Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What do think of the new Stingray?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Like it based on the pics I've seen. Will reserve final judgement until I see it in person. There's always been a reason its 1/2 the price of euro sportscars..... Plasticy cheap materials mainly on the inside from the GM parts bin?

Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by black penguin
..... It looks like a nice car that has been made over by the people at Toddlers and Tiara's.
Very good penguin, 10 points

Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
I think they did a great job. I like the rear design too (I feel like the only person I know who likes it). I am not a fan of the two tone interior, maybe it just needs some more stitching to bring it together. The instrument cluster is really awesome! Gimmicky... maybe but very different from anything else I've seen on the market. I wish they had spent some time revising the visual impact of the engine bay but I understand they had a budget to work with and I think they spent the money well.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:43 PM
fbiguy is infamous around these parts
I would say it looks a bit too Matchbox, if you follow me. I also am not thrilled with the Camaroish taillights. Which look like the new Malibu. They look best on the Malibu, out of the three.

I don't care for the vents on the rear fenders either. I can't wrap my head around why they are there. There isn't an engine back there to cool. And it seems a bit gaudy if their intent is brake cooling. Reminds me of the fake vents people can buy at an auto parts store and sticky on their trucks and Civics. Having said that, I haven't browsed any articles that might explain their existence so maybe there is justification.

And if there were willing to be this....what's a nice word to use, 'showy' with the exterior on the base model, what on earth will they do to distinguish the Z06 or ZR1?

I loved my '06 and unless this new body grows on me, the Gen 6 Vettes are still the best looking.

My .02

Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer_X
KF: Do you really think you'll get one? I think it'd be lots of fun to hoon. For instance, I'd feel much more comfortable lighting up the tires in that than my Aston. On the other hand, I'm afraid that people would see me driving it. Like you said, it really screams white guy with white hair. My dad drives a Z06.
No, I can't imagine myself buying one. As much as I like the look of the new Vette, I prefer my cars to be unique. I can't stand the idea of seeing 2 or 3 at an intersection as I do now with all the Corvette variants (all usually driven by white-haired white dudes).

Funny story:

An ex-girlfriend of mine loved Vettes, she had owned a couple and was just dying to get the 50th anniversary edition when it first came out. I told her that it was an old man's car and she did not fit the demographic.

One day we went to Perkins and there in the parking lot was her dream car. As we sat there with her gawking at it, out comes this old couple. I mean really old. The woman was using one of those walkers with tennis ***** on the legs. They went right up to the car, he opened the passenger door for her and then got in and drove away. I couldn't stop laughing. She stared at me and said "Shut up! Don't say a word!" as I sat there giggling uncontrollably.

Serves her right. She was the only person I know crazy enough to go gaga at the sight of any Corvette on the road while riding in a Lotus Esprit.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
^^^ That's classic!

It's so true on the demographic. Makes you wonder what'll happen to the brand in about 20 years from now when many of these folks won't be around, or at least won't be driving.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I did some really rough photoshop to "FIX" the bits I dislike the most. The car is just too fussy, trying too hard. Thats why the grey car looks better, it clashes less with the black.

Real car on left, Photoshop on the right

On this image I got rid of the front wings on the splitter, the clack plastic hood scoop and the vents in the rear quaters.

I got rid of the Camaro lights and put some round lights on here. Again, very badly photoshopped, but you can see it immediately feels more like a Vette. I also got rid of the shiny exhausts.

In this last one I stripped out that pointless red band on the passenger side. It relates to nothing in the interior. Without it the instrument pod is the focus. It still reminds me of the R8.

I'd love to see someone else's thoughts on what would make it look much better.

Attached Images     
Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by black penguin
I saw the Car and Driver video and the car is both better looking and worse looking. The clay model shows that the overall shape has promise, but the overly cheap and fussy details let it down.

Worst bits:

- ugly fins on the front spoiler.
- clumsy fat mirrors.
- odd frit on side windows. Looks 1990's cheap.
- glossy black plastic trim on hood and rear lights
- incongruent two tone leather band on passenger interior. What does it align with? what is that weird rounded point? Why???Why????
- camaro lights??

They need a new head of design. It looks like a nice car that has been made over by the people at Toddlers and Tiara's.
+1 Could not have said it better. What a wasted opportunity.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Good job penguin, although you forgot to body-color the roof as well! Curious as to what it'd look like with silver wheels too. I'd actually leave the winglets on the front, but it seems as though I'm in the minority on that part.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:39 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
@Racer X, here you go, one with a red roof:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Bigger shot of the rear:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 PM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
The "Penguin Edition" C7 is looking pretty darned good

Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Yes, like it much more with a body-color roof.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:27 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
yeah, the roof and the vents are a huge improvement.

As for the round tail lights, I'm not with you. While the GM designer's version is double plus plastic-y, the round lights need some further work all around the back end before they'll work.

What about that lame grill area? The splitter wings didn't bug me, but that weird grill sure does.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by karlfranz
No, I can't imagine myself buying one. As much as I like the look of the new Vette, I prefer my cars to be unique. I can't stand the idea of seeing 2 or 3 at an intersection as I do now with all the Corvette variants (all usually driven by white-haired white dudes).

Funny story:

An ex-girlfriend of mine loved Vettes, ....
Well not an ex, but early in our dating, my current GF informed me that she thought corvettes the finest car of all. This is nearly a deal breaking statement, but she seemed otherwise reasonable, so I endured.

Then I took delivery of my V8V. One good look and a ride inside and she actually laughed at the old her who thought a 'vette was even worth a second glance.

And people wonder why I love Astons.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do think of the new Stingray?