Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Paint chip repair recommendation needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 01:36 PM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Paint chip repair recommendation needed

I just got a 1/4" fingernail-shaped chip on the hood of my Aston - grrrrrr. As I'd rather not have to repaint the entire hood for one chip, can anyone recommend someone in Florida who offers expert paint chip repair? Preferably in southwest Florida, but Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Miami is OK too if necessary.

TIA,

Brumma

P.S. - I'm double posting this in the Detailing forum as well for maximum exposure.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:17 PM
oo7
oo7 is infamous around these partsoo7 is infamous around these parts
I just got a paint chip repair kit. I will try it out and let you know

http://www.drcolorchip.com

They show some impressive results. I drive a lot and I am happy with a three to five footer and don't want concours, been there enough. There is another method a recon shop friend of mine uses on exotic cars that is really amazing, but you must buy an expensive "starter kit"

Old 04-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
I had a truly excellent detailer take care of a nasty chip on my car. I'm not in FL, but the technique worked beautifully. He built up the paint in the chip until it was just slightly above the surrounding paint. He came back a week later (to let it dry) and gently wet-sanded it down flush with the surrounding surface. It is very nearly invisible -- you have to look very closely to see any evidence of it at all.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by oo7
I just got a paint chip repair kit. I will try it out and let you know

http://www.drcolorchip.com

They show some impressive results. I drive a lot and I am happy with a three to five footer and don't want concours, been there enough. There is another method a recon shop friend of mine uses on exotic cars that is really amazing, but you must buy an expensive "starter kit"
I've tried both the Dr. Colorchip as well as Langka. The problem with these is that the metallic particles dry near the top of the paint and their process then removes that top layer of paint. The result is that the filled in paint looks rather matte by comparison.

Originally Posted by Speedraser
I had a truly excellent detailer take care of a nasty chip on my car. I'm not in FL, but the technique worked beautifully. He built up the paint in the chip until it was just slightly above the surrounding paint. He came back a week later (to let it dry) and gently wet-sanded it down flush with the surrounding surface. It is very nearly invisible -- you have to look very closely to see any evidence of it at all.
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I just need to find someone around here.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:49 PM
oo7
oo7 is infamous around these partsoo7 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info, I am going to experiment with layering, etc. Will report back with a solution if one is discovered

Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by oo7
Thanks for the info, I am going to experiment with layering, etc. Will report back with a solution if one is discovered
Yeah, I didn't try layering, which may work a lot better. Looks like you may have a meteorite silver car as well, right? Definitely keep me updated on your progress.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:23 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I've seen the dr colorchiPs advertised several times yet I have not tried it, makes me nervous. I bought a langa kit yet have not used it.... Still slightly skeptic and nervous to use either of these on any of my cars, was going to use it on my 911 turbo but then replaced that w the GT2 before I had a chance. I would think a reputable body shop could do a proffesional chip repair without respraying a panel by using the overfill then sand and blend clear only in a very small isolated area. I don't see why a good shop would not be able to do this. Now for many chips, such as a rock peperred front bonnet, that may need a primer, sand, blend paint, and polish w buff.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Turns out that there's more damage than previously thought. Looks like the hood will need to be re-painted.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:53 PM
KJCLKBS is infamous around these parts
brumma.....I PM'd you.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:37 PM
MMK110464 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by brumma
I just got a 1/4" fingernail-shaped chip on the hood of my Aston - grrrrrr. As I'd rather not have to repaint the entire hood for one chip, can anyone recommend someone in Florida who offers expert paint chip repair? Preferably in southwest Florida, but Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Miami is OK too if necessary.

TIA,

Brumma

P.S. - I'm double posting this in the Detailing forum as well for maximum exposure.
Hi Brumma:

I am also looking for a professional paint chip repair service in South Florida. Did you find any?

Regards;

Moises

Old 06-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Nah, sorry. There ended up being more damage than initially thought (including a small dent under the badge), so I ended up having the entire hood repainted.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:31 PM
acabrera is infamous around these parts
Not that it matters now but I want to mention how big of a fan I am of putting clear bras on these cars. I was behind a dump truck on the highway the other day. As I tried to quickly move past him on the left (while "drafting" behind another car), a rock fell from the truck and somehow found its way to my hood and then my windshield. The rock chipped my windshield and I had to have it filled in but the clear bra saved my hood paint. You can see the gash in the clear bra but that's as far as it got. That was a close one.

Old 04-19-2023, 06:56 AM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
I’ve used dr color chip for multiple cars with great success, just ordered some for the 2020 vantage I’m picking up Monday with bad rear wheel arches chips as they all get. It will make any chip or scratch massively better, but it’s not for the perfectionist who has a garage queen preference vs an actual driver.

I even used it to fix up when someone hit my wifes cayenne gts in the parking lot and drove off. It’s not perfect if you look super close but it passes her test and the car has 100k miles now so I’m not interested in paying big $ or an insurance claim to make it perfect. Before and after:

Old 04-19-2023, 08:36 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
@brumma I would call a couple of your local exotic franchise dealers and ask who they use.

Old 04-20-2023, 08:49 AM
Marmot is infamous around these parts
I had three slightly smaller sized door dings like that, A.M. Orlando was able to bring a VERY skilled contractor out and he did all three for, I think 200 bucks? Don Byrd can set it up for you. You can't even tell there was ever any damage on mine now. Apparently the way one was chipped the metal flake had to laid properly to camouflage the fill. Interesting demonstration of that for sure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Paint chip repair recommendation needed