Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Nav Unit/Fascia ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Nav Unit/Fascia ?

Is the nav unit attached to the back of the fascia, or to the dash? It appears that it is screwed to the back of the fascia rather than the dash, and therefore comes along for the ride when the trim panel is removed. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
There are 2 types of the nav screen..1 is just plastic attaching bracket and the other is a spring..the plastic bracket type just detaches from the sides, I use a plastic panel tool and carefully pry the sides of the bracket to detach from the screen unit. the spring type is just a tension spring jammed into the back of the screen cover, you can just pull the spring from the veneer cover backing. The veneer and the nav screen are not one unit for neither systems..the nav screen and veneer need to be seperated prior to removing the center ski slope veneer(the ski slope veneer and nav veneer are attached together and stay as 1 piece when removing)

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

The Nav veneer is a separate piece from the ski slope veneer, that I understand. And I understand that the only thing holding the Nav veneer in place is the fact that it is attached to the nav screen.

My question is: Is the nav unit attached to the back of the ski slope veneer or to the dash? If it is attached to the ski slope veneer, then removal of the ski slope veneer means the nav unit comes with it. And, if that's true, then the nav veneer can stay attached to the nav screen during ski slope removal.

The DB9 workshop manual does not indicate that the nav veneer must be removed first. It just shows the entire ski slop being removed as a single item (including the nav veneer). I just want to confirm that this is true, that the nav veneer can be removed first if desired, or remain in place during ski slope removal because the nav unit is attached to the ski slope and not the dash.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 AM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
The nav veneer & the ski slope are joined and come off together. The nav display has to be unclipped from the nav veneer first (the wiring is short). The nav display will lay flat on its face in the cubby hole.

Also probably best to tape the nav veneer in place when removing the combined veneer pieces because the nav veneer flops around & is easily damaged.

See this infamous and frightening video at about 3:30

Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yvr
The nav veneer & the ski slope are joined and come off together. The nav display has to be unclipped from the nav veneer first (the wiring is short). The nav display will lay flat on its face in the cubby hole.

Also probably best to tape the nav veneer in place when removing the combined veneer pieces because the nav veneer flops around & is easily damaged.

See this infamous and frightening video at about 3:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCwOa...layer_embedded

I power open the nav screen, or by hand..depedning on if the screen works or not..detach the nav veneer.

I then power close the nav screen, or by hand if it's not working..but i also ckeep the detached nav veneer rested against the back of the nav screen..otherwise the veneer can get caught and crack.

Then I release the ski slope metal clips, now have access to the connector so now you can remove them..and now remove the ski slope veneer..but like above becareful not to tilt the ski slope veneer or you can damage the nav veneer..nav venner is attached to the ski slope veneer by hinges ..the nav screen unit is screwed/secured the the dash frame

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Got it. What was unclear was how the nav door is attached to the ski slope, because I have a skip slope and door that I bought used and they are not attached to each other (they came as separate pieces with no obvious hinge mechanism).

I now see that the door is attached to the back of the slope with some sort of plastic bracketry, which presumably needs to be removed from the old slope and attached to the new one when swapping veneer pieces (unless the bracket already comes attached to the veneer when purchasing new?).

In any case, I see from the video that the nav unit stays in place in the dash cubby. It is interesting to note that the DB9 workshop manual doesn't mention a thing about having to first unclip the nav door from the screen...it just says to remove the veneer panel. Crappy workshop manual if that is the case.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Basic Sponsor
hehe..don't get me started on crappy workshop manuals

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 PM
dehnert is infamous around these parts
If only you could plug in an 09' and later radio facia back in after you pulled the older model out.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:06 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
My stomach started churning a little when watching that, esp when he's prying the top waterfall veneer ... I was eating lunch in my office while viewing, maybe that's why lol !