Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Traction Control?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 01:15 AM
akallday is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Traction Control?

Hello All,

Today I took another spirited drive throughout the Saratoga/Palo Alto mountains and pushed the car further than I usually do. (Ive owned it for about 2 weeks and am still learning its limits)

I left the traction control on and felt it was not nearly as intrusive as most cars I have driven. Before the drive I told myself I was going to turn it off but really didn't have the need to and I was pushing it what I thought was pretty hard. (Ill try to shoot some vids/pics next time)

Anyone have any opinions on the traction control on this car? I feel like AM got it just right as in its just there for emergencies instead of being an overprotective fun crusher like most of the vehicles Ive owned or driven.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:30 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Never bothered messing it on either of mine
The S has 3 stages

Old 08-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Honestly, I felt like my 4.3 L didn't really need traction control on dry pavement because the car was well balanced and lacked the power to get me into too much trouble. The V12V has three settings, normal, and track, and off. I have yet to turn the traction control off in my car, but I use the track setting often. It let's you have fun without letting you go too far.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:23 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I hate how the TRACK setting turns of the digital speedo in the V12. Is there a way around that?

I too feel the traction control has more liberty than say an Audi.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Just hit the "READ" button near the radio dial.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Perfect. Thanks!!!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:29 AM
klittlehale is infamous around these parts
I have never turned the traction control off when driving on public streets. After tracking the car pretty extensively and getting comfortable with it at its limits, I now routinely turn off traction control when driving on a dry track, ( I leave it on if the track is wet.) I personally would find it very hard to drive near the limits on public streets- particularly in the Bay Area--there are just too many uncontrolled variables. (Deer and bicyclists come to mind on the roads around Saratoga and Palo Alto.)

Old 08-05-2012, 11:34 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
With my old V8V, like klittlehale I saw little reason to turn of the stability control on the road; the car had way more grip than could be sanely exceeded in most road driving, and the system was well-judged. With the V12V, I find track mode gives just enough slip for enthusiastic road driving, but again, the car has a lot of mechanical grip in cornering and the main issue with the V12 is traction under acceleration.

Leaving the V8V system on while track driving just heats up the brakes. I've yet to track the V12V.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:23 PM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
I have a 2009 4.7 V8 and leave the traction control on all the time. You have to be sliding around quite a bit for it to intervene. For street driving I think they got it just right.