Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Recommended products for Piano Black interior finish?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 03:34 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I have to correct myself here....I was at Aston Martin of Washington this morning and the standard leathers I examined from their samples are Finished hides (also know as pigmented or painted leather, or corrected leather). I went through all of them on the sample rack and looked at each one. The upgraded leathers that are extra-cost optional are Semi-Aniline.

Then I went back to inspect the leather in my Vantage carefully and it is indeed a finished leather.

My apologies for posting inaccurate in the prior posts on this thread.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 PM
timwhayden is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the retraction Duane. You had me convinced that AM used to use semi-aniline and later at some point cheaped out and changed to finished/pigmented leather (as they have in my yet to be built V8V)!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:06 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I've seen many of the DB with - Upgraded/premium leather - on the build sheets, as an Option with addtional cost, mine had this I believe under a bespoke package with coarse deviated stitching in Arctic blue to match the carpets.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Breezman is infamous around these partsBreezman is infamous around these parts
So... what should we use for the piano finish? mine is scratched up.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 PM
wem
wem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Breezman
So... what should we use for the piano finish? mine is scratched up.
I have had good luck with Meguiar's PlasX. Use a high quality microfiber cloth. Try to rub perpendicular to the scratches. Fyi, it also works well for scratches and haze to the clear bra.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Breezman is infamous around these partsBreezman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wem
I have had good luck with Meguiar's PlasX. Use a high quality microfiber cloth. Try to rub perpendicular to the scratches. Fyi, it also works well for scratches and haze to the clear bra.
Thank you

Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
When working fine finishes its all about how aggressive the abrasive has to be to remove the scratches and then polish the finish. If the scratches are deeper, then you may have to get microfine sandpaper out and wet sand it. Most people are loathe to get sandpaper on a finish like that but if you start out with the Ultra Fine grits (2000) and then work down to 1000 (if needed) you will find they are very gentle. Once you get the scratches out, you can then use rubbing compound to begin the buffing process. Like most things, practice on something else, first!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Polishing out the fine "compounding" scratches from piano finish requires several stages of polishing using a da and different pads and polishes. That's the "proper" way that assures elimination of the imperfection. So, using hand polishes, will only "hide" the deeper imperfection while removing the finer ones.

As a DIY project if you don't have a da polisher, simply use a paint cleanser or light swirl remover and follow up with a glaze to hide everything. As long as you know it's hidden, and not removed, and that's the expectation, it's not a big deal.

Remember to use a high quality mf towel and a spray wax when wiping the piano finish to not further induce light scratches and swirling.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Duane,

I have an '09 V8V. For its finished leather, are the Leather Master products you recommend the Soft Cleaner and the Protection Cream? Also, what is your opinion of Connolly Hide Food?

Spinecho, after looking at the Leather Masters website, these are apparently water-based products. I can assume you wouldn't recommend Hide Food...

Old 02-27-2013, 01:27 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Yes, Leather Master is water based. Not to answer for Duane but his recommendation was Leather Magic not Leather Master.

I use LTT (also water based) on the car and on my furniture and have been very pleased (no affiliation).

I would not recommend Hide Food on modern coated leathers.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Oops. Started typing into Google, "Leather Master" popped up, clicked on it, never noticed...

Anyway, thanks or pointing that out.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Viperlaw is infamous around these parts
I just bought Hide Food conditioner and cleaner as that was what has been used in Astons for 40 years but I havent used it yet. I have an 09 Vantage with silver stitching. Firstly, it seems that some people on the forum think Hide Food is a no no... why is this? Also, if it is ok to use, should I keep it away from the stitching? Thanks guys.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Is Connolly Leather even in business any more? The original Hide Food was solvent based and as such is inappropriate for modern leathers such as the ones in your V8V. Anyone know if they changed their formula?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Perhaps glasses lens cleaner would work well. It's very gentle, use with microfiber cloth.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:13 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
In modern leather using a simple non toxic cleaner followed by a leather condtioner/protectant is fine. Modern leather does not need hide food, it has a layer of treatment impervious to surface elements unlike the leathers of the vintage autos which do require feeding. I know Aston has an optional "premium" leather package I am not fully sure what are the differences exactly between it and the standard, I would like to know as my DB came with it, as part of bespoked options checklist. I am guessing a leather condtioner and protectant would be appropriate for caring for the premium hide?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Recommended products for Piano Black interior finish?