Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ski rack AM V8V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:49 AM
Jarod has a spectacular aura aboutJarod has a spectacular aura about
Ski rack AM V8V

Probably a bit early, but I am looking for a ski rack for my AM V8V in “James Bond” style for the winter season. Something like shown on the picture attached. Any ideas which aftermarket ski rack could fit?

Anyone using a ski rack on the AM V8V?

J

Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
There was a guy on here asking few months back the same thing, I responded to him about it with link to get it..I don't really have the time to check though..if you do a search on here I'm sure you'll find it, looked just like the pic you have

Old 07-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
No idea, but do you really want to take the Vantage to the slopes? I don't think the car would do very well on mountain roads covered in snow, not to mention the potential for the car getting scraped up by the rack, passersby carrying poles and skis, etc.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Have a few owners here that drive there AM's in the winter..with a good set of winters, AM's aren't that bad in the snow versus what most would believe..again "with a good set of winters"

Old 07-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Racer_X
No idea, but do you really want to take the Vantage to the slopes? I don't think the car would do very well on mountain roads covered in snow, not to mention the potential for the car getting scraped up by the rack, passersby carrying poles and skis, etc.
Sure, I don't have another car. The Aston is my daily driver in summer and winter; I use it since 2 winters now, and here in Switzerland winter-tyres are mandatory starting from October anyhow.

As irish07 mentioned, with a good set of winters the car is quite easy to drive. In fact it is easier driving the Aston then my 911 I owned before, as the Aston has a better weight distribution.

I used to carry my set of skiers inside the car (across the passenger seat) but I would prefer to store them on the roof / trunk.

@irish07: Thanks for info; I will search for the thread you mentioned.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by irish07
There was a guy on here asking few months back the same thing, I responded to him about it with link to get it..I don't really have the time to check though..if you do a search on here I'm sure you'll find it, looked just like the pic you have
irish07 is this the link you are talking about? http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/boot/boot.htm

You mentioned it in an older thread. Anyhow do you have some more info e.g. which make the rack is? Do you know someone you has a ski rack installed on an AM V8 Vantage?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:49 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
Have you seen the SeaSucker racks? I am sure they would ship over-seas.

I have had one of theri bike rack for several years now and have carried road and mountain bikes over long distances without any problems. They now make board racks that I am sure you be used for skis. Check them out:

http://www.seasucker.com/product-category/board-kayak/

Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Jarod
irish07 is this the link you are talking about? http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/boot/boot.htm

You mentioned it in an older thread. Anyhow do you have some more info e.g. which make the rack is? Do you know someone you has a ski rack installed on an AM V8 Vantage?
Yah that is the rack, and the same brand..just haven't seen the car in a while..don't really have any more info than that..see a lot of Porsche's in my area with ski racks, design is very much the same of that rack

Old 07-16-2012, 01:42 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
"As irish07 mentioned, with a good set of winters the car is quite easy to drive." I searched "Tire Rack" and can find NO winter tires listed for the Aston--any suggestions on Brand/Model and 19-inch size would be much appreciated.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:32 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
"As irish07 mentioned, with a good set of winters the car is quite easy to drive." I searched "Tire Rack" and can find NO winter tires listed for the Aston--any suggestions on Brand/Model and 19-inch size would be much appreciated.
Dick: Move up to the "Sport Pack" optional tire sizes for the Vantage: 245/40-19 and 285/35-19. Pirelli Winter Sottozeros are available (expensive) and as an option, the Continental Extreme Contact DWS might be a choice.
Those sizes fit fine on the standard width Vantage rims. Email me and I'll fill you in on my latest tire purchases since we last talked in person.

I would recommend to anyone considering a tire purchase that they move up to the optional sizes, as your tire choice expands from 3-4 selections to over a dozen (15 currently). I have not noticed any significant speedometer error moving to the optional sizes.

Last edited by DonL; 07-16-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added second comment
Old 07-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
I have the Pirelli Winter 270 Sottozero II AM9 (with AM identifier). They are available in 235/40 R19 and 275/35 R19. Not sure where to buy them in US though.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by irish07
Yah that is the rack, and the same brand..just haven't seen the car in a while..don't really have any more info than that..see a lot of Porsche's in my area with ski racks, design is very much the same of that rack
I gave roofrackshop a call, unfortunately they do not have rack fitting the AM V8 Vantage. But they provided me a link to a company in Netherlands which might. I will keep you guys posted.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 PM
K2snow is infamous around these parts
I would love to have a ski rack on our AMV8

Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by DonL
Dick: Move up to the "Sport Pack" optional tire sizes for the Vantage: 245/40-19 and 285/35-19. Pirelli Winter Sottozeros are available (expensive) and as an option, the Continental Extreme Contact DWS might be a choice.
Those sizes fit fine on the standard width Vantage rims. Email me and I'll fill you in on my latest tire purchases since we last talked in person.

I would recommend to anyone considering a tire purchase that they move up to the optional sizes, as your tire choice expands from 3-4 selections to over a dozen (15 currently). I have not noticed any significant speedometer error moving to the optional sizes.
If anything you should move down a size versus up..with winter tires you don't want to plow the snow, you want to cut through it, use a tire calculator to get a good size that is slight thinner in width.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

If you check the owners manual for a Vantage, Aston suggests(and has tested) Pirelli W240SN Front: 225/45R18 (95V) Rear: 255/40/R18 (95V), 18's are suggested for the extra side wall height..think of a elephants foot going into mud(google it), same kind of theroy with a taller side wall on a tire for winter/mud conditions.

If you want to stay with 19's, size would be, Front: 225/40R19, Rear: 255/35R19

Old 07-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
^^^ Tru said ... take it from the Canadians

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ski rack AM V8V