Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What do think of the new Stingray?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by black penguin
It looks like a nice car that has been made over by the people at Toddlers and Tiara's.
I believe the internal project name for the car then might have been "Project Honey booboo" !!!!

I like your rendition of the car Penguin, much better than GM's version. I would eliminate the two tone interior and leave it simple with maybe body color deviated stitching or red seat piping, moderate, but a nice touch, not too much.

for the exterior, red roof, front winglets look fine, and I'd eliminate that silver slat along the front grille. The rear end you've created is spot on. Nicely done good sir!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:14 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
They could have made round lights work. Ferrari has no problem with them. My rendition was crude, but a proper design, with beautiful jewelled lights and a rear facia that was sculpted for them would look great.

I'm a creative director, so I can tell you first hand this change was fuelled by ego. Someone felt they could invent an idea that would trump decades of tradition. Foolish idea, cars need to know what parts of their history to keep scared and what parts to evolved.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Banned
Rotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to behold
this car looks menacing!!! I'd be scared to see it in my rearview....LOL....
it's very sculpted and defined......ready to lift off!
can't wait to see one in person

Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Good topic. I've been trying to decide if I like it or not. I think it's less boring than the outgoing design, although it looks a bit tarted up with all of the off-color vents. Almost looks a bit aftermarket, in the bad sense of the term. I feel like this is the same problem that the new Vanq has -- adding glossy bits here and there to try to make the car look more sporty.
Exactly. Overall, I think it has a nice shape, but it's covered in all those too-trendy creases, slashes, lines and blingy stuff. It makes what would probably be a great design very cluttered and fussy -- unnecessarily. It's why the new DB9 (and, for that matter, the old DB9 and the V8/V12 Vantage) is better looking than the new Vanquish.

I'm interested in seeing the C7, and it will offer huge performance for the money. Some have suggested it looks less fussy in the flesh, so here's hoping.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 PM
DonBond is just really niceDonBond is just really niceDonBond is just really niceDonBond is just really nice
Thumbs down

butt *** ugly.........no soul..........a face only a mother could love............great technology.............NO STYLE.............to the bank

Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 PM
orlanderlv is infamous around these parts
The StingRay concept is far superior to this final corvette design. Too bad they didn't stick with it more.

Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2013, 06:00 PM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
My 6 year old son looked at the pics of this car at yelled "Autobots, Roll Out!"

Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I'm saving final judgment till I see one in the flesh.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Basically today's Z06 performance in the base car, all the latest techno, under full warranty... Good luck beating it as a 'sports car' for $55k. Add the Z51 option and you are good to go. I think we need to keep price in mind on this 'value' deal.

I really like the new SRT Viper but 2X the money. ( I daily drive an SRT8 Jeep now .. selling my S2k.)

6mo from now there will be a supercharger to bolt on for $8k and you will put everything else shy of $150k in the weeds.
Don't wait to spend extra on the ZR-1. Which will probably take 3yrs to arrive... Be happy sooner.

I like the photoshop efforts, but if you strip out the design changes ... it starts looking like a C6. Which if people like.. there will be plenty to buy .. cheap.

Personal note.. I like the styling. Finally something that looks interesting.. not like an ill fitting blob of parts on the C5, and better sharpness than the C6. I like the GTR styling cues... Tho I don't want to buy a GTR due to the lousy interior. If the C7 interior is on par with a CTS-V.. They may just have something.

IMO the CTS-V coupe is a 'tad' too understated.. for me... perhaps the C7 is overstated? I am 41 (silver hair).. so which demographic should I buy into?? haha.

I KNOW this will sound like blasphemy... I am shopping for a tungsten silver '07 V8V to sit beside the SRT8.. BUT want to see the C7 in the flesh...

Pretty sure GMs goal was to bring in more buyers... and I'll be stopping by the showroom... which I haven't done in 10+yrs... I didn't see this coming.

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 01-24-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
I like it! Unfortunately, the "base" vett is like 25k higher than the current one which I think is going to out price them from their major market (middle class). The C6 vette is a very capable chassis and can run with many super cars. The new one seems to have taken the dash from their mid 90's vette's. I kinda like that they did that but put a modern twist on it. I just hope the interior quality is much improved. Overall impressed..

Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Banned
Rotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to behold
wow that's oddly SLR-ish eh??

Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Some things I learned to address some of the comments that have been made here:
  • The intakes on the rear fenders are fully functional and not just something for boy-racer looks. They draw 8 cubic meters of air per minute. The driver side feeds the transmission cooler. The passenger one feeds a differential cooler.
  • The little "fangs" in the lower part of the nose were needed for pedestrian safety regulations so they were also used to channel air and create downforce.
  • The front opening draws in more than 60 cubic meters of air per minute for radiator and brake cooling.
  • The hood vent channels ⅓ of the air from the front opening over the car to further increase downforce.
  • The side vent behind the front wheels is to exhaust engine heat.
  • Rear brake cooling ducts are actually under the car in front of the wheels.
  • The rear taillights were radically redesigned because in in clinics with current owners, many complained that the rear hadn't changed in more than 25 years.
  • The standard roof is carbon fiber and is removable. It can be stowed in the hatch.
  • The manual 7 speed is an H-pattern shifter. If you get this option, you still get the shift paddles behind the steering wheel, but they are used to turn on and off the rev-matching feature (first seen on the 370Z). It still uses that darn "skip-shift" thing, though.
  • The steering wheel is only 14.1 inches in diameter and is the smallest wheel Chevrolet has ever put on a car.
  • The main gauge cluster is actually an 8-inch display (roughly the size of an iPad mini).
  • There is additional storage space behind the infotainment touchscreen display in the center stack.
  • The two-tone band on the dash that some of you didn't like (I like it) is optional.
  • There are sport seat and competition seat options both can be heated and cooled.
  • There is an option for a high-res multi-color heads-up display on the windscreen.
  • The carbon look option is real carbon fiber.
  • All models now use an aluminum frame, not just the high performance models.
  • The standard tire is a run-flat variant of the excellent Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
  • Brembo brakes are standard and can do 60-0 in only 94ft which is 11ft less than before.
  • The 450HP/450lb-ft 6.2-liter engine is 99.9 percent new. The only parts used from the previous engine are the starter and retainer bolts and a piston pin. The engine features cylinder deactivation, direct injection and continuously-variable valve timing.
  • Cylinder deactivation will provide up to 20% increase in fuel economy.

Overall, sounds pretty good to me—especially when you consider bang for the buck.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by karlfranz
[*] The intakes on the rear fenders are fully functional and not just something for boy-racer looks. They draw 8 cubic meters of air per minute. The driver side feeds the transmission cooler. The passenger one feeds a differential cooler.
[*] Rear brake cooling ducts are actually under the car in front of the wheels.
Thanks for posting Karl, very interesting - especially the two points above. Was there any images of the ducting or actual airflow to prove these two claims?
I am a little skeptical of the first one - I had assumed that the rear fender vents were non- functional, as it looked to me that these two vents on top of the rear fenders may be in an area where it would be difficult to easily and/or effectively duct air from.

FF

Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Yes, all the vents are functional. There's a couple of pictures floating around showing the airflow, but I don't think they are detailed enough to "prove" anything.

One correction: I believe the seats are "vented", not cooled. Minor detail, but we might as well be accurate.

Dollar for dollar this car is tough to beat. Of course, Astons have never really tried to compete "dollar for dollar" with anything. Different animal.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Yes, all the vents are functional.
Yep. From the January 13, 2013 Chevrolet press release:

"Models with the automatic transmission or Z51 Performance Package feature a functional vent on driver’s left side directing air over a heat exchanger for the transmission fluid and a similar arrangement on the passenger side that directs air over a heat exchanger for the electronic limited slip differential. Airflow through the differential and transmission heat exchangers exit through the aircraft-inspired taillamp vents and lower-rear fascia air outlets"

http://kerbeck.com/kerbeck/kerbeck.n...e_Stingray.pdf

From my photobucket album, this is all that was in the Chevy press release package.

Attached Images   

Last edited by 62Jeff; 01-26-2013 at 01:12 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do think of the new Stingray?