Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Squeaky Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
Squeaky Brakes

Ah, the age old question. WTF are my brakes making all that noise for!?!?

I tried some anti-noise grease between the brake pistons and the pads (it wasn't any recommended stuff, just a autozone special). It didn't seem to help. Any other thoughts on this issue?

2012 V8 Vantage S, with 5500 miles... they only start squeaking at under 10mph. That last little bit of the stop, when every one around has plenty of time to look at the jalopy your driving and ponder what kinda idiot doesn't fix the noise. It's infuriating!

I have also tried a few hard stops (kicking on anti-lock). Sometimes it will go away if I heat up the brakes (basically driving with my foot on the brake). It comes back when they cool down tho.

Any new ides?

Last edited by Fubar; 01-15-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 PM
timwhayden is infamous around these parts
What about aftermarket pads that usually dust less and squeal less? There are several available for base V8V tho unsure if the V8VS uses the same or different pads...

Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 PM
mikes300 is infamous around these parts
My stock pads never squeeked, theses porter fields I just put on squeak like hell!! And ya I hate it!!!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Ive got the porterfield r4s and they perform great on my DB and are quiet with only a very very small squeal when cold at the very end of coming to a stop, which goes away once the brakes get some heat in them or the cars been driven for a bit. Stocks pads are quiet and work well but the dust like crazy. I've found the porterfield r4s to be relatively dust free as well. The ebc red stuff was horrible. They squealed unbelievable Loud and were removed after a few hundred miles.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ Hmm. Porterfields are very quiet and dust-free pads. Who did the install? I wonder if something was done incorrectly. When I did my install, I transferred the anti-squeal shims from the stock pads.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Both mine have done this
My first one stopped for a while when I used the copper based paste, soon came back after that had dried/come off
Dealer sorted it under warranty with a blue polymer based compound
My S has also suffered the same problem that will be getting the "blue" treatment after the winter
I discussed this with one of the factory senior techs apparently the combination of rear handbrake and disc pad often sets up a harmonic at low speed or cornering, the copper does not damp the right frequency the polymer does, it also does not wash away.

Last edited by mikey k; 01-16-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
There is much previous disscussion on this if you use the search function. Bottom line, the stock pad are prone to squeal if you do not consistantly drive brake agressively. I could stop the noise by making an number of agressive/hard braking from 80 mph to 10 or so. After a while the noise would come back and I would have to do the routine again. I live in a very rural area and do not drive/brake aggresively enough to conistantly keep the noise away and desired less brake dust so I just installed portafield pads. I only have about 30 miles so I can not comment other than they seem to have less "bite" than the stock pads. After another day or two on the road (if it ever stops raining) I will make some more agressive stops and have more feedback

Old 01-16-2013, 08:54 AM
jmargolese is infamous around these partsjmargolese is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Fubar
Ah, the age old question. WTF are my brakes making all that noise for!?!?

I tried some anti-noise grease between the brake pistons and the pads (it wasn't any recommended stuff, just a autozone special). It didn't seem to help. Any other thoughts on this issue?

2012 V8 Vantage S, with 5500 miles... they only start squeaking at under 10mph. That last little bit of the stop, when every one around has plenty of time to look at the jalopy your driving and ponder what kinda idiot doesn't fix the noise. It's infuriating!

I have also tried a few hard stops (kicking on anti-lock). Sometimes it will go away if I heat up the brakes (basically driving with my foot on the brake). It comes back when they cool down tho.

Any new ides?
I had a similiar issue and replaced the oem with porterfield and it went away. I am in the area if you want to meet and have a look. I have them on front and rears.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Brake squeal is caused by ultra high-speed vibration of the pad in the caliper. As you apply the brakes cold, there is enough tolerance between the pad and caliper bracket to allow for the vibration. That's also why the noise goes away when it gets hot, the pads have expanded in the caliper and the clearance is now minimal. This is common on a lot of high performance sports cars designed for track duty. Then engineers made the pad tolerance loose so that when you are at the track it expands and works well. The trade off is squeal with cold brakes.

Solutions:

1) You can try the goo you put on the pad backing plate. That helps sometimes.

2) Remove the pad and take it over to the grinder and put a chamfered edge on the leading and trailing part of the pad. This works better than the goo most the time. About 30 degrees is good. Fast and easy to do.

3) Try some other pads, buy ones that have a chamfered edge when you do.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
^^^^ Hmm. Porterfields are very quiet and dust-free pads. Who did the install? I wonder if something was done incorrectly. When I did my install, I transferred the anti-squeal shims from the stock pads.
I did it myself, I know they are done right, cant really install pads wrong, that I know of. I did not use the stock backing pads, I did however use a liberal amount of anti squeal, they were fin e for 100 miles or so, then the squeaking started. i just removed them and cleaned everything, rounded off all the sharp edges and such, no more squeaking, for now, except on one wheel, I'm waiting on new rotors before i give on on those pads, I will say they is FAR les dusting that with the stock pads, they are terrible!!

Old 01-16-2013, 03:40 PM
oops

Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Just don't to a track day with dustless pads, they can't take the heat and will literally use themselves up inside of two sessions. If you never do track days, then no worries.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mikes300
I did it myself, I know they are done right, cant really install pads wrong, that I know of. I did not use the stock backing pads, I did however use a liberal amount of anti squeal, they were fin e for 100 miles or so, then the squeaking started. i just removed them and cleaned everything, rounded off all the sharp edges and such, no more squeaking, for now, except on one wheel, I'm waiting on new rotors before i give on on those pads, I will say they is FAR les dusting that with the stock pads, they are terrible!!
I installed the Porterfields on my Vantage and used the "old" factory backing pads without any extra "goo". I've not experienced the noise issues that you apparently are having-maybe that's the solution?
I'd also like to let you know that I have "track time" on the pads and find them quite suitable, and yes they dust a lot less than the standard pads!

EuroSunday is in Walnut Creek this Sunday-stop by and we can compare experiences?

Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for all of the info. I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: I can't find a listing for a 2012 Vantage S on the Porterfield site. Does anybody know of an alternate model that has matching brakes? I was thinking the S model has different brakes.

Last edited by Fubar; 01-16-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Is the rear brake pads and EBRAKE pads.

Replace with Carbotech 1521 ceramic pads and you will have zero noise ... That simple

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Brakes