Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New to forums, buying an AM V8V and have a couple questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 AM
b_gust99 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mokushiroku
As for your idiotic comment you hardly warrant a response. Using an example of one of the most unoriginal watches known to man. Rolex’s are about as cliché as it gets. I find it funny you would use such stupid analogy coming from a Dr. driving a Goldwing. Could you be any more of a foregone conclusion? Any dumb*^% can take their first bonus check and buy a Rolex. Most do, every other idiot has an Iphone and a Date just, Sub, Daytona because they follow empty trends and can’t think for themselves. Rolex watches lack so much in detail so the Chinese make perfect replicas and sell them to image fad following idiots. I am an ex-Naval aviator so I wear a Breitling Emergency. A watch that actual serves a purpose in saving your life. If I go on the town for a show in Vegas I will sport a rose gold Piaget or Zenith. Some of the bestmovements for watches originate from Zenith. Ironically that same Zenith movement was used in the Daytona before they ended suing Rolex, now they have a cheap inferior movement. The BO movement in the Breitling is far superior to anything Rolex will ever make, but now I am off topic.

While I am sure as I am posting this your working your 100 hour swing shifts at the local hospital. I am sitting on my couch getting ready to go out for a great day in the Vegas sun. I am sorry you have some mis-guided entitlement because you made some wrong life decisions by living on the wrong part of the country and choosing to waste your youth in med school. You know how many bitter old men in their 50’s I see sporting their two tone Rolex watches, it’s unoriginal and it makes me laugh. I am 32 retired and will be down at the Las Vegas speedway today if you would like to join me???? I feel very fortunate to achieve success at a young age and appreciate every day of my life. I hate condescending, fat, old doctors that hide behind a computer screen and try to dispel the misery in their own lives. Enjoy the snow!
No need to turn into a ****** and insult people. Good for you for being independently wealthy by age 32. Congrats. But there is nothing wrong with working your *** off as a professional or business owner and into your 50's or 60's. Some might argue it is a more respectable position to work than quit the workforce at 32 and play for the next 50 years.

If you passively aggressively insult a car on its own forum, you better have some thick skin when the owners of said car defend it.

Glad you are so enamored with your db9, as you should be. Many of us love our Vantage's too. No reason to be a hater.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:50 AM
mokushiroku is infamous around these parts

Last edited by mokushiroku; 02-22-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM

Last edited by mokushiroku; 02-22-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:58 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
It appears the general consensus is that if you get 20k out of a clutch your lucky. This is coming from AM's first lead mechanic ever to do a clutch on a Vantage. HE IS THE FIRST ONE TO DO A VANTAGE CLUTCH! His name is John, he is a AM mechanic from San Diego and he shares my same concerns. The great thing is he only charges $3000.00 for a clutch. So let me know when you guys need clutches, because he is the man you want to see. Don't take it to the dealership and spend $6000.00.
What consensus? From one tech who "did is the first to do a Vantage clutch"? (is that not a contradiction?)
I gave you a poll/thread of owners that shows all four Vantage clutch options. Most got well over 20k miles even the ones that had failures.
Please take note of the facts and post those instead of an opinion from one tech

Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=mokushiroku;3776409] I find it funny you would use such stupid analogy coming from a Dr. driving a Goldwing. Could you be any more of a foregone conclusion? .

1. I am not a doctor. My name is Duane Richard Collie. drcollie. I don't hide behind silly forum names.

2. I don't own a Goldwing. That's a BMW K1600. It's very fast.

3. Don't challenge me to a race at a track unless you want to get passed. I've been on the track longer than you've had your driver's license and still instruct at advanced driving schools.

You make a lot of assumptions. I on the other hand, do not.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM

Old 02-22-2013, 01:49 PM

Old 02-22-2013, 01:59 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Dear MokuwhatevertheF,
You've really become a tool.

No one is impressed with your watch.
No one cares what your car says about you.
No one really cares much about what you do.

And your implication that Las Vegas is some sort of dream destination is just sad. But I'm glad that someone thinks it's a great place to live. Keeps the places I live that much nicer.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
It's not one tech, it is the countless of threads I posted below the video. Did you read them? Whether you get 20k or 30k mileage it doesn't change the fact that the Vantage suffers from premature clutch failure due to poor design. Very few have made past 40k on an original clutch. Do I have to draw it crayon for you? There are countless more threads in addition to this. Little more fact then opinion don't you think?

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f11f3c7

(Extract for above link)
Next, I spoke to a technician in the UK who had seen a number of cars with mileage well in excess of 20,000 miles. He agreed that there is no design flaw with a V8 Vantage clutch. He has seen some cars do 60,000 miles with no problems. In his opinion, it all boils down to whether the clutch has been abused by owners who either ride the clutch pedal or who try to do F1 style starts from a stand still. Because the V8 Vantage is a high performance car, owners tend to punish their clutches more than those in more mundane transportation.

The UK technician felt that clutches with 20 - 30,000 miles on them may be prone to failure in the not too distant future if they have had a rough life. He also said the same is true for Ferrari, Lamborghini, and other exotics. The difference is that the clutch on Italian exotics will cost a lot more to replace than the clutch on an Aston Martin.
You really ought to read your own links properly
It is NOT a design fault
The poll I pointed you at concurs showing manuals suffer more than ASM's
BTW I have done over 30k miles in mine with no clutch issues
You have found a few comments from people who have a vested interest, there are over 4500 other owners out there
Move on

Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 PM

Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 PM

Last edited by mokushiroku; 02-22-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:37 PM
aaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd there's the ignore button

Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM

Last edited by mokushiroku; 02-22-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:44 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
[quote=mokushiroku;3776605]
Originally Posted by drcollie

4. Put your money where your mouth is old man. I am at the speedway right now, )
And yet you find time while at the track to respond all afternoon to this forum thread (note timestamps). Do you check forum posts during your intermediate lap times? I'd like to see your iPad setup in your 'track car'.

hint: Playing Forza Motorsport on your Xbox in your basement really isn't like going to the track. It's kind of close, but not really the same thing.

Carry on. I suppose you will be flying your jet airplane later on today....

Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Just so you know, I'm younger than you are and am pretty embarrassed by your behavior. You being well off is great but it doesn't make you better or give you any new rights, or in fact allow you to talk down and insult people.

I had the option to never work again at 19. Instead, I wanted to do something more with all the years ahead of me and gave a very large proportion of my earnings to those that needed it far more than I did.

Now I'm in medical school and looking forward to giving back, not insulting those that chose to do something that benefits the world and its people.

You're not going to make many friends here unless you grow up and realize you are no better than anyone else. As is so often said -

Money can't and apparently doesn't buy you class.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to forums, buying an AM V8V and have a couple questions...