Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New to forums, buying an AM V8V and have a couple questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 03:22 AM
oo7
oo7 is infamous around these partsoo7 is infamous around these parts
agree. In talking to many knowledgable am people before my purchase, I discovered it is the younger inexperienced drivers that did not
'grow up driving stick" that wear the cars. Having logged over 400k miles in various Porsche and vintage e-types and alfas, I have never experienced a clutch failure, including two porsche with over 225k on the clock. A road racing friend/restorer/phd mechanical engineering, explained how the clutches fail different than you might think,btw. regardless, The clutch in a manual car will last forever if used correctly, don't be afraid to buy one!!! Perhaps, some should swallow their pride and get a driving lesson, not to improve their skill driving, but rather operating. Also, Auto trans are never used in racing, I wonder why? And BTW have you tried to do an oil change in a DB9?, it requires a little work, not so with V8V, and if you drive a lot...

Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I think I have this thread figured out.

Vantage: Rolex Stainless Steel Datejust
DB9: Rolex 2-Tone Gold and Stainless Submariner

So the guy with the Submariner is telling the dude with the Datejust he's 'entry level' and he won't get no respect with that watch, that the Sub is the cat's ***.

The thing is, the 2-tone Sub, nice as it is - still isn't a gold Daytona Chrono.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
I'm so confused.

When talking about reliability of clutches I can only hope that we are talking about the SportShift systems. To suggest that any Vantage is a poor choice because one of the two transmission options is weak is silly.

I looked at a DB9 and researched the potential cost of ownership of that v my Vantage. Not even close. That's not to say the DB9 is unreliable, but it is no more reliable than a Vantage unless and ONLY unless you are talking about a Vantage with a Sport Shift transmission.

Entry level? Sure, and the 458 is the entry level F. Who gives a crap? I mean, compared to the DBS, any DB9 is the entry level GT. The only "entry level" Aston Martin worth mocking is...are we even allowed to talk about that car on here?

Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by IbisRider
The only "entry level" Aston Martin worth mocking is...are we even allowed to talk about that car on here?
Absolutely forbidden!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 AM
mokushiroku is infamous around these parts
Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM
oo7
Originally Posted by IbisRider
I'm so confused.

When talking about reliability of clutches I can only hope that we are talking about the SportShift systems. To suggest that any Vantage is a poor choice because one of the two transmission options is weak is silly.

I looked at a DB9 and researched the potential cost of ownership of that v my Vantage. Not even close. That's not to say the DB9 is unreliable, but it is no more reliable than a Vantage unless and ONLY unless you are talking about a Vantage with a Sport Shift transmission.

Entry level? Sure, and the 458 is the entry level F. Who gives a crap? I mean, compared to the DBS, any DB9 is the entry level GT. The only "entry level" Aston Martin worth mocking is...are we even allowed to talk about that car on here?
Ok. I Believe we are all intelligent individuals here or we wouldn't be buying Astons. What percentage of the population know's the difference? So you'll pay that much extra to make a point with so few people? It not like a corvette and a chevette. The manual cars are fine, sport shift has to have clutch kiss point set weekly if not daily, real easy to do, but AC must be off, problematic because people keep climate control in auto mode.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 AM
oo7
Originally Posted by mokushiroku
You don’t think I looked at both? All day long the Vantage was cheaper then the DB9 so most will choose it as the choice because they have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever. I have done all the work on my own cars and I am only talking about the sport shift, but you can include the manual as well. Your telling me a clutch in a Vantage is going to last past 50,000 miles is highly unlikely. The ZF autos do not fail unless it is due to user negligence. So how is it going to be more for cost of ownership? I do the oil changes myself, do you? I just did the front and rear brakes on the DB9 with EBC redcarbon pads for $100.00 for the front and rear. While the majority of AM owners are taking it to the dealership because their mechanical working knowledge on the car is little to none. My exhaust guy and I are building LT headers for the DB9 which yield 75 hp. I would love to see the V8 Vantage get these kinds of gains. The DB9 is seriously detuned intentionally to not undersell the DBS. It’s basically the same car. Is the 458 Italia the same as the California? I think not.

I have a 97 M3 lightweight I use for a track car on its original clutch at 138,000 miles. So it’s obviously not driver error. It’s funny it’s close to 70 here in Vegas today and I am going down to the BMW testing grounds on the Las Vegas strip to do some racing. They have Vantage that they use as a track car down there. The engine had a failure already, and has gone through countless clutches. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME CALL ASTON MARTIN LAS VEGAS. There is no denying the Vantage is a sweet car, but as a daily driver with the clutch issues. It’s not like I am pulling this out of my A$$. This forum is just littered with clutch issues on the Vantage. There is more than couple dozen that just pop up. Read each one and tell me what you think. I am not going to sit here all day and argue whether the Vantage is an entry level Aston. I think the perception of the Vantage will never be on the same playing field as a DB9. This unfortunately is the perception in the auto world the Vantage receives. I think this is a ridiculous review, but it kind of is how the car perceived. If you think a 458 Italia will be perceived in the same context as a Vantage you are sorely mistaken. It’s on another stratosphere, just drove one last week at the speedway. Amazing car, thought about picking one up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi0yXeuqBjU

I am building LT custom headers for the DB9 as we speak. The DB9 and DBS is basically the same car, so saying once again a DB9 is an entry level GT is idiotic. If anything the DB9 is the ultimate GT car. There is no denying the universal acceptance of the DB9. I don’t think the guys at Top Gear would put the DB9 in the “Fridge” category if that was the case.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f11f3c7

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/174799-2007-vantage-clutch-replacement.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/279547-clutch-problem.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/270488-shifting-problem-2010-amv8-sportshift.html

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=627633

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1125843
What do you think the failure rate is percentage-wise?, as so many more v8v cars were produced. BTW I find it dubious that one that can afford such cars will "do their own mechanical work", particulars in light of one's awareness of the importance of certified service documentation, furthermore, if T my facility I had a car prone to such expensive failures it would have to be doing something else real well for me to keep it around

Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Last edited by mokushiroku; 02-22-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Last edited by mokushiroku; 02-22-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 AM

Last edited by mokushiroku; 02-22-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM
oo7
Yes! I agree with you on something! Have owned el primeros (zenith) watches for more years than I wish to disclose, no other at 36000 VPH! No better movements in the world save a few grades of Lamania.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 AM

Last edited by mokushiroku; 02-22-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
oo7
I agree completely, knowledge and understanding are integral to the experience, and augments driving skill

Old 02-22-2013, 11:04 AM

Last edited by mokushiroku; 02-22-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
!

Originally Posted by mokushiroku
Most doctors, ... Desperately....

...if wanted to be an unoriginal bast%$d...money doesn't buy intelligence.
Enough with the childish insults and rants. Damn!

I don't choose to spend my time changing my oil anymore. I can, I might even enjoy it when I retire, but for now, the cost of paying someone else is a very real cost of ownership.

It's the use of the term "entry level" that does not sit well. No car that sells for a six figure sum can be called "entry level". Did Aston Martin offer the car in order to appeal to a lower price point? Probably. Does that make it a "common" car? I certainly don't think so.

I think it's cool that you still love an AM after some rather negative experiences. You prefer the DB9, cool! I look forward to having one next to my Vantage one day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to forums, buying an AM V8V and have a couple questions...