Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2011 xkr

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
2011 xkr

Gang,

I know it isn't an Aston but you guys are a much more active bunch! Therefore you are more likely to give me feedback on my mods such as my wheel search etc. This is one of the downsides of Jag ownership. There are a handful of performance enthusiasts but most aren't. So when you mod or want to see others that have mods there won't be much action!

Anyhow, here is my XKR. It is my first GT (well I had an SL500 10 years ago for like 3 months and sold because it was too boring). I generally have had full on sportscars like NSX, Viper GTS, Z4M, Lotus, Z06, etc. The XKR is like a sledgehammer wrapped in leather and alcantara.

Btw, the last two pics are when I visited one of my buds that works at a dealership. He suggested I black out the chrome strip on the back. He put electrical tape on it and I must say it looked better.

Last edited by Evoking; 12-24-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 AM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
Just popped over to have a look at the "Other British" forum. You're not kidding -- it's really quiet over there!

I don't mind the chrome strip across the back (similar to DBS or Vanquish) although it's probably a bit heavy visually. It looks sort of ok blacked out too, but when I compare it to the back end of the Panamera in the same shot, and I think I prefer the chrome.

I'd like to see what it looks like with the brake cooling ducts in the front bumper blacked out -- they just seem a bit too prominent in chrome.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Banned
Rotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to behold
that's one NICE Jaguar you have there mister.....

happy holidays

Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 AM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
@Rotes -- What happened to that fine display of multi-nationalism that used to appear with your posts?

Old 12-24-2012, 11:23 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Hi Evoking,
I have had a couple of XKRs before so I know what you mean....03 & 08. Anyway as you're asking I like the ride height but the wheelarchs need filling out IMHO. One of the best wheels I've seen for this on the XKR is the factory twin 5-spoke (20" Sentas I think), nice and wide and had them on my 08. Or leave it as is if you like the E-type look - some Jag guys do.

I would also dechrome the car, but put the windows back to normal tint otherwise it'd be too much I'm sure. Check out the pics of my 9 it's black and done like that. Some people like it, some people like the classic chrome look of a British car. Your choice of course.

Last time my 9 was at the dealer a blacked out XKRS was parked in line behind me. It looked good, but not as good as mine

FF

Attached Images  

Last edited by FatFrank; 12-24-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by yvr
@Rotes -- What happened to that fine display of multi-nationalism that used to appear with your posts?
Yeah, we liked that!

Old 12-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
multi-nationalism? I'm lost...

Old 12-24-2012, 11:34 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Beautiful car. My old man has an 08 XKR with the wheels mentioned above and I have to agree it sets the car off perfect.

He sent the ecu and had a new pulley done. Believe it was Paramount in England. The car is a BEAST now and this was before they upgraded the power.

With reference to the de-chroming of the car I would figure out which look you like best. If you black out the air ducts, it would look good IMO to do window trim and all.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:46 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I like the chrome strip on the back as well, without it - it comes across as sort of Hyundai-like. However, what would look trick is to highlight the ' JAGUAR' script within the chrome, either with paint or some vinyl letters cut to fit in the recesses.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by drcollie
I like the chrome strip on the back as well, without it - it comes across as sort of Hyundai-like. However, what would look trick is to highlight the ' JAGUAR' script within the chrome, either with paint or some vinyl letters cut to fit in the recesses.
Dr. C,
I'm am most surprised about that script idea! Have been on the Christmas sherry already!

Happy Christmas!

FF

Old 12-24-2012, 12:13 PM
The wheel questions are:

1) to lip or not to lip - or concave

2) then to mesh, 5 spoke or mutli-spoke

I have done lots of mesh in the past and they always look great. But with a long nose GT a deep or concave 5 or multi-spoke looks the biz.

Here are some looks I'm considering. They range from $1400 Ace Convex to $3500-$6000 for HRE, D2 and Modulare. I love them all. Just have to imagine what will set of the lines of the long muscular XKR best!

Old 12-24-2012, 01:08 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Love for our British brethern..... My wife's DD: 2011 Jaguar XJ Supersport!

Can't go wrong with concave HREs but, I am a little partial. The ACE wheel is also nice and would compliment. I think multi-pc wheels w/lip would ruin the look but multi-pc concave with little or zero lip would look great, especially with a dark center on your black car. 20" would be as large as I would go especially since your car is lowered.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Here you go.....I love the overall look but still prefer the Sentas though....

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2012, 01:36 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
That is a very nice XKR you have, welcome to the Aston forum feel free to post about your car here, it's a nice one and many of our members have jags too. I like the lowering on your car, I think the blackened rear strip would look best with the letters for Jaguar script left in chrome only. I'd do that and leave the front scoops as they are.. As for wheels I'd go 20s at most (19s work fine also for more compliant ride and thicker sidewall tires) .... I'd consider the wheels on your post on the black jag, they look spectacular. Maybe in a brushed silver finish.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Not only do the stock split 5 spokes only look good for "stock wheels" - no comparison to clean aftermarket - but they would also date the car as they were on the pre-2010 XKR's. I am leaning toward the Ace for Bang for Buck. But I wonder if I will feel like a cut a corner and should have gotten HRE, D2, Modulare or something.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 xkr