Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Constant engine fan on? Thermostat issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:40 AM
dmose is infamous around these parts
Constant engine fan on? Thermostat issue?

Wondering if anyone has experienced this or if this is normal.

07 V8V with 18kM, seems the engine fan (rad fan?) is almost always on ..its pretty loud. Is this normal? Sounds like a jet engine sometimes lol.

Also, noticed it takes a while for the car to reach operating temperature (although now its summer and it hits optimizal faster than a few months ago) ..but I read the thermostats on these models can go bad often...would these be related?

Old 07-20-2013, 12:39 PM
oo7
oo7 is infamous around these partsoo7 is infamous around these parts
Your thermostat my be bad. It is a common problem. (Gasket breaks away and keeps thermostat from closing completely) Can be a DIY job. Indie garage can do. Has mine done by reputable indie garage, I think pat and labor around $200. My fan runs almost continually, but not super loud unless being called to cool more

Old 07-20-2013, 06:12 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
You might want to review this old thread...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...hermostat.html

Typically, my electric cooling fans only operate when I shut down the car, and then they only run for a minute or two.

Your situation might be a combination of problems...a faulty thermostat and a defective temperature sensor for the fans.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by DonL
You might want to review this old thread...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...hermostat.html

Typically, my electric cooling fans only operate when I shut down the car, and then they only run for a minute or two.

Your situation might be a combination of problems...a faulty thermostat and a defective temperature sensor for the fans.
Great thanks so the fan that I'm hearing... is it typical to be on that often?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I've seen the fan module be faulty causing the fan to be on high speed at all times due to a missing signal feed from the PCM, in thia case the whole fan assembly gets replaced for the module is not sold solo..I've had to change a few out on DB9's and V8V's..this usually stores a fault code but due to the fact of this not affecting emissions, the check engine light will not turn on.

I would get the car scanned for fault codes first..the thermostat will also trigger a fault for not achieving the correct operating temp in a set run time, when the stat is on its way out you will not trigger a fault but can visually see the error when datalogging the PCM signals while driving...or just removing it and inspect if you don't have a datalogger.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by irish07
I've seen the fan module be faulty causing the fan to be on high speed at all times due to a missing signal feed from the PCM, in thia case the whole fan assembly gets replaced for the module is not sold solo..I've had to change a few out on DB9's and V8V's..this usually stores a fault code but due to the fact of this not affecting emissions, the check engine light will not turn on.

I would get the car scanned for fault codes first..the thermostat will also trigger a fault for not achieving the correct operating temp in a set run time, when the stat is on its way out you will not trigger a fault but can visually see the error when datalogging the PCM signals while driving...or just removing it and inspect if you don't have a datalogger.
Awesome thanks for the info. Now... what kind of data logger should I get? I see there are some modern wifi/bluelink > phone ones now?

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/page...33&p=72146.cfm

Old 07-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dmose
Awesome thanks for the info. Now... what kind of data logger should I get? I see there are some modern wifi/bluelink > phone ones now?

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/page...33&p=72146.cfm
Something like that will do the job..don't need to pay that much though..if you have a Android your in luck, the apps are cheap and a hacked copy comes with the dongle for android.. iPhone doesn't have a cheap prices app..I paid 5$ for my dongle and run the app Torque Pro, works great for when I don't have the AMDS dealer scanner on me..got mine off ebay, search ELM327 Vgate V1.5, don't be fooled and pay more than 50$, keep searching and you will find them for 5-10$ with ship incl ..I even use the same dongle to pair my laptop and run other scan tool softwares that support ELM 327

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by irish07
Something like that will do the job..don't need to pay that much though..if you have a Android your in luck, the apps are cheap and a hacked copy comes with the dongle for android.. iPhone doesn't have a cheap prices app..I paid 5$ for my dongle and run the app Torque Pro, works great for when I don't have the AMDS dealer scanner on me..got mine off ebay, search ELM327 Vgate V1.5, don't be fooled and pay more than 50$, keep searching and you will find them for 5-10$ with ship incl ..I even use the same dongle to pair my laptop and run other scan tool softwares that support ELM 327
Perfect yeah I came across ELM327 while searching..will go with that + torque.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:45 AM
So here is the result of my scan...exactly what you suspected a faulty fan?

Also, does leaving the OBD2 connector docked to the car eat the battery?

http://imgur.com/D9s3cFG

Old 08-05-2013, 06:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
No you can leave it docked, when the vehicle goes to sleep, CAN network powers down.

Most of the time it's the fan module, but does require a little in-depth diagnostic to verify its the module and not something like wiring, the fan assembly or a simple blown fuse. Fan module caqn be bought solo now, they run for 300-400$ and the complete fan assembly that comes with the module runs for 800-1000$..price varies in area's.

If you want to take a stab at diagnotics, here's few steps to try:
  1. Connect AMDS and confirm that a P0480 or P0483 code is logged. Record all other logged DTCs.
    If any other faults are logged, resolve these codes first.
    Return to this procedure only if P0480 or P0483 is logged again after clearing other codes.
  2. Switch off the ignition and access the cooling fan module.
    Disconnect connectors C2470 and C2471 at the engine cooling fan module.
    Carry out a KOEO test and measure the Voltage between the cooling fan module connector pins, as follows:
    • C2470-1 (VBATT) to battery ground
    • C2471-2 (VIGN) to battery ground
    The Voltage must be greater than 10.5 Volts.
    If the Voltage is above 10.5 Volts, go to step 3.
    If the supply Voltage is below 10.5 Volts, switch off the ignition. Remove fuses F3 and F35. Check the fuses for continuity and replace if necessary.
    Switch on the ignition and check for the correct 12V ignition supply at fuse F3 and F35 input terminals.
    If the Voltage is below 10.5V, troubleshoot the Battery + supply through underbonnet relay 1.
    If the Voltage is in the range 10.5 - 13.5V, troubleshoot and repair the open circuit in the 12V supply from fuse F8 to the VMV, connector, pin C2472-1.
    Replace fuses F3 and F35, reconnect the cooling fan module connectors C2470 and C2471. Switch on the ignition and clear the P0480/P0483 code. Repeat the KOER test to ensure that the issue is resolved.
    If the fault is still present, go to step 3.
  3. Reconnect the fan module. Set the datalogger to monitor the Variable Speed Fan Level signal. The signal should conform to the following specification:
    Cold Engine - 0 bits, fans off
    Engine warming up - 0-31 bits, fan speed increasing as the coolant temperature rises
    Engine hot - 31 bits, fans at full speed, maximum engine cooling
    If the fan drive signal and the fan speeds are in specification, the fault is not currently present. Clear the fault code and run a road test to confirm that the fan control system is serviceable.
    If the fan drive signal is out of specification, go to step 4.
  4. Switch on the ignition and check for +5 Volts between pins C2471-1 (FC-V) and chassis ground.
    If +5 Volts is available, go to step 5.
    If +5 Volts is not available, check the continuity of the control line from PCM pin C0636-14 (FC-V) to cooling fan connector C2471-1 (FC-V). Service the circuit as necessary. Clear the P0480/P0483 code and run a KOER test to ensure that the issue is resolved.
  5. Check continuity of the control signal ground from cooling fan module connector C2470-2 (GND) to ground at C0562-1.
    If a good ground is available, the wiring is serviceable.
    Replace the fan control module.
    Clear the P0480, P0483 code and run a KOER test until the engine is fully warmed up and the cooling fans are running. If the fans run correctly and no fan fault codes are logged, the issue is resolved.
  6. Check the continuity of the VSS signal screening from both the VSS and PCM terminations to chassis ground.
    Also check for the proximity of any sources of interference close to the sensor leads. Reroute any suspect sources of radio interference.
    If any circuit faults are identified, service as necessary.
    Clear the VSS codes and run a brief road test to ensure that the issue is resolved.

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com