Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Squeaky Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM
mikes300 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DonL
I installed the Porterfields on my Vantage and used the "old" factory backing pads without any extra "goo". I've not experienced the noise issues that you apparently are having-maybe that's the solution?
I'd also like to let you know that I have "track time" on the pads and find them quite suitable, and yes they dust a lot less than the standard pads!

EuroSunday is in Walnut Creek this Sunday-stop by and we can compare experiences?
I thought about that, but figured the ones on the porters would be plenty, I think I threw the stockers away. I do need rotors, so I'm sure that part of the problem too..

Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by karlfranz
^^^^ Hmm. Porterfields are very quiet and dust-free pads. Who did the install? I wonder if something was done incorrectly. When I did my install, I transferred the anti-squeal shims from the stock pads.
Originally Posted by DonL
I installed the Porterfields on my Vantage and used the "old" factory backing pads without any extra "goo". I've not experienced the noise issues that you apparently are having-maybe that's the solution?
I'd also like to let you know that I have "track time" on the pads and find them quite suitable, and yes they dust a lot less than the standard pads!
The Porterfields have been absolutely silent on mine (the OEMs were doing that annoying low speed squeaking). I also transferred over the OEM shims however (based on recommendations in a previous thread, a post by KF IIRC wherein I also found the recommendation from him for these pads - Props to KF again), and there was liberal application of a copper-based anti-sieze in the process.

The Porterfields are not dustless by any means but certainly less than OEM and they performed great at a couple track days.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:00 PM
KidRacer is infamous around these parts
Ive owned a V12V for almost 2 years and my brakes which are carbon fiber, always make that horrific high pitched squeal. Only when i get them nice and hot does it stop, but living in NYC, thats basically impossible. Ive learned to live with it sadly.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:56 PM
wem
wem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Fubar
Ah, the age old question. WTF are my brakes making all that noise for!?!?

I tried some anti-noise grease between the brake pistons and the pads (it wasn't any recommended stuff, just a autozone special). It didn't seem to help. Any other thoughts on this issue?

2012 V8 Vantage S, with 5500 miles... they only start squeaking at under 10mph. That last little bit of the stop, when every one around has plenty of time to look at the jalopy your driving and ponder what kinda idiot doesn't fix the noise. It's infuriating!

I have also tried a few hard stops (kicking on anti-lock). Sometimes it will go away if I heat up the brakes (basically driving with my foot on the brake). It comes back when they cool down tho.

Any new ides?
I called Porterfields for information on the appropriate R4S pads for my 2012 V8VS. They were not able to give me a part number for the pads for the S. For those who have switched to the Porterfields pads on a Vantage S, I would appreciate information on the appropriate Porterfield pads. The dealer tried to fix the squeal on the OEM pads twice including the blue paste, but he noise is starting to come back.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:57 PM
DonBond is just really niceDonBond is just really niceDonBond is just really niceDonBond is just really nice
Originally Posted by KidRacer
Ive owned a V12V for almost 2 years and my brakes which are carbon fiber, always make that horrific high pitched squeal. Only when i get them nice and hot does it stop, but living in NYC, thats basically impossible. Ive learned to live with it sadly.
Wow, that's a lot to have to live with.......all that technology and can't utilize it. I suppose that's a lot to ask living in LA. Isn't much better where I live. I want to move to Montana for pete's sake.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:05 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I think I posted this before...but here goes again...

Brake squeal is caused by high-speed vibration of the pad as it contacts the rotor. The pad on many performance cars fits loose in the caliper so that when you get on the track and expands from the heat, its perfect in the fitment (and no squealing on hot brakes, have you noticed?). When cold, they fit loosely in the caliper. So, all attempts to fix a squeal have to do with isolating the movement of that pad within the bracket. Shims, goop, spring clips, etc. can all do that to some degree but are only moderately successful. You bought a performance car that was set up to be driven aggressively with hot brakes and noisy brakes are part of that equation when they're cold.

Solutions?

1) Change pads. Different makers have different tolerances. You want a pad that fits tight in the caliper.

2) Smile when you hear 'em squeal, knowing that its a sign of a car built for extreme driving.

3) Buy a Lexus LS.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:07 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
I just went through this problem a few days ago with a replacement set of rear pads. I installed a set of EBC redstuff brake pads on the rear and boy did those things squeal like a pig every time I touched the brakes. It was so loud, I swear you could hear it a mile off! Come to find out, I needed the factory Aston Martin shim kit that has these claws that go around the brake pad to grip it (prevent vibration). Once I redid the job and installed these shims the noise was gone. If in fact you have these shims installed than you need the noise isolater kit that can be purchased through Aston Martin, part# 4G43-28-10789. Hope this helps.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:35 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
The EBC pads on the DB are HORRIBLE...no doubt. I did pads and rotors last year and learned a ton. I had the red stuff in there for a couple of weeks. Frieght trains were quieter than my Aston. I kept the factory rear parking brake pads stock I got from the dealer along with factory rotors from the dealer also, BUT on the the main pads I swapped over from the EBC to the Porterfield R4S (after only a few weeks of using the EBC I couldn't take the noise anymore, I have a race car I know what racing brake pads sound like and the EBC were not normal) and anti squeal gel w provided shims...and voila, great braking, low dust, and quiet performance!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sunir
The EBC pads on the DB are HORRIBLE...no doubt. I did pads and rotors last year and learned a ton. I had the red stuff in there for a couple of weeks. Frieght trains were quieter than my Aston. I kept the factory rear parking brake pads stock I got from the dealer along with factory rotors from the dealer also, BUT on the the main pads I swapped over from the EBC to the Porterfield R4S (after only a few weeks of using the EBC I couldn't take the noise anymore, I have a race car I know what racing brake pads sound like and the EBC were not normal) and anti squeal gel w provided shims...and voila, great braking, low dust, and quiet performance!
I was able to make the EBC redstuff work just fine with my setup. Are you sure your mechanic had the correct shims and noise isolators installed?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:38 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ I dunno I think he used the supplied shims which for the Porterfields worked just fine. He used a brake squeal paste also and the setup has been great. I ddin't know the factory p/n when the job was done...

Old 04-27-2013, 02:10 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
One trick with brakes squeal on the Astons is NOT to use copper based anti squeal use the blue elastomer based stuff
A senior factory tech came to look at my car at the last service. We talked about brake squeal and he explained the copper compound washes away and hardens off, the blue stuff doesn't, it also damps the resonance of the pads on the discs better.

Worked on my last Vantage, not done it yet on the new one but it needs it