Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How can Aston Martin Take it to the Next Level?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 PM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
How can Aston Martin Take it to the Next Level?

Should Aston Martin spend more on technology development?

Is too much being spent on marketing efforts instead of engines, transmissions, interior upgrades?

Is there a need for new breakthrough designs to carry forward from the Vantage and the DB9?

Are the marketing and racing efforts a good use of precious funds?

As we all look at the marque, what is the key thing that will take it to the next level? If you were CEO of Aston Martin how would you focus the companies resources?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
If I were CEO of AML I would take a long drive in my new yet unreleased vanquish and ponder for hours on how I would budget for the next move... Then my CFO would ping in with the latest from his bean counters on production reports verses sales figures and revenue to date whilst telling me we should use yet another 6L v12 on yet another model because not enough r&d budget for a new engine!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sunir
If I were CEO of AML I would take a long drive in my new yet unreleased vanquish and ponder for hours on how I would budget for the next move... Then my CFO would ping in with the latest from his bean counters on production reports verses sales figures and revenue to date whilst telling me we should use yet another 6L v12 on yet another model because not enough r&d budget for a new engine!
Agree on engine performance.
We all agree that Aston designs one of the most (if not THE most) elegant automobiles in the world. Aston has a strong racing pedigree history. What I don't get is why they build engines so conservatively? If a 599 easily pushes 600+ HP, and a Murci pushes 600+ HP when they were produced in 2006, how is the current AM V12 in 2012 still under 550 HP?
Not saying they should compete with these cars but at least come close and produce some more power. It's rather sad that the new Vanquish will barely push 550 hp.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:22 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I agree. I know people always say that Aston is not about absolute performance, is above competing in the hp war, blah, blah, blah, but the they are falling behind. As I've said before, they don't need to be at the top, but they need to at least stay in the game.

R&D work is expensive and Aston has limited funds, but it seems like they could easily squeeze out more performance from the existing engine by relatively simple intake and exhaust modifications. A good example is the other thread talking about headers/cats raising power by over 70 bhp. Yes, it would increase the cost of the car to some degree, but it would keep Aston competitive.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Aston needs a deep pocket partner if it is going to remain relevant and contemporary.

My fear is they become like Morgan. Beautiful, tradition bound and a hobby.

Modern cars are a technical business and at the moment they are really lacking. There is absolutely no reason an Aston can't have the same degree of technology found in a McLaren. Why not a carbon tub? Why no active suspension that gives you comfort and track? Why no proper dual clutch transmision? In five years it will have to!! The competition is moving on. Astons idea of a car will become an old idea. Where is the Aston equivilant to the new 918 or C-X75?

Do they have a plan to provide hyper performance in a more regulated world? KERS units? Hybrids? What is the future going to be for this brand as at the moment they feel like they have perfected the past.

I was at a Vanquish launch and saw the car in the flesh. It was beautiful, but not enough has been changed. It's too traditional, the car will look old hat in a year. For all the talk of the ugly splitter (looks great in person), the car is too tame. They took exactly no risks. It needs more of the One-77 in it. This car must find a way to embrace the tradition of the past without sacrificing the future. Ferrari does a nice job of this.

I love the brand, but they need more tech and a few risks.

Last edited by black penguin; 10-03-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
i think they need to keep up their racing program for marketing and engine development. racing will help show that they're still making performance cars, even if they aren't as competitive as other marques. but their racing program is also tiny. there's exactly ONE Aston Martin in all of ALMS. if anything, that adds to the exclusivity and rareness of the brand, but at the same time, they need to be competitive or lagging results can ruin the performance image of their cars.

one thing i would do differently with their racing program, however, is make it more interactive with potential buyers. what really got me stuck on AM was actually driving a V8V. i'd driven a lot of cars while shopping around - BMWs, Porsches, Jags, etc - but the V8V was the only car that i just had to have. i know it could add a lot of difficulty in regard to time management and logistics, but taking AMs to track events (HPDEs, open track days, etc) and having a pro driver take passengers around to show what an AM can do on a track could help snag some extra buyers. plus it'll raise more awareness of AM as a performance car and not just something to be looked at.

when i was at an HPDE in March, i had a ton of people checking out my car. then AM's racing team showed up. their V8 Vantage GTE had just shown up from England and was at the track for a shakedown before being run in ALMS. i saw it race in the 12 Hours of Sebring not long after that (i think it lost a wheel in that race lol).

if anything, they could bring over a race-prepped car (or even a special track edition like the N24) to give people a taste of what an AM is like unleashed. Ferrari's been able to gather a massively loyal following based on its racing pedigree. AM needs to do that.

but yeah, they need more development in their engines. more up-to-date technology and better fuel efficiency solutions (the Cygnet is a joke, and not a funny one).

and yes, there are some easy places to find power and AM needs to do that at least as a stop-gap to prevent falling even further behind everyone else.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
What bothers me is the comments from you guys.
The bottom line is you think they should be chasing everyone else.
I believe in setting your own standards, your own course...not trying to out-number someone else.
Professional racers need to be concerned with 0-100 times. If you are a pro racer then even the Ferrari and Lambo brands have to modify a stock car to compete.
I love that there is one exotic car company more concerned with making the best looking sport car, the most comfy and most all-around of the class. Not everyone cares for having the most power.
I do care about power but it's not number one on my priority list.

Maybe I don't understand you guys because I've never been the guy who needed a car to compensate for something I lacked. There are enough speed monsters out there. We need one company to make beautiful and fast GT's...but they don't have to be the fastest.

With that being said I do want Aston to provide the most updated tech but not for the purpose of brute power. I want access to the internet when I cruise. I want the best sounding music. I want the best navigation out there. I want a reliable car. Aston already makes them beautiful. The best looking there is imo.

I wouldn't mind if one of their models was dedicated to pure performance. But the rest can remain true to their core values.

Last edited by ice350; 10-03-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Right now Aston is focused on the Asian market..Aston just opened up 10 dealerships in the Asian market, they are now overwhelmed with spending in advertising and technical training department. The idea of a deep pocket partner is in the air..but has been changed so many times..from ford to toyota to mclaren to benz to..etc

The AM racing department will always be forced on with CEO Dr Bez running the show..every see what he does in his past time? But also with Dr Bez running things, you will never see forced induction on any of his future creations..only believes in N.A

Funding will not be put into other engine platforms for some time..AM will continue to use what they have for there is a lot of room for improvement..the V8 might be replaced come the ford contract end, talks of the new engine platform is all up in the air but nothing in writing..but the V12 will continue to be used..if it wasn't for CARB law Aston would be pumping out power..AM doesn't need funding to make big power, they can already do this with what they have..but it's getting it to be CARB friendly..why do you think the Vanquish took a dive, wasn't because of the new released DB9 in 2005..CARB law did not allow Vanquish for after 2006, so it was dropped..so story of it all, Cali buying/selling population is what keeps AM a float.. this all may sound stupid, but all true facts

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 AM
macksamus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ice350
What bothers me is the comments from you guys.
The bottom line is you think they should be chasing everyone else.
I believe in setting your own standards, your own course...not trying to out-number someone else.
Professional racers need to be concerned with 0-100 times. If you are a pro racer then even the Ferrari and Lambo brands have to modify a stock car to compete.
I love that there is one exotic car company more concerned with making the best looking sport car, the most comfy and most all-around of the class. Not everyone cares for having the most power.
I do care about power but it's not number one on my priority list.

Maybe I don't understand you guys because I've never been the guy who needed a car to compensate for something I lacked. There are enough speed monsters out there. We need one company to make beautiful and fast GT's...but they don't have to be the fastest.

With that being said I do want Aston to provide the most updated tech but not for the purpose of brute power. I want access to the internet when I cruise. I want the best sounding music. I want the best navigation out there. I want a reliable car. Aston already makes them beautiful. The best looking there is imo.

I wouldn't mind if one of their models was dedicated to pure performance. But the rest can remain true to their core values.
I tend to agree with Ice. Most of us aren't professional race car drivers. That said, what difference does shaving a few tenth's of a second really do for any of us? It seems that this whole HP war is nothing but a giant dick measuring contest or something to brag about at ****tail parties.

I believe that Astons are almost perfect for what they are designed to be...a true GT car, and probably the best looking in its class. Astons are so much more than just about power or the raw numbers. If the latter is your biggest concern, then go grab yourself a "Datsun" GT-R or something equivalent. But I guarantee you'll be longing for the Aston in no time, even if it "underperforms."

Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Aston does not have the be the most powerful, just be somewhere in the mix for the performance envelope, rather then the last of the group and costing the same amount if not more then competitors, The 599 GTB has a v12 also and makes gobs of hp/tq and is a missile....if Ferrari can play by the same import/CARB laws why can't Aston do the same, there is so much more left in the AM-6.0L V12.

Aston is beautiful, exotic, rare, graceful and all that...but lets not forget what made Aston so special in the first place -it was racing! Aston does have a wonderful racing lineage and a long history. They are performance exotics, and they need to remember the performance part of that equation. AML needs to step their game up in that catagory, they already have everything else right.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
ice350

ICE350 you are making a huge assumption when you state that the rest of us "performance and numbers" guys are COMPENSATING for something. We aren't, we just want our cars to be the ultimate expression of the idea. That's how these kinds of cars progress, by trying to do what was not possible, to go faster etc.

Astons have been more than just GT cars. The Vantages in particular have always been "dashing" muscle cars. These cars are about a visceral connection with the art of motoring. You can feel the materials, the craft, the sound and the soul of the car. Its also the way they drive, so there is no reason we can't design the new cars to those ideals. Leather gives way to alcantara, wood gives way for carbon fiber, etc.
This is not about them chasing everyone else. Its about them not resting on their laurels. Its about creating a contemporary expression of the brand.

You must change just to stay the same. The idea of a GT car has changed over the years and will continue to change.

We have to remember Astons of the old days were technical marvels. They were race cars. They offered a level of performance that dwarfed a regular car, back in the day.

That last point is really important because the average car of today is faster, more luxurious and capable than any vintage Aston could have ever dreamed of. Everyone has moved the game forward, so must Aston. We just have to do it in the Aston way.

Last edited by black penguin; 10-03-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
First you tell us that 'power' guys have their priorities screwed up, and then you go on to say:

Originally Posted by ice350

With that being said I do want Aston to provide the most updated tech but not for the purpose of brute power. I want access to the internet when I cruise. I want the best sounding music. I want the best navigation out there.
Well, lots of people would say your priorities are not the ones of a car guy.

Internet access?...Go to a cafe
Great sound?....Go listen to your home stereo
Best Nav?...Get a map

None of the 'toys' on your list means a hill of beans when it comes to Aston ownership.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
First you tell us that 'power' guys have their priorities screwed up, and then you go on to say:

Well, lots of people would say your priorities are not the ones of a car guy.

Internet access?...Go to a cafe
Great sound?....Go listen to your home stereo
Best Nav?...Get a map

None of the 'toys' on your list means a hill of beans when it comes to Aston ownership.
..that didn't take long! ..

side note: (if you cross your eyes, these 2 laughing faces look like a bouncing rack ..yes I'm young and have nothing better to do )

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by irish07
..that didn't take long! ..

side note: (if you cross your eyes, these 2 laughing faces look like a bouncing rack ..yes I'm young and have nothing better to do )
shouldn't you be working on some poor sap's blown engine now haha!

okay okay here are some more bouncing racks for ya... !

PS. thanks for the advice on the window calibration, haven't attempted it yet kinda scared but may give it a go

Old 10-03-2012, 01:52 PM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
Had the pleasure of seeing ALMS Ohio three years in a row. While the AM race cars looked stellar, they tracked like Model Ts when compared to the cars fronted by Audi, Corvette, Porsche (go Lizards!), et al. Coming on dead last on Sunday will certainly not help sell cars on Monday. Besides, most AM buyers don't follow the races.

Put the money into design. There are a lot of buyers that will buy a stellar ride no matter how slow it is. Look no further than Harley-Davidson. Slow, dated technology (V-rod notwithstanding), but sales remain strong with its faithful following.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How can Aston Martin Take it to the Next Level?