 (5?) cars in their stable right now that looks and performs very similiar..

It is like Porsche having the 993, 996, 997 and 991 being produced at the same time IMO. It doesn't really work..

Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Heist
The VH platform is not outdated. Where I find contention is the overall design dilution of the DB. The 911 and Diablo were extended, but not diluted.
Vantage - DB - Virage - DBS - Rapide; all the same sausage cut to different lengths.
And it seems they will try to pass off the Vanquish as a "different" line.

The V12 is in need of a either a power adder or a fresh sheet design. The two welded together Ford V6s aren't cutting it any longer in a category where the mark is moving to 600hp and nearly 600lb/ft tq.
+1.

I don't want to get hung up on HP, but more power/torque providing better performance (at least on paper) would be welcome for a car costing almost $300k (probably more with options). They have to stay relevant with their competition.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't believe AM is trying to compete with the others. They are British and hard-headed. They make luxurious, sporty GT's that are fast enough to enjoy, not win all the races. It sounds like sacrilege to even suggest adding supercharges or turbos. I could see reworking the guts to produce more power but I just don't think Aston cares about out-powering other exotics. It's about enjoying the drive and looking good.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:21 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ice350
I don't believe AM is trying to compete with the others. They are British and hard-headed. They make luxurious, sporty GT's that are fast enough to enjoy, not win all the races. It sounds like sacrilege to even suggest adding supercharges or turbos. I could see reworking the guts to produce more power but I just don't think Aston cares about out-powering other exotics. It's about enjoying the drive and looking good.
I don't totally disagree... What separates these cars apart from Ferrari, Porsche, and Lamborghini is the style and comfort. The problem is that they are heavy (because of this luxury), and need more power than the others to compete.

But what is wrong with forced induction?

Old 06-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Nothing is wrong with forced induction, and Aston has done it before. I do however prefer the "purity" of NA. Then again, so many manufacturers are turning to superchargers and turbochargers these days that it may be inevitable

Old 06-21-2012, 12:13 PM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
Stew I am with you, Vanquish V12 should be above 600hp if it wants to compete and it costs $50k more than the Bentley GT. You can get a Carrera S with the new upgrade and perform better in every which way.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:19 PM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
McLaren all the way, and a lot more exclusive since most won't know if you are driving the DB9, Vantage, Rapide or the step child Virage.

Originally Posted by ShawnBoston
As is often the case, I totally agree with RacerX.

Whenever I think about Aston's resources I think of McLaren. They only sell one retail car and they are undeniably boutique (i.e ultra small production numbers). Possibly more so than Aston. I watched this recently and couldn't help but wonder why AM could not be similarly innovative when a seemingly comparable company can be - not to say that the One-77 wasn't innovative, but it cost $2M and you can't walk into a dealership and get one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVGlqjCufMY&feature=plcp

http://www.businessinsider.com/mclar...ry-2012-5?op=1

Do they have much deeper pockets or alternative high-margin revenue streams that give them more resources than AM?

The Vanquish and Mp4-12C (seriously, what is up with that terrible name?! lol) are comparably priced but the MP4 seems to have a hell of a lot more innovation and sheer hardware firepower - I am not talking about speed, I'm referring to things like their variable/adjustable suspension, engine, interior features, etc.

Heck, I just double checked and the Vanquish actually starting price is actually $40k higher! Wow.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:39 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zlaatan
I have to jump on the wagon here and say that I too am dissapointed in the new Vanquish..
It is a gorgeous car no doubt, but it's still a bodykitted, slightly faster DB9 in my book.

And regarding the evolution vs revolution styling and comparison with the 911.
You have to consider that while Porsche doesn't change the styling much with each generation, Aston now have 4 (5?) cars in their stable right now that looks and performs very similiar..

It is like Porsche having the 993, 996, 997 and 991 being produced at the same time IMO. It doesn't really work..
That's a fairly poor comparison. Let's use a more real world comparison which lines up very closely and well with Porsche; The Boxster, Cayman, Panamera, and 991. They look about as similar as a Vantage, Virage, Rapide, and DB9/S to the untrained (99% of the world) eye.

Last edited by RossL; 06-21-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:47 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I don't totally disagree... What separates these cars apart from Ferrari, Porsche, and Lamborghini is the style and comfort. The problem is that they are heavy (because of this luxury), and need more power than the others to compete.

But what is wrong with forced induction?
Nothing wrong with forced induction but many of us prefer the deep throated sound of NA power. The wine of FI needs an exhaust system to compensate that often results in crude sounds and drone. Then there is overheating issues and all the valves and add-ons to make FI work efficiently.
Natural power is....natural. I personally prefer melodious, smooth and powerful as opposed to all out breakneck speed.
I also prefer riding in luxury and comfort with great handling. Aston has the right formula for some of us. Call it outdated. I call it GT performance.

Let me add there is definitely a place for FI in the enthusiast world. But someone needs to stay with NA for those that want it.

Last edited by ice350; 06-21-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by scottblack
Guess it falls to Stuart to provide the "fix" in the meantime!
Something like this perhaps?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First performance-based criticisms of the new Vanquish