Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Repair or Replace Front Splitter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:15 PM
thebigdude is infamous around these parts
Repair or Replace Front Splitter

Hey Guys,

I just picked up a gorgeous 2010 quantum silver v8v. Unfortunately, the front carbon fiber splitter was damaged immediately: https://www.dropbox.com/s/azc2rmcs07kdnz9/splitter.jpg

Can anyone comment on whether this splitter is OEM or aftermarket?

Aside from some serious moral support, I'd love your thoughts on what to do next.

1. Repair: Is there any chance of repair? I wouldn't be opposed having it remolded and painting it black. Not sure if remolding is affordable.

2. Replacement: I've been scouring the web for a new or used replacement. It's been slim pickings. The vantage collection site has a few options. The dealer wasn't even sure about the prices and guessed $4k! I am fine with a black plastic splitter which may hold up better.

3. Removal: Should I just forget it since I will probably just crunch it again? Has anyone been able to successfully not damage their splitter that drives the car often. Or has anyone crunched theirs too many times and given up? I love the Vantage S styling, but hate worrying about each driveway and dip.

Thanks so much!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 PM
marioV8V is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear about the damage to your splitter. From the picture It's appears to be a v1 splitter from the vantage collection, so it'll definitely be a few thousand to replace. Remolding can be pretty expensive as well. If it's the only carbon part on your vantage I'd say replace it with the factory satin black lip, it's sits pretty flush to the bumpers edge so it'll be less likely to be damage. Hope this helps, Good luck!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:54 PM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
My 2012 V8 Vantage S came with an OEM carbon fiber pack that included a carbon front splitter. I'm not positive if that was an option on early models, but I'm sure you can just order that replacement part.

I would contact your local Aston dealer and have them order one for you. I can't guarantee it'll be cheap though, but these things happen.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:14 AM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
This is the factory carbon fiber splitter on the front of my old Vantage, not sure if it's the same one you have or not.

Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2013, 01:37 AM
JuanP is infamous around these parts
Not sure if this is the same part or not - https://www.astonmartinbits.com/mode...tage/parts/499. May be worth contacting AM Bits directly and see what their price is.

I ordered a new Crystal key from them and it was considerably less than any dealer and delivery was very fast.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:19 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Yes, definitely not an OEM part. It looks like the one from the Vantage collection. If I were you I would at least remove the broken piece for now as it detracts from the looks of your beautiful car. It looks good without it as well and there's only six screws that hold it in place. Congrats on your purchase.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:20 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
PS the standard option on the car is a little black sacrificial trim piece that costs only about $40 from the dealer.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:47 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Whats your deductible on your insurance? I'd make the claim and replace it with the original CF one. The front sensors are there for a reason... pay attention next time!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:58 AM
^^^^ not all cars come with the front sensors. It was an option.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:06 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Pull it off and repair it is what I would do...then install the cheap little ABS plastic one until such time as you 'learn' where the front of the nose is on the car. I had a heck of a time with my Vantage coming out of a short-nosed Porsche and was constantly banging the lip. Now I just pull it off and sand it down, then shoot it with some body-colored paint if I prang it. Takes 20 minutes to do it and I'm good as new. Here's my car today with the offending curb stop at work that I do battle with on a regular basis. No Carbon Splitters for me....

Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2013, 09:18 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by karlfranz
^^^^ not all cars come with the front sensors. It was an option.
Karl: The photo of his car shows the sensors. I only wish my car had them. I suffer from severe AM V8 front sensor envy.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:02 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AXARUNNER
Karl: The photo of his car shows the sensors. I only wish my car had them. I suffer from severe AM V8 front sensor envy.
Only $ 15.99!

Curb Feelers : Amazon.com : Automotive Curb Feelers : Amazon.com : Automotive

Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2013, 10:07 AM
thebigdude is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the support guys!

@MarioV8V - Agreed that it looks like the V1, but the side edges of mine are a bit different. It's not a big deal either way. Here's another shot of it pre-mishap: http://d.pr/i/znhl

I have a CF wing as well, but the the factory black lip may work nicely. Any suggestions on how to source other than directly from a dealer?

@blue_skies I do like the look of the factory splitter.

@JuanP Great find. I didn't know about AM Bits. I will check it out.

@karlfranz The dealer quoted me $200 for that little piece of black plastic! Does anyone know what the part number is? I plan to remove the current splitter and replace it with this part in the meantime.

I do have the sensors and pay attention to them. Somehow a chunk of concrete was sitting right in front of the splitter in a parking spot. When I went into reverse it rolled forward ever so slightly and "crunch!" The splitter already had stress marks from the previous owner and so it failed.

My deductible is $100, but not sure if I want to claim this and have it impact my premium. Also, not sure if they will pin the blame on me since there wasn't another party involved.

@drcollie I am with you. Coming from a Cayman S. Where did you get the ABS plastic lip?

Old 08-02-2013, 10:48 AM
This is what you need.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:07 AM
drcollie I am with you. Coming from a Cayman S. Where did you get the ABS plastic lip?

OEM Factory part on my 2007....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Repair or Replace Front Splitter