Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 lowering springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:48 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
V8 lowering springs

Does anyone have pics of their car, before and after, with lowering springs? I saw on the RSC site that their lowering springs drop the car 1.25". That seems a lot, I was thinking about 3/4" to improve stance and handling but not make it so hard to negotiate my rural setting.
Feedback welcome, thanks, John

Old 07-27-2012, 11:19 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Here's a couple of pics of my old V8V with and without the springs, on OEM wheels. The drop was a bit too extreme for my liking, and in particular I felt it was too low at the back. I had occasional ground clearance issues, and other issues (see below) as a result. What I could never figure out was the quoted difference between the H&R sold by Tire Rack, and RSC springs. They were the same springs when you placed them side by side.

If I had kept the car I might have looked into getting custom spring perches on the back.

For more info look at:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...44sc-next.html

http://www.amoc.org/index.php?option...per&Itemid=118

Attached Images   
Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 PM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Here are some before/after snaps. The spacers are RSC, and the springs are H&R, sold to me by Stuart @RSC. They're around a 15mm drop, not the 1.25" drop. I like the look.

Attached Images     

Last edited by sonnyd; 07-27-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: made it mo' better
Old 07-27-2012, 12:45 PM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
more

Attached Images     
Old 07-27-2012, 12:46 PM
last two.

Attached Images   
Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Looks good, not too extreme and how I would have preferred mine to turn out. Did RSC change their springs, then?? Because that is not the drop I got...

Old 07-27-2012, 01:15 PM
No, they offer two different springs.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:22 PM
That makes more sense.
They did not when I got mine. So in that case, to the OP, I say go for it!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
thanks guys for the pics, very helpful. I have been speaking with Stuart and currently, they only offer the 1.25 drop lowering springs and a fully adjustable coilover kit.
I know some of the shops say their H&R's only drop the car .75, which is about what I want, so it does get confusing.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Purely subjectively, the lowering springs on my car were a noticeable improvement in all areas. Speedbumps ("sleeping policemen" for you lurking pistonheads guys) are less jarring, road imperfections generally have less crash to them, and the car has less roll especially on the quick changes of direction. And yes, it was pretty flat to start with. Steering is now little sharper, too. Of course, keep in mind the placebo effect of doing anything to your car you hope will improve it. "Ah yes—much better now!"

I got this done in conjunction with the RSC spacers, so keep that in mind. And you must get a geometry done when you get the goodies installed. Unsprung weight is reduced around a pound per spring. And if you'll notice that, I have this beautiful property for you....

You may notice a splitter on my car. That was provided my RSC, too. The fit and the finish on it couldn't be better. Well, the finish could be a little better now.

Hey, it's a car, not a museum piece!

Last edited by sonnyd; 07-27-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: make it mo' better!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Sonny, how much did the springs drop your car? Can you give me a measurement from front lip to pavement?

Good comment on the placebo effect, so true.

Last edited by riverflyer; 07-28-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:52 AM
JDB727 is infamous around these parts
Hi Guys,

Newbie on the forum with a May 2007 V8 Vantage 4.3L and eager to give my ride a more aggressive look, without changing its elegance and philosophy. AMV8S is my dream car / target objective....but at this stage I can't really afford the change. So I am looking for advice from all of you

So far, I have fitted V12 side sills on, as well as clear rear lights, and changed the original wheels to the 19'' OEM "spider look" wheels. And now, I was thinking of lowering the car with springs (RSC ?), while using wheels spacers (15mm front / 20mm back).

If you have recommendation on the route to chose / suppliers / precautions to take when fitting, it will be indeed very much appreciated. Again the goal is to come as close as possible to the V8 Vantage S

Looking forward to reading you and seeing further pictures

Thanks for the help to a passionated newbie

Old 07-30-2012, 04:43 AM
Originally Posted by riverflyer
Sonny, how much did the springs drop your car? Can you give me a measurement from front lip to pavement?
Can't right now, I'm on a trip. I can give you the lip measurement next week. PM me Sunday if I've not posted.

I asked the shop to measure pre/post drop, and they did. They measured from the top of the wheel arch to the tire, and while the exact measurements are away from me at the moment, I recall seeing the average drop to be in the 5/8"-3/4" range.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:39 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
So I'm still confused. What's the final consensus? Are there two different sets of springs with two different drops available? Looking at the pictures, I think Spinecho's drop is way too much—especially in the back. This is the usual drop amount I have seen in every picture of a Vantage with lowering springs and I think it looks awkward because the rear tire actually tucks in under the fender lip.

Sonnyd's pictures, on the other hand look perfect to me. If I could get a stance like that from springs and spacers, I would seriously consider doing that to my car.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Well, you should be confused. To make matters worse, the part numbers on the H&R springs are the same whether you get the 1.25" drop or the 5/8" drop. I found this out between receiving the springs and having them installed, and asked Stuart @RSC to confirm for me that the springs he sent were the lesser of the two ride heights, er, make that greater of the two ride heights. He said they were, and by golly, he was right!

But K-FM et al, Stuart is in the spring supply biz (among others), and I'm certain he can get you what you want. You could ask for the "SonnyD drop", although that sounds more like what I do after breakfast each day than something you'd want to install on your car.

Lowering springs—less is more. No, really!

Last edited by sonnyd; 07-30-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: 'cause I don't do nothin' right the first time

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8 lowering springs