Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Dash Leather Shrinkage Problems...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 PM
vonFerro is infamous around these parts
I myself have the following: cluster leather shrinkage (only visible from outside thankfully and when one looks for it), passenger dash panel has issues not unlike the stickie post in the forum, leather panels appear warped at corners somewhat (moreso indented), and the alcantara on the driver and passenger window pillars is loose in a couple areas. If you're looking to get the gauge cluster outright replaced try contacting HWM Aston Martin in the UK, ordering parts directly from a UK dealer has saved me a small fortune. I haven't looked up the cluster price myself but if someone else is being quoted $500 from a dealer in NA, it may be worth checking out abroad. Parts are coming from the UK anyway. I'll avoid doing it if I can get this repaired cheaply.

Any idea how to repair the alcantara coming off the pillars? Was thinking a needle and a bit of glue but I don't know. Definitely not taking the whole damn interior apart to fix a few nickel sized spots.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by macksamus
Another thing to consider is how frequently you condition your leather. One repair shop told me I should be conditioning the panels once a month. Another shop told me that twice a year is sufficient. If you condition frequently, you might weaken the adhesive as the conditioner actually works its way down into the leather.
I know I'm getting off the original subject here, but...

It's a falsehood that modern leather needs "conditioning". The leather used in most cars is urethane coated, and the coating is largely impermeable to oils, but will allow some water through. Furthermore, it doesn't lose its oils or need replenishing or 'feeding'. So conditioning with an oil based product means most of the product will sit on the surface, where all it will do is attract dirt and hasten wear, the very thing you are trying to avoid.

Re: Leatherique - I know some people swear by this product, and even professional detailers get into big debates as to whether it works or is safe. IMO any product that sits long enough on the leather (especially with heat, as Leatherique recommends) will penetrate to some degree. My problem with Leatherique is that they have never given a rational explanation as to why coated leather needs their product. Vintage leather, sure, but newer leathers don't need, won't benefit from, and could be harmed by feeding.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:12 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Leatherique - I know some people swear by this product, and even professional detailers get into big debates as to whether it works or is safe.

My wife sat on the leather seat of her Lexus with slightly wet jeans, and it left a blue stain on the seat. Leatherique Pristine Clean removed the stain completely without any damage to the seat--so that was one good use for the product.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:16 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Cheaper leather finishes are coated. High-end leather interiors are not. This is partly the reason better leather feels so much softer to the touch. I've been using Leatherique on my cars for over 15 years. It's a great product and I have seen some remarkable restorations and color changes using their products.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:51 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
K-F, I think you will find that most "high-end" leathers as you call them, are indeed coated. There are aniline or semi-aniline leather finishes, but those are typically stated as such by the manufacturer. For example, the DBS has semi-aniline leather (which still has a thin top coat, BTW). The DB7 Zagato had aniline leather. AFAIK the Vantage range and DB9 do not have aniline leather. Regardless, AFAIK modern day aniline or semi-aniline leathers are not supposed to be treated with an oil-based product.

I am not disagreeing with anyone who says they have had results with Leatherique - there are plenty of anecdotal claims to back this up, and it's great that you guys are happy. It's just that I would never use it, or any other oil-based product, for the reasons I listed above. I have never seen a current auto leather manufacturer advise an oil-based product. Indeed, Bridge of Weir, supplier to Aston Martin, recommend a product which I believe is made by Leather Master, and is therefore water-based.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Malibu101481 is infamous around these parts
So before we go way off topic is there any good repair shops anyone knows of??

Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Spinecho--you keep referring to "Oil Based Product", but here's a note from the Leatherique site--NO Oil base in their product:
REJUVINATOR -Known world wide for its ability to soften even cardboard hard leather. It is a complex blend of animal proteins, collagens, with absolutely no oil fillers of any kind. Totally unlike all other leather products, it will not stain or discolor leather. It is perfectly safe for equestrian use! Simply spray or wipe onto the surface and massage into the leather with your hands. Allow for it be absorbed into the fibers. Rejuvenator has a unique capillary action which forces proteins into the leather and dirt out!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 PM
OK, tahoe, checked out their site and your point about no oil is noted.

But Leatherique also say on their site: "Why isn’t the Rejuvenator Oil absorbing?
Because Leather is a fibrous substance, it is its nature to greedily drink in the beneficial nutrients of the Rejuvenator Oil....If your leather is not absorbing the Rejuvenator Oil it is because the pores of the leather are blocked. We suggest a thorough cleaning of the surface with prepping agent, or very light “buffing” of the surface with 400 grit wet or dry sand paper, used wet with prepping agent. This will break down the surface glaze and allow the Rejuvenator to penetrate fully."

Current automotive leathers do not need to "greedily drink in" anything. Please show me a leather manufacturer who states their product requires replenishing with protein or collagen.

And sanding the surface? I mean, wow. The reason their product won't absorb is the manufacturer coating, the very item that the manufacturer put there to protect the leather. And Leatherique staff would like you to remove that so that their product will then work? I think that sort of speaks for itself...

Old 08-08-2012, 12:51 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spinecho
Indeed, Bridge of Weir, supplier to Aston Martin, recommend a product which I believe is made by Leather Master, and is therefore water-based.
Spinecho which product is this specifically and where can it be found or purchased?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 PM
And sanding the surface? I mean, wow. The reason their product won't absorb is the manufacturer coating, the very item that the manufacturer put there to protect the leather.
Spinecho--sincere thanks for your comments, I didn't know leather seats were coated. I would use their "Pristine Clean" if I needed to get dirt or stains off my seats, but OMG, sanding my Aston Seats--or even any other leather, no way.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Tahoe, no worries. Leatherique has generated some controversy on the detailing forums, as you can imagine...

Sunir, just google Leather Master and there are lots of links to places that sell it. I have used LTT products for several years now on my cars and furniture and I'm really pleased with the results (they ship direct): http://www.lttsolutions.co.uk/

Both are water-based products that have a good reputation in the detailing community; Leather Master seems to be better known in North America. FWIW, I am not affilated with either company.