Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Gas cap issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Gas cap issues

My gas cap refused to open this afternoon (even though I could see movement of the cap when I pressed the button and hear the catch moving inside). Didn't have my manual in the glovebox but managed to find the manual release in the trunk. Even that did not open the cap.

Eventually after a couple dozen attempts, it did open fortunately. It appears to me that the cap is a bit off centre when closed and there's a bit of play laterally when it's open. So I think the catch controlled by the switch is functioning normally but not disengaging as the latch on the cap itself is not in the right position.

When open, I noticed a couple torx screws that appeared to anchor the latch and tried loosening them and tightening them but it does not appear to have made much difference. Nevertheless, the latch does seem to be working better now after my fiddling but I'm not confident that's going to last.

Anyone have a similar issue and/or have a fix? Irish and AMFixer? Common problem with an easy fix?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Never experienced the issue personally, but the 'credit card fix' has been brought up before. Try this: http://www.amoc.org/index.php?option...?topic=22002.0

Old 07-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Excellent thanks for the tip. The thread also contains a link to more useful info here at 6Speed. My bad for not doing a search first.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
The coupes are real easy to re-align..don't need to touch the bolts, just some little persuasion and it's aligned again. When it doesn't open, open door, stretch out arms, press the switch and with ur other other fast push the back of the flap..flap will open, although this takes awhile to get used to..the credit card trick might me easier on a first attempt...I see many of them and get lazy to get a tool to open it

To align the coupe model flaps, get flap open, wrap hands over the top and lower till your hands touch the body, other words get the flap closest to horizontal with ur hands cuffed over..then give push jolts to the flap, in the direction you need it aligned...done deal!!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:15 AM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Both of mine had the issue and were both corrected by dealer in a little less than an our.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:06 AM
LotusJPS is infamous around these parts
My car had this same issue from new when I purchased it. It turned out that the gas strut that opens the cover was not up to par. I had the dealer send me a new one (I live a long ways from a dealer) and installed it my self. Comparing the original and the replacement struts there was a huge difference in the pressure required to compress them. The top of the strut is real easy to get on/off, though the bottom was some what challenging due to lack of space. It's worked perfectly ever since.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LotusJPS
My car had this same issue from new when I purchased it. It turned out that the gas strut that opens the cover was not up to par. I had the dealer send me a new one (I live a long ways from a dealer) and installed it my self. Comparing the original and the replacement struts there was a huge difference in the pressure required to compress them. The top of the strut is real easy to get on/off, though the bottom was some what challenging due to lack of space. It's worked perfectly ever since.
That's on the roadster version though, coupe's don't have the same flap nor the shock damper