Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2011 xkr

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 01:43 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ If you go with the ACE wheel and change your mind, you would be out much $$$ and you could prolly sell them pretty easily..... Check and make sure the offsets aren't too aggresive for the car. Several pics of AMs here with a very aggresive fitment.

FWIW, I've got 20s on my DB9 and there really isn't a noticeable diff from the 19s.

Good luck.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
You guys are crazy with the chrome strip. I think it looks much better in black - even the wife agrees. The chrome around the windows and the aluminum mesh nose can stay. But if you look at the XKR-S there is no chrome on the rear and it definitely looks more sporty - and no it doesn't look Hyundai-ish. Would definitely not accentuate the Jaguar working as I would downplay the brand. Not a huge brand person - and would actually prefer folks wonder what the heck it is!

Regarding the wheels I will definitely stay 20' as that is what came with the car. A matte black mesh or multi-spoke wheel that highlights red calipers would be nice. But so would some brush aluminum centered wheels that look like jewelry!

Old 12-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Banned
Rotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by yvr
@Rotes -- What happened to that fine display of multi-nationalism that used to appear with your posts?
Originally Posted by FatFrank
Yeah, we liked that!
haha, thanx fella's.......I have to change them up......get bored
Originally Posted by Evoking
multi-nationalism? I'm lost...
they're refurring to a picture I had up....lol.....

when considering after market wheels.....
you can't go wrong with HRE....

from the pix you posted.........I saved these a while back.....simply amazing....
I can vouch for HRE too, I have three sets: R43's, P47SC's and P40Sc's....
all top notch!

Old 12-24-2012, 03:18 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Rotes
haha, thanx fella's.......I have to change them up......
Well then,how about you post a reasonable resolution copy in the thread for us to bookmark?

As it is it's gone forever

I'm sure even Jag owners would appreciate it!

FF

Last edited by FatFrank; 12-24-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:17 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evoking
. Would definitely not accentuate the Jaguar working as I would downplay the brand. Not a huge brand person - and would actually prefer folks wonder what the heck it
I don't think people would not know it was a jag even if you blacked out the entire car, jag is a very well known brand with many models and cars on the road, the xk series is well established and people know and like them. If anything people mistake astons for jags or at least that's been my personal experience... People ask me if my DB is a jag all the time, almost everytime I drive it, ussually at a gas station when I'm filling up the thirsty v12 lol I think people think other cars like astons or bentleys are jags or that astons are mazaratis or even bentleys (my Aston has been mistaken for both of those too). I don't think there is any mistaking a jag, it has presence, its a very well known brand, its a larger company with more cars on tne road and a larger advertizing budget, and it has a styling people know and associate other brands with.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:10 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Congrats on the British car.
I have the same dilemma with my DBS - trying to find a sophisticated wheel set.
I'm not in favor of mesh style wheels - save for BMW's.
I'm leaning towards a 5 split spoke concave wheel, e.g. Donz Forged Ferranti.

Last edited by plastique999; 12-25-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
No doubt. And certainly not trying to NOT be a Jag - quite proud of the racing history actually as well as some of the technology they have pioneered etc. I just didn't see a need to highlight the brand.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:18 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by sunir
I don't think people would not know it was a jag even if you blacked out the entire car, jag is a very well known brand with many models and cars on the road, the xk series is well established and people know and like them. If anything people mistake astons for jags or at least that's been my personal experience... People ask me if my DB is a jag all the time, almost everytime I drive it, ussually at a gas station when I'm filling up the thirsty v12 lol I think people think other cars like astons or bentleys are jags or that astons are mazaratis or even bentleys (my Aston has been mistaken for both of those too). I don't think there is any mistaking a jag, it has presence, its a very well known brand, its a larger company with more cars on tne road and a larger advertizing budget, and it has a styling people know and associate other brands with.
When I had my 08 XKR new, people generally did not know what it was and used to ask me if it was an Aston Martin - Unbelievable I know. I think it was the hips and the rear 3/4 view that used to most confuse them.

Personally, I think Ian Callum changed up the front of the XK on purpose so as it didn't look like an Aston. What other excuse could there be for those odd looking front headlamps on the Jag?

Then again, at this years Woodward Cruise someone asked me what type of Bentley my 9 was I suppose there must be something overwhelmingly similar about the look of British cars!

FF

Old 12-24-2012, 08:30 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ I think the xk, DB, and CGT bentleys are all fabulous looking cars. Ian callum designing the DB and then going over to jag we definately see similarities. I like the looks of both the desings and think that these similarities are why most people cannot differentiate between the two models. Since people see more xk cars on the road and since jag dwarfs Aston in sales and production figures most people assume the DB is an xk, it's purely logical one may think that's the case. It may also work the other way around but less likely due to the relative numbers on the road of each respective model.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Technically that would be true. But 1) XK's are quite uncommon. 2) If the XK in question is lowered or particularly striking in appearance to the observer they will assume it is the more extreme mark or brand that pops in their head for such svelte bond-ish sexy coupes- Aston. This may be why more people assume my car is an Aston than Jag. Because Aston has more name recognition for sexy exotic coupes. Whereas Jag is more recognizable and associated with big luxurious sedans - but we digress ;-)

Old 12-24-2012, 09:06 PM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
@Evoking - are you just trying to flatter us because you've crashed the Aston Forum

Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 PM
These are looking pretty sick. Blacked out but with just the rivets to resurrect some texture and depth. The multi-spoke exposed the red calipers and the lip accentuated the rear drive muscle!

Or these Interad DTM

Or These Rennen R9 Concave in Black

Last edited by Evoking; 12-24-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:55 PM
The wheels on the gtr would look great on your xk... I think you have a winner there especially w the black wheels and silver rivets combines w the multispoke concave look, that would set off your jag just right

Old 12-25-2012, 12:14 AM
mfrankel is infamous around these parts
I love this topic because generally speaking, we generally tend to agree with each other, with the exception of wheels.

My overlying advice...you have a beautiful vehicle. When I look at it, I want to see the vehicle, and not just the wheels. You want to complement because you don't need to compensate.

My 9 is black, and I thought black in the wheel made it look very aggressive-in a good way. I didn't go full black and I thought a 2-tone wheel done well showed more sophistication...personal opinion. Typically in 2-tones I see the spokes in black & lip in chrome/machine, and I liked the more rare reverse look. The V12V has a similar stock 2-tone.

I like flare versions of 5 star, with some subtle character in the spoke, and appreciate when lug nuts are thought about in overall design. Some liked my wheels, several did not. I did a ton of looking around and found something I think is clean & aggressive but understated- what I wanted...I hope you find what you want & enjoy.

I also think the general trend (who cares) is away from lip, and towards concavity...although concavity is tough with the AM brake setup....don't know if it would be the same for you.

I’m in love with my more aggressive stance that I and others have achieved with a wider than stock wheel to fill out the body flares. It really makes a big visual impact IMO. I went with 9” in front 10.5” in back. It could just be in my head, but I think the wider stance has improved my cornering & overall comfort (although this could also be attributed to swapping our stock Bridgestones for Pilot Super Sports...tires are another debate entirely...and also some great info on this forum for that).

Good Luck & please do us the favor of posting results!

Last edited by mfrankel; 12-25-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:36 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sunir
The wheels on the gtr would look great on your xk... I think you have a winner there especially w the black wheels and silver rivets combines w the multispoke concave look, that would set off your jag just right
I will respectfully disagree with Sunir on the rivets. I think rivets are a bit old in terms of design and may be a bit aggressive for a classy British car (hence seeing it on a GTR may work).
I still think British cars we are discussing are the most elegant in terms of design and a clean concave wheel would complement it well.
This of course is a personal opinion and why this thread has such varying opinions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 xkr