Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Hard time fueling my Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:26 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Hard time fueling my Vantage

I only needed about 5-gallons in my '08Vantage V8. I was in CA (with their special vapor capture hoses) and temp was a little over 90. I inserted the nozzle correctly started the pump and after 0.1 gallons it shut off. I tried several times, finally got about 0.2 gallon in. So I pulled the nozzle out and was very surprised to see gas to nearly the top of the filler--It wasn't going into the tank!

After several tries, and feeding the fuel very, very slowly, finally something changed, and it started accepting fuel into the tank normally. It's almost like a vent-hose was closed off--OR SOMETING? But I have no idea what was happening. I know several posters have had fuel-tank issues, is this just another common occurance with Astons?

Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 PM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
CA owner here; never had any starting pumping fuel issues on my V8VS. Usually I figure out the amount of fuel needed and notice that towards the end of my fueling, I sometimes need to manually give it that last gallon to get to that "20-gallon" capacity.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:46 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Same with Porsches.... put the hose in at an angle, say 90 degree AKA horizontal or even complete upside down AKA 180 degrees ,and try that. Interestingly, the problem seem to vary depending on the brand, I guess they each have their own approved pump they use in the gas stations

Old 07-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
The upside down method usually works for me.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:58 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Have had constant issues with my V12V, never had a problem with my 2009 V8V, go figure. It is worse at some stations (can't say I've noticed a visible difference in nozzles, though). Usually if I squeeze the trigger about 2/3 I can fill up without it clicking off too early; it just adds a few minutes to every fill-up.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Have not had this issue with my V8V but I know that sometimes the ground level can cause that. Check is the car is angled up or down a bit next time. I've found that can affect drainage speed of the gas depending on the internal configuration/angle of the inlet pipe. Also, if the car is hot this might affect the volume inside the tank. There have certainly been posts here from drivers who took their fill level beyond the click (particularly in high ambient temps) who then ended up with problems due to emissions codes.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:13 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
The thing that surprised me was when I took the nozzle out, there was gas in the filler pipe that was not draining in. That's why I thought there may be a blockage in a vent tube or something like that. I was wondering if AM-Fixer or Irish ever ran across this anomaly?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I've never ran across one with a fault like this yet, but it would be venting of the tank that cause this..the tank vents it's vapours to the chacoal canister..the canister then pushs air out the DMTL valve through the filter. If there is a blockage from the canister feed pipe to the DMTL filter, or DMTL valve is stuck closed..you would get this concern.

You could also get this concern if the fuel station pump pressure was to high, the DMTL valve hole is only about 1inch wide,so if the filling stations pumps the fuel in faster than the air can exit..same concern would ocur. Next time try putting the filler in all the way then pull out 1/4 of the way..I do this by habit on my own cars and do the same when I have to fill the cars I work on..again haven't had the issue so I can't really be of any more help than this

Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 AM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Wow I thought it was the gas pump, this happened to me twice over the passed two or three weeks. I used a different station and it work fined there.