Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Reasonable Dealership Cost to Install Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM
macksamus is infamous around these parts
Reasonable Dealership Cost to Install Exhaust

Hey guys,

So I've decided that my next mod. will be installing the AM Sports Exhaust. I called around and recieved various quotes from the local AM dealers in Norcal, as well as some AM dealers in Socal.

For just installation, the cheapest quote I have is $250, followed by $500 and then topping out at $900

Assuming the dealer rate is $175/hour, $900 seems ridiculous (i.e., 5+ hrs).

I'll admit that I don't know exactly what gets done, but it seems to me that it's simply a matter of unbolting 4 screws, removing the old unit and rebolting the new one. 2 hours (maybe 3 max) seems reasonable to me.

Thoughts?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
$250 sounds like a very good price, but what are they charging for the exhaust itself?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:32 PM
adulay is infamous around these parts
I would contact Robb over at BR Racing in Los Gatos. Very knowledgeable on AMs and it's where I take my car ...

Old 07-03-2012, 08:59 PM
The dealer that is charging $250 for the install is located in Socal, so I wouldn't take it there. They also seemed to mark up the price of the exhaust by quite a bit.

What I am trying to figure out is how many hours is reasonable for this type of work. I am assuming up to 3 hours it the longest it should take.

With respect to taking my car to an indy shop for installation of the AM Sports Exhaust, that's not really an option as this exhaust also requires a software configuration file update that the factory releases directly to the dealership.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Just curious. Why the AM sports exhaust vs RSC or quicksilver?

Old 07-03-2012, 09:44 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
The AM Sport Exhaust does sound really nice and it retains the ability to use the exhaust bypass valves which the others delete.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
Just curious. Why the AM sports exhaust vs RSC or quicksilver?
To me, the RSC exhausts sound a bit raspy/high pitched. The quicksilver did sound nice, but the AM sports exhaust hit the spot for me after listening to the N420.

I also like the fact that the AM sports exhaust comes with a software update to address the increase in back pressure. I was told that without this software update, the TPS can trigger faults and cause the car to stall. I wonder if some of the stalling issues that have been reported might have been associated with third party exhaust systems and the TPS?

Old 07-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by macksamus
To me, the RSC exhausts sound a bit raspy/high pitched. The quicksilver did sound nice, but the AM sports exhaust hit the spot for me after listening to the N420.

I also like the fact that the AM sports exhaust comes with a software update to address the increase in back pressure. I was told that without this software update, the TPS can trigger faults and cause the car to stall. I wonder if some of the stalling issues that have been reported might have been associated with third party exhaust systems and the TPS?
Software for increase in backpressure? If anything your going to get a decrease with a larger exhaust. From what I know, the software doesn't relate to the TPS, it adjusts the time for the opening and closing of the exhaust by-pass valves to give a more aggressive tone.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:46 PM
that's what i thought as well. originally, i was just going to order the exhaust system from the dealer and have it installed at an indy shop. i didn't care about the opening and closing of hte by-pass valve as I already had the vacuum hose plugged.

most dealerships had no idea what the software update as for. then, one of the local AM dealerships told me it was for the TPS to deal with the change in back pressure....and only way to have that software installed was through the dealership. I wish these guys were more knowledgeable about their own products.....

Old 07-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by macksamus
that's what i thought as well. originally, i was just going to order the exhaust system from the dealer and have it installed at an indy shop. i didn't care about the opening and closing of hte by-pass valve as I already had the vacuum hose plugged.

most dealerships had no idea what the software update as for. then, one of the local AM dealerships told me it was for the TPS to deal with the change in back pressure....and only way to have that software installed was through the dealership. I wish these guys were more knowledgeable about their own products.....
Ok no worries, but TPS idea I'd throw that out, for that amount of units AM estimates to sell, touching the TPS would mean redoing there whole carb testing just for that kit, and not just testing for noise polution..I'm sure the software was just for the by-pass valves, nothing more..same goes for the intake power pack, software is just to operate the added air filter housing by-pass valves. Most think the intake manifold is larger, both hand-in-hand no difference, it's the same thing just painted black and tapped on the side for a added vacuum supply port for the by-pass valve solinoid..nice look though

None the less, to install a rear muffler on a V8V, a mark up to a total of 2-3hrs is a good estimate

Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by irish07
Software for increase in backpressure? If anything your going to get a decrease with a larger exhaust. From what I know, the software doesn't relate to the TPS, it adjusts the time for the opening and closing of the exhaust by-pass valves to give a more aggressive tone.
Thanks Irish; so glad you and AMFixer are on this forum Wish they would let me give you more rep. points!!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:13 PM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
I am also intertest in the AM sport exhaust, how much did it cost you?

Old 07-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by millsjq
I am also intertest in the AM sport exhaust, how much did it cost you?
dealership prices ranged from $3,200 to $4,500

Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 AM
Koooms is infamous around these parts
I have the RSC SuperSport, I think it sounds well. I got mine installed for $200 by Unity Auto in Toronto.

They sell QuickSilver and RSC exhausts for around $2.5K or lower

Old 07-05-2012, 07:30 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
"dealership prices ranged from $3,200 to $4,500" was that for the exhaust only, or with install. I am interested in installing myself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reasonable Dealership Cost to Install Exhaust