Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Improving Vantage performance via smoother intake airflow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:31 PM
TurboDragon is infamous around these partsTurboDragon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that could restrict airflow a bit while the engine is in use. What about then? Are there filters below the trumpets?
The image of the intake tubes and trumpets are after the air filrer and MAF. It is a image of the S62 out of a E39 M5.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that could restrict airflow a bit while the engine is in use.

Originally Posted by TurboDragon
The image of the intake tubes and trumpets are after the air filrer and MAF. It is a image of the S62 out of a E39 M5.
Nope.

http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/archives/7892

Last edited by telum01; 08-01-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Okay, but I see lots of cars out there without anything covering the trumpets, typically race and muscle cars out of the '60s. Did they just run them without filters?

Old 08-01-2013, 01:49 PM
TurboDragon is infamous around these partsTurboDragon is infamous around these parts
telum01 you are correct, the image is off a S65 M3 V8. Looks the same as the ones for the M5 so =p.

MR technical.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Okay, but I see lots of cars out there without anything covering the trumpets, typically race and muscle cars out of the '60s. Did they just run them without filters?
I believe they just run them open without filters. Some put a metal mesh over them to keep larger things out. People do it with large turbos, too - just a velocity stack and no filter.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by telum01
I believe they just run them open without filters. Some put a metal mesh over them to keep larger things out. People do it with large turbos, too - just a velocity stack and no filter.
I guess that's what I figured. Just seems like it would harm the engine, even if it's just fine particulate matter entering.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:59 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Again, stop looking at the wrong side of the engine... Focus on the exhaust side.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:39 AM
I guess that's what I figured. Just seems like it would harm the engine, even if it's just fine particulate matter entering.
I think the practice started off with race cars whose engines had to be rebuilt regularly. Since they had to be rebuilt fairly often, the longevity issues created by a lack of filter were a non-issue.

Then the tuning and show scenes got hold of it and went with it - first with old school muscle cars with giant blowers sticking out of the hood, then the import tuner crowd with giant turbos or open ITBs (like the pic above).

Old 08-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by rmrmd1956
Intake wise, dual throttle bodies sound sexy but in my opinion it would be a programming nightmare. You would require independent torque based electronic throttle programming and Equizzer checks for each throttle body to be safe. It is not clear to me if such programming could be duplicated on the single ECU of the AMV8. You would likely have to run 2 ECUs or go to a completely aftermarket system.
Is this the case even with the throttle bodies leading into the same intake manifold? The idea I had was to modify the front of the factory intake manifold to use a dual-flap TB, not use two throttle bodies leading to two manifolds (like the V12 cars). Even the racing manifold using two TBs brings the air into a single manifold.

For example, take a look at this manifold. It uses two throttle bodies, but they both feed into the same manifold at the same place.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Get past the car it is for and this almost would work for a base idea.

Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Get past the car it is for and this almost would work for a base idea.

That's what I've been talking about doing all along The TB in the pic you posted is the same I linked to in this.

NOTE: I was saying "dual TB" when I meant to say "dual-flap TB" *woops*

Originally Posted by telum01

I think a more feasible solution, would be to adapt the OEM intake manifold. Cut the front of the manifold off at the taper, fabricate a new front that tapers to a dual TB setup (much less taper due to wider TB housing).

Here's my wicked sweet, highly-technical design.

By having a dual TB setup, airflow will be coming into the manifold on the sides of the wall, rather than pointing directly at it. I'm guessing this could improve throttle response quite a bit. Ford Racing makes a couple dual-TB setups that might be suitable. One is 2x63.5mm and the other is 2x65mm. Assuming the pivot bar is the same size, the 2x65mm TB should have a similar opening. However, the TB will open faster with a dual-plate setup than single, so more air will come through quicker at the same throttle position (all else being the same). That should mean better response - so long as the tune for the new setup takes it into account and the throttle doesn't become too touchy. (For reference: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-9926-cj65)

Old 08-02-2013, 10:20 AM
I know what you meant. =)

The AMV8 is a Ford based motor from what I was reading or am I wrong? That intake I posted is off a ford V8 so in theory could you use and adapt those parts to a a AMV8 with some minor modifying?

Just a thought.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:24 AM
I know what you meant. =)

The AMV8 is a Ford based motor from what I was reading or am I wrong? That intake I posted is off a ford V8 so in theory could you use and adapt those parts to a a AMV8 with some minor modifying?

Just a thought.
AM's V8 is Jaguar-based, but with lots of differences. If I remember correctly, the block started off as Jaguar's 4.2L but AM modified it extensively, so only a modified version of the original block remains and all internals and periphery parts are AM-specific.

The chances of the Ford intake manifold properly mating up to the AM block would be very slim, and modification of the runners would be extremely difficult.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:31 AM
AH got it, must have misread the motor report.

The area in orange is the par in theory you need to match up with. There has to be something close that matches up to that pattern.

Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2013, 10:37 AM
side question. Other than being HIGH priced, how does grouppe M factor in.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Improving Vantage performance via smoother intake airflow?