Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Anyone create a dedicated Vantage track car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Been thinking about buying a track car myself. Originally had my sites set pretty high (e.g., Scuderia), but I'm now thinking I may go with an el-cheapo option that is less expensive to maintain/fix and that I would worry less about on the track (and therefore have more fun with). Specifically, was considering something along the lines of a Mazda MX-5 Cup car. Anyone have any opinions on these? Anyone know how I might obtain or build one? I'm guessing there are forums out there that touch on this, but I thought I'd get some input here first if anyone has some to share. Thanks!
This is a great idea. I think you can source these cars (with records and logbook) thru SCCA or affiliated sites or thru the sites that support the MX5 Cup series.

This will teach you how to become a much better driver on a circuit, so when you do get that Scud you can enjoy that car on track at closer to it's limits with greater confidence than had you not started with something like an MX5 Cup.

You're on the right path buddy

Old 05-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Thanks Sunir. The more I've looked into it, the more the idea seems like a good one. The latest gen cars (2009-today) can be had for around $15k. The older ones are even cheaper, but look a bit too much like hairdressers' cars to me.

Also found several manufacturers that offer aftermarket products for track/race prep. For example, Flyin' Miata offers a package that includes a supercharger, uprated suspension, clutch, cats, exhaust, and roll bar all for around $8k. Maybe I'm too accustomed to Aston prices, but that seems cheap!

Old 05-04-2013, 04:23 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
There's a guy hers that put vette motor in his. Very tidy package. Beast for sure.

I found the Cayman to be very affordable too. Perhaps Astons and zr8 V10's are just stupid expensive.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
The costs are all relative. While a Cayman is less expensive than the R8 or Aston, purchase of and maintenance for a Cayman will be a lot more than for the MX5. I'm looking for the most fun for the least cost, at least for now.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:17 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I hear the spec Miata cars are great.

A lot of guys love the S2000 cars. Apparently that motors stock internals are good for more than 500hp. I've heard people boasting that 700hp is possible.

Last edited by black penguin; 05-06-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:04 PM
bluesun is infamous around these parts
I think it's the most fun to have competition. When your in the fastest car, or the slowest, it's not much fun. With a popular car you can see how you compare and have some competition.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 PM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by black penguin
I hear the spec Miata cars are great.

A lot of guys love the S2000 cars. Apparently that motors stock internals are good for more than 500hp. I've heard people boasting that 700hp is possible.
I went the s2000 route. Mine is gutted, fully caged, seats and 6 point belts, moderate suspension and power mods. Just starting to work on the aero.

S2000 has just enough power to keep you interested, while being basically a momentum car. It will also teach you about oversteer

RacerX, I know of a NASA national championship s2000 available for $17.5k, should you want to go that route

Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 AM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
Racer x,

Formulated a detailed reply to your pm, but I don't have enough posts to reply.
If you're comfortable pm'ing an email address I can get back to you

Sorry

Old 05-07-2013, 09:41 AM
sk2613 is infamous around these parts
Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 AM
^^^ looks great, but the price is way above Blue Book.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ at what track are you quoting lap times for? Vir full course?

Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Well driven zo6 say a T1 car should be right around the 2 min mark. Heck the front runners in prepared class touring and GTS 3 are running 2:04 plus or minus, I've been racing and instructing at vir for 10 or so years, the track has gotten faster and competition times have fallen. It's a fantastic track, love being there... Smelling the brake pads coming into turn 1 as the sun comes up over the horizon, fresh dew on the grass and the roar of racing engines!!!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Old 05-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Interesting, although the author hasn't a clue about the "torque-converter automatic" transmission...

Old 05-10-2013, 04:47 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Wow, what a good writeup. I was expecting the total opposite. It's funny how a person asks about racing an Aston and out of nowhere a GT4 for sale in the USA and an article a week later! I feel it's fate!