Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Drove the V12 Yesterday ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I've owned the R8 and now own a V8 Vantage. The R8 is actually much quieter than the Vantage. There are many exhaust options for the R8... I think the R8 has the better sounding exhaust.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:43 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Everyone has their own opinions, and each one is worth nothing, but here's mine:

I have owned a V8 Vantage, currently a V12 Vantage, 2 TT and a R8 V10. My best friend also runs an R8 V10.

It's hard to go wrong with any of the cars mentioned above. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Ultimately one will suit your needs and hopefully make you weak in the knees.

On cold startup the R8 is very loud for two mins or so. After that its pretty subdued. Once you have it rev'd up, that V10 is a glorious thing. It just howls away behind you. But what you don't get is all that crackle and pop the V12 gives you, it's also light on bass. The Lambo version sounds better. During city driving it's pretty exhaust note free in the R8 cabin, but there is a lot of other mechanical noise. The induction sound is nothing like you would get in a McLaren.

The R8 is a really sharp driver though. The gated 6spd is fantastic and its so much fun to clack away at it. The clutch is light and you can heel toe without issue. It might even be easier than the Aston. I have the steel brakes and the carbons on the V12 are far easier to modulate. I find the R8 a little grabby on the street, but perhaps a pad change might solve that.

The R8 is a very easy car to drive hard. It's rear biased, but the Aston is just that bit more tail happy. The V12 Vantage is beastly compared to the R8, no matter what the numbers say. The Aston is more alive, angrier and it hunts more. Perhaps when I change the tires and suspension setup on the R8 they will be closer in feel. I suspect that's just an Audi character trait because the R8 really performs!!! You have to want to rev it.

The V8 Vantage also sounded amazing and was a great car to rev. A fantastic V8 character. The V12 is a different animal. It does not rev to 8500 rpm like the R8, but it revs quickly and will bounce off the limiter if you don't pay attention. It just loves to pull and always seems to be in the RIGHT gear.

Both cars are very exotic in construction. The Aston is mid front engined and the R8 being mid- read with the transaxle hanging out back. Both are hand made, both are aluminum.

The Aston is finished FAR better than the R8. Many of the R8 interior bits (plastic surrounds, console, buttons etc) feel very cheap, hollow and rickety. It all works great, but its not bespoke like the Aston. It lacks the sense of occasion my Astons had and the new model is addressing that. The seating is good, but my V12's are better. The view is awesome, the Astons is more dramatic, but claustrophobic in comparison. You see the edges in the R8, you imagine them in the Aston.

One thing I love about the Aston is the use of materials. The grille is actual metal not a cheap egg crate grille. The buttons and dials have weight. That is the one area the Adton really leaves the R8 behind.

You get a reverse camera in the R8, very useful.

Both cars look fantastic. Both Audi and Aston know how to fit wheels to a car. The R8 has that fantastic fat ***. The V12 Vantage has those great curves. Hell, they are both great from nearly every angle.

Drive both cars. You cannot go wrong with either. I love them both. The Aston has gotten under my skin more because I like cars that have a bit more character, more noise etc. but I would hate to part with the R8, and once I get it sorted who knows.

I know the first time I drove my friends on a track I was amazed. He on the other hand is always commenting on how good my Aston sounds. The R8 is faster, the V12 feels faster.

Enjoy them!!

Last edited by black penguin; 12-14-2012 at 04:39 PM.