Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Diff Fluid & Pollen Filters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 AM
RicoDB9 is infamous around these parts
Diff Fluid & Pollen Filters

I'm a newbie so instead of starting ANOTHER post on diff fluids I thought I tried to PM Irish but it wouldn't let me.

I have been reading everything I can for my car (an 07 DB9 which will soon be in Montreal with me) and I fond the site very interesting and full of great info.

I’ve been looking to change the diff fluid (no chatter but just to be ahead of the curve) and I've been looking high and low for Shell S6 AXME 75w-90 (Formerly Spirax ASX). I even called Shell Canada and they said I can only get a 20L pail from the UK.

So I called Decarie Motors in Montreal and they said they don't have it in stock but can order it however it comes a 24L case at a time at $40/L (WTF?)

Next... I was in the upstate NY the other day to buy 0W40 Mobil1 Oil ($25 for 5L at Walmart - score) and looked there as well. No joy. I did find a Mobil1 synthetic gear oil 75W90 with an additive for $10/qt. Is this an acceptable alternative?

Also I have the FULL 600+ page service manual. I searched through the entire manual and I can’t find out where the freakin' Pollen Filters are on this thing and I've looked high and low. Any pointers on that?

I did search for a Pollen Filter thread before posting this as I was sure somebody would have asked the question but came up empty there too.

Thanks,
Richard

Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
God, parts never gets things right..

I told Ari you can put any Synthetic 75W90 and add the Kendall additive..the Shell is hard to find and not many diff fluid changes are done on DB's, so very few dealers will stock it..good luck if you find unless special ordered for you..aka 20L supply

Go with the Mobil/Castrol synthetic and get 1 bottle of Kendall additive for the LSD clutch discs in the diff, or even any over the counter synthetic 75W90, the additive is for any regular synthetic gear oil..additive can be sourced from Decarie ..Hehe, wonder how I know, might want to look at my location ..

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Irish... Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I saw that... In fact I tried to PM you but as a newbie I cant.

Ari did try to help me out... he said he would dig into another solution only a couple days ago... I just thought I'd try here because you guys had been talking about it.

Ive never changed diff fluid in my life so I was a little surprised to read this in the forum but Im for sure going to do it now so I know that ALL the fluids are good to go. I like to stay ahead of this stuff... a habit I picked up from flying.

Any news on those mysterious and elusive pollen filters... I have new ones... I just cant see where to put them.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
The pass glove box needs to come out..you will then have access to the hvac blower box(plastic white box)..there will be a cover you can remove by a clip on each side..swap out the filters snd fit everything back together

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
irish I read your posts with enthusiasm, was hoping to find out where the pollen filters are in the vantage v8? as rico says he looked in the manual I too have a workshop manual but cant find them, please help

Old 04-14-2013, 08:54 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Mobil's 75w90 gear ("LS 75w90") oil has an additive pack for limited slip diffs. Do you still need to add the Kendall additive?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Basic Sponsor
If it has an additive already, then Kendall is not required at all..the Kendall additive just converts a non LSD gear oil to a LSD approved gear oil

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by captain Greg
irish I read your posts with enthusiasm, was hoping to find out where the pollen filters are in the vantage v8? as rico says he looked in the manual I too have a workshop manual but cant find them, please help
V8V's DB9/S, Rapide...pollen filters are all behind the pass glove box,

-leather trimming with release button is held on by spring clips(pull to remove but be careful).
-there are phillips screws surrounding the glove box that were hidden under the trim you just removed, remove all phillips screws.
-there are 3 screws under the glove box holding the hinge, you need to leave the center screw in place(do not touch), the outside screws need to be removed (total 2), depending on year they will be either a phillips or a T25.
-do not detach the glove box lid strap cord, you will not get it back on, place box a side with rope still attached and be careful or leather.
-white box holding pollen filters is not visible, the top section of the box had a removable door, push clips on sides of door to remove, remove pollen filters and then reverse all steps.
-if you have an early model, you can also kill 2 birds with 1 stone and stop/avoid a rattle from your TPMS module, just make sure the 2 side screws holding the module are snug..

..Done deal

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by irish07
V8V's DB9/S, Rapide...pollen filters are all behind the pass glove box,

-leather trimming with release button is held on by spring clips(pull to remove but be careful).
-there are phillips screws surrounding the glove box that were hidden under the trim you just removed, remove all phillips screws.
-there are 3 screws under the glove box holding the hinge, you need to leave the center screw in place(do not touch), the outside screws need to be removed (total 2), depending on year they will be either a phillips or a T25.
-do not detach the glove box lid strap cord, you will not get it back on, place box a side with rope still attached and be careful or leather.
-white box holding pollen filters is not visible, the top section of the box had a removable door, push clips on sides of door to remove, remove pollen filters and then reverse all steps.
-if you have an early model, you can also kill 2 birds with 1 stone and stop/avoid a rattle from your TPMS module, just make sure the 2 side screws holding the module are snug..

..Done deal
Irish you da man! Thanks! By chance do you know what kind of power steering fluid is required for a 05' DB9? I'm shocked the manual does not have any of this info..

Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
It is in the back of the owners manual, section Spec's, around section 12 for DB's and section 11 for V8's, under Fluid's..there was the old type and newer type..if the vehicle has the newer type swapped in, there would be either a sticker on the cap or a sticker in the owners manual. New type was used to stop a squeak from the lower pinion bushing in the rack.

V8 Vantage up to C13358, DBS up to E01351 and
DB9 up to A12418, has older fluid

new fluid: Pentosin CHF 11S
old fluid: Texaco Cold Climate

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-17-2013, 05:54 PM
do not detach the glove box lid strap cord, you will not get it back on, place box a side with rope still attached and be careful or leather.
TOO LATE.... (Insert expletive here) I did this as soon as Irish posted it and now Im fighting with the ^&*#)$&^*(@ thing to get it back on. My DB9 is in now getting a clear bra on it up to the mirrors... will get it back tomorrow.

I still cant quite see how to "unclip" the box. Is is the 2 sideways U shaped clips?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:34 PM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Try this sticky. There are some pictures on it that may help.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...panel-out.html

Old 04-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by AMFixer
Try this sticky. There are some pictures on it that may help.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...panel-out.html
Sorry... I should have more precise on last post... No prob getting to the "white box" behind the glovebox... I can't quit see how to get the white box apart to get to the pollen filters

Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
Look at the sticky..3rd pic AMfixer posted..there is the white box..your not removing the white box but rather removing the little plate to slide out the filters..the red arrow marks the spot on the pic, on the white box..red arrow is the plate to remove..each side has a tab, push tabs inward and slide back plate to remove..tabs come with the plate, don't force to hard, it's only plastic

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com