Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Anyone create a dedicated Vantage track car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:47 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
All of your ideas are lame.

Why not a 360 Challenge Stradale?

I mean, if you're trying to stay relatively low weight, and not looking for a brand new car, just something to beat on - why not go bigger?

Seriously - I can't see it happening. I think it would be more of headache trying to maintain an Aston along with the consumables that most here may not even be aware of, because we don't track Astons to see what parts need to be replaced at what intervals (from normal track use). Whereas the BMW, Boss, Lotus (I saw your earlier issue regarding the Exige), Porsche, and other 'normal' track cars have extensive maintenance plans and may net less headaches from unforeseen issues.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Love this thread ... engaging thoughts as always BP and has generated a nice mix of sensible and 'damn the torpedos' responses. Just wanted to say @GR8Ride, that may be the best first post I've ever read. Rep pts 4 u!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 PM
bluesun is infamous around these parts
http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/r...ovingly-lapped

Ford also makes an R version of the mustang. Comes with cage and race tank, no interior but with a data logger dash. I think it list at 95 but I have seen them brand new I think for about 75. Probably get a used one with spares for less. If your going to put a cage in it, I wouldn't pay the Boss LS premium.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Sunir, I have not made up my mind at all

I love shooting sacred cows, its how I make a living. I love asking thecquestionsvthat sound silly. A Vette, Porsche, M3 are the easy answers (for good reason). But what other options exist? What track cars might deliver glory as well as speed? It's a good question to ak even if its folly.

I would love to give the Aston a go, but seeing as I'm driving one all summer, I think I have eaten enough Aston 'stupid pills'. Driving my V12 as little as I do is my contribution to the Aston cause. I really do love these cars and its a shame so many live their lives so hemmed in.

For my track cars ,I look for something I can drive there. Mostly due to the convenience of it all. I have three kids, three cars and a company with near 100 employees, plus I have to make time for mountain biking and guitar.

That means no forward cage etc. but pads, brakes, suspension a d the like are all up for grabs. To be honest. Love the idea of a car I can have projects on. The Aston and the R8 are difficult for 'projects'

If I didn't already have the V12, the Audi as a full on machine would be a great idea (for the soul, not the wallet). As it is, i already have a healthy play bucket without adding to it.

The Boss 302 is a great and interesting cheap choice.
The Cayman is the right size and fast on small tracks. It has a lot going for it, but I know I would eventually drop a 4.0L in it and be up near R8 territory. Damn Porsche for stunting that car.

BMW is a great choice, but they do nothing for me.

If I want to trailer a car, wow, so many choices.

I just wanted tomseemif anyone had travelled the path more interesting. Aston always makes it the more expensive choice, track or road.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

Last edited by black penguin; 03-19-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
With the Range Rover as a track hauler I would just get something completely track focused. A Spec Miata would be a good starting point. At least build something that has some value in the long run that you can race wheel to wheel with after you get more time in the seat

Offbeat stuff.

A built radical would be 1/3 your budget. heck you could get a used 111R at half your budget with a full spares package. Both would be significantly better for the track and with significantly lower consumables while giving you a car you can grow into and learn.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
You are limited in that you want to drive to the track in the same car. Not that there is anything wrong with that - I chose an Exige because I had the same stipulation for my track day car, and it is as light a road-going car that will excel on a circuit as you can find. Weight is the enemy! But I recognize it will never be a proper, dedicated track car.

IMO the advice given here is sound. The V8V is too heavy, too expensive and will be a pain to get worked on. Go with a Mustang or a Vette. Too bad that Sunir's suggestion of a BMW doesn't float your boat, but to each their own.

Or stick with the R8 if you are not doing too many track days and are not noticing a lot of wear and tear so far. As you say, it is a fabulously balanced car and quite quick.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Food for thought - if you decide to track the Aston, I'll speculate that you'll end up with trailer car, regardless of additional purchases.

Cayman.

(And I echo, 100%, your perspective regarding the stunting)

Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 AM
kba
kba is infamous around these parts
What about buying an already track-prepped Aston and shipping it over (UK/Europe)? You'd have to look into import laws, but I think since it'd be a non-street legal car it shouldn't be to much of an issue?

Ex:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...ar-alec/289403

Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
If you're going to buy a track car, tube frame is the ONLY way to go in my opinion. That way when you ball it up in the armco (and you will) its much-much-much easier to repair, cut off the bent section and weld up a new one. Tracking a unibody car means big money to straighten and repair it - and I can't even imagine the cost of the bonded aluminum panels on an Aston.

This would be what I would get myself. Its a dedicated racer with manageable operating costs, class racing and decent resale value. Plus they are way more fun to drive that a converted street car and will peel your eyeballs back to your 'ead.

http://www.springmountainmotorsports.../used-radicals

Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by kba
What about buying an already track-prepped Aston and shipping it over (UK/Europe)? You'd have to look into import laws, but I think since it'd be a non-street legal car it shouldn't be to much of an issue?

Ex:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...ar-alec/289403
That price is amazing - considering what you get.

BP - your car awaits (unless you can't drive it on US streets).

Old 03-20-2013, 02:20 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jaspergtr

So long as he doesn't head too far south, shouldn't be an issue.

Canadian streets on the other hand...

Old 03-20-2013, 02:29 PM
GR8Ride is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by IbisRider

It's not likely to be street legal, but as a dedicated track / race car, that shouldn't be an issue. And importing into Canada as a dedicated race car is much easier than importing a potentially street legal vehicle.

That being said, it would necessitate the use of his Range Rover as tow vehicle, along with a trailer (open, flat bed race car trailers can be had for under $2K).

Patrick

Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Well, if you are going to import a vehicle from England, perhaps this would be a more interesting choice for a dedicated track Aston
But, on the down side, it's slightly more expensive-over 500k

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Aston_Martin_DBR1-2.3a.pdf (523.4 KB, 84 views)
Old 03-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by IbisRider

I forgot that he was in Canada...

... And that people live there.

/American_narcissism.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:41 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
That price is amazing - considering what you get.

I doubt that is street legal in ANY country
Great car & great deal though
Tempting if I had time to do some track days

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Anyone create a dedicated Vantage track car?