Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What do think of the new Stingray?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:28 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Yep. From the January 13, 2013 Chevrolet press release:

"Models with the automatic transmission or Z51 Performance Package feature a functional vent on driver’s left side directing air over a heat exchanger for the transmission fluid and a similar arrangement on the passenger side that directs air over a heat exchanger for the electronic limited slip differential........this is all that was in the Chevy press release package.

Thanks, Now I've read it in the Chevy press release I suppose it must be true. LOL

The rest of the aero claims seem pretty sensible to me me but my money is, at best, on these rear fender top vents being some Styling BS that the engineers had to try and find a limited use for....

Last edited by FatFrank; 01-26-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:34 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FatFrank
Thanks, Now I've read it in the Chevy press release I suppose it must be true. LOL..
Lol, for now it is the best intel we have until they start rolling off the assembly line.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
FWIW, the Ferrari 550 Maranello has a vent in its left rear fender above the wheel -- basically the same place as the vent on the C7. It also was for cooling the rear gearbox, IIRC.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:59 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Yes, all the vents are functional. There's a couple of pictures floating around showing the airflow, but I don't think they are detailed enough to "prove" anything.

One correction: I believe the seats are "vented", not cooled. Minor detail, but we might as well be accurate.

Dollar for dollar this car is tough to beat. Of course, Astons have never really tried to compete "dollar for dollar" with anything. Different animal.
According to Motor Trend, in cars with the Z51 package both vents functional. Base cars don't have a differential cooler so the passenger vent is fake but kept for symmetry I suppose.

Also according to Motor Trend the seats are indeed heated AND cooled.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Banned
Rotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to behold
saw this today, wow!

Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Nice painting.
Sure hope the wheels never need to move upward since, ya know, there's no wheel well there...

That said, those wheels do look good on that car and I still have some trouble really loving the overall styling with all of those fiddly bits scattered around an otherwise nice body.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rotes
Now that version looks good. Front end is much better.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:26 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
The painting version looks amazing! I would consider buying one if it looked like that...great looks, relaible engine, great performance...I'm liking the package...now what about the achilies heel the dreaded GM interior I think this new car will make strides I'd really like to see and drive one in the flesh before asking for wiring instructions that's for sure, not something I'd pre-order or buy sight unseen.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Banned
Rotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by IbisRider
Nice painting.
Sure hope the wheels never need to move upward since, ya know, there's no wheel well there...

That said, those wheels do look good on that car and I still have some trouble really loving the overall styling with all of those fiddly bits scattered around an otherwise nice body.
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Now that version looks good. Front end is much better.
the LED's are very similar to the cls63 too, I agree, if they looked like this I'd buy one

Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Guys, the only thing that looks different from the real stingray ( besides the huge wheels) is the new nose. If all of you claim you would buy the car if that one element changed, maybe you should look into just getting a custom body kit for the nose. Considering how many kit makers are out there, it couldn't be that hard.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 AM
mightyanxious is infamous around these parts
Not crazy about all that angular styling that GM seems to be married to. However, it's heard not to take notice of the tech aspect of this car, especially for the price. I was thinking of trading my 997 Carrera S Cab for the new 991. The cost will be substantial. I think I will wait for the Stingray soft top with Z51. Always liked the look of the soft top Vettes. Probably cost close to half the price of a 991 with better performance. Like the dark blue. Wonder what color tops will be offered.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:18 AM
elmfd3s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Rotes
saw this today, wow!
That is a great rendering. It really changes the look of the front end.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:11 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Like you guys, some aspects I'm not crazy about but overall I like the car. I would buy one easily....but it would be either a black or dark grey-charcoal colored car. To cover up all the parts I don't like.
After that, i'd stick on some custom wheels to make it look different from others.

I'd hit it for sure.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
From early review and pics, its the first time I have considered owning a corvette, other than 60's classics. Don't care for the rear treatment, especially the tail lights but someone will come up with a round replacement kit, I bet! Like the side profile and the front. Interior seems to be much improved. I look forward to seeing in the flesh.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Here's a new video that I think you will really enjoy. This car is really starting to grow on me. If only we could get away from the stigma of the Corvette demographic...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do think of the new Stingray?