Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Carbon Fiber Side Mirror Covers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
^^^Looks good. Did you remove the OEM shells and mail them to the company for CF to be applied to them?

Old 06-14-2013, 01:34 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jarod
Yes, I did get them mounted. Easy fit, though they need to be clued using silicon or 3M tape. Removing the old ones was the most difficult part.
Did you use glue or 3M tape? I use 3M tape. Over all, tape works OK but not solid.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:31 PM
macksamus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jarod
Yes, I did get them mounted. Easy fit, though they need to be clued using silicon or 3M tape. Removing the old ones was the most difficult part.

And yes, they are type II.
thanks for sharing Jarod (and glad we're back on topic for this thread).

I had assumed the factory shells were held in place by clips. Is that not correct? I figured that shells you ordered would be the same as the factory part.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:27 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by macksamus
thanks for sharing Jarod (and glad we're back on topic for this thread).

I had assumed the factory shells were held in place by clips. Is that not correct? I figured that shells you ordered would be the same as the factory part.
The factory shells have integrally molded tabs that engage slots and indentations in the base. These tabs are small and uniquely shaped, making them almost impossible to duplicate as part of a CF shell. I originally bought a set, but when I realized that they had to be reattached in a, to me, Mickey Mouse fashion, I returned then and instead purchased a set of CF covered OEM shells, which therefore retain the factory tabs.

Let's face it, these aren't weight saving items no matter how they are made; 100% CF or CF covered. The choice was obvious to me....

Old 07-02-2013, 01:21 AM
macksamus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
The factory shells have integrally molded tabs that engage slots and indentations in the base. These tabs are small and uniquely shaped, making them almost impossible to duplicate as part of a CF shell. I originally bought a set, but when I realized that they had to be reattached in a, to me, Mickey Mouse fashion, I returned then and instead purchased a set of CF covered OEM shells, which therefore retain the factory tabs.

Let's face it, these aren't weight saving items no matter how they are made; 100% CF or CF covered. The choice was obvious to me....
For the price, I assumed that the mirror shells which Jarod purchased were simply the factory Volvo shells with a CF overlay and hence would have the integrally molded tabs so that there is no need for silicon or tape to hold them in place.

XJRS - if I remember correctly, you went with the shells from MA Carbon? I know that MA Carbon simply orders the correct Volvo part and then has the CF overlay applied (which is what I want as well for the reasons you cited). But for an overlay, the MA Carbon product would be surprisingly more than twice as expensive as the pure CF shells that Jarod ordered....doesn't make much sense (at least to me).

Old 07-02-2013, 07:58 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Pricing is pricing, right?

A difficult to mount real CF part that is 'cheap' is no bargain for me. MA Carbon is the way I went. Maybe you could have Robson quote you a set, since they do overlays.