Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Considering changing the V12V HRE wheel setup...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Considering changing the V12V HRE wheel setup...

... to HRE's new P1 Monoblock series.

I swear, HRE is like Apple. Every year they release something newer that makes me want the latest and greatest. I'm seriously considering the P101 on the V12V.

Thoughts?

And is anyone in the market for a set of HRE P40SC's?

Attached Images   
Old 08-28-2013, 10:16 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Those new ones do look quite awesome but then so do yours. I call dibs on them if you decide to change.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
DoubleLow, did you lower your V12V? If so, what springs do you have?

Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Racer_X
DoubleLow, did you lower your V12V? If so, what springs do you have?
Yes, it's lowered on H&R springs for the V8V with custom rear spring perches to account for the weight difference and balance out the height.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:32 AM
CPB
CPB is infamous around these parts
The two are too similar to make a change. Car would look good with either.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DoubleLow7
Yes, it's lowered on H&R springs for the V8V with custom rear spring perches to account for the weight difference and balance out the height.
How do you like them? How have the changed the handling and ride? Also, how much did they lower the car?

Old 08-28-2013, 12:13 PM
How do you like them? How have the changed the handling and ride? Also, how much did they lower the car?
The overall stance and posture of the vehicle is perfect. However, the car is lowered overall about 1" or so. It doesn't sound like much, but it is a challenge when encountering speed bumps and driveway aprons. Luckily I have experience with "super-lowered" vehicles, but also have a custom skidplate as added protection. As for ride quality, it is the same as when on the V8VS. Slightly stiffer and a tad bouncy, but not a deal breaker for sure.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:17 PM
^^^Did you drive your V12V enough with the stock springs to be able to compare to that? I am considering lowering my car but I don't want to give up anything (except height) as compared to the stock V12V setup, which is quite good IMO from a handling and ride perspective.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:18 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DoubleLow7
Love my H&Rs too. You mention custom rear spring perches. Can you tell me more? Who made them and can I get a set? How did you size them (thickness?). The rear of my car could stand to be ~3/8"-1/2" higher.

FWIW, I'd stick the the 40's you've got. I do understand your comment about something new from HRE every year...

Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Tough call...the P40SC's are really hard to beat. You know I like 'em cause I had to have P40's on mine after seeing yours - and I'm not changing out!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:47 PM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
I think there is a substantial difference between the two styles you posted. I debated myself 5 spoke versus 7 spoke from ADV.1 until I now have finally decided on the "old" 5 spoke (the right photo).

I am currently trying to complete the spec and pricing so I can get these ordered from Alex at Tagmotorsports, the ADV.1 dealer.

Which design do you guys prefer? I am doing a graphite gray with a machined 'stainless steel" face.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	full-image.php.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	515.9 KB
ID:	275700  
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 AM
^^^Did you drive your V12V enough with the stock springs to be able to compare to that? I am considering lowering my car but I don't want to give up anything (except height) as compared to the stock V12V setup, which is quite good IMO from a handling and ride perspective.
I didn't aside a quick 15-min test drive beforehand. Once I traded in my V8VS for the V12V, I immediately did the springs and wheels. I can say for sure that the ride is slightly stiffer and is somewhat noticeable. If at all possible, I would recommend linking up with an owner with a lowered vehicle to see. As I said before, it's slightly noticeable but not significantly terrible to be a deal breaker.

Here's side profile picture for height reference:

Originally Posted by LRDog
You mention custom rear spring perches. Can you tell me more? Who made them and can I get a set? How did you size them (thickness?). The rear of my car could stand to be ~3/8"-1/2" higher.
The rear spring perches were made my a local San Diego shop, ACG Automotive (6SPD Sponsor). It was pretty much trial and error at first. They measured the circumference of the shock above the perch where the spring sits. Then they had CNC aluminum cut in 1/4" increments to adjust for height as necessary. In the end, I didn't ask specifically how much spacer was inserted (I wanna say 1/2" or maybe 3/4" or so, but don't hold me to it), inevitably it worked out.

I believe they kept the measurements and design template on file in the event another Aston owner needed the same, but not sure how applicable they would be among other AM models. If you want, I would give them a call ask for James and reference the V12 Vantage with spring spacers.

(858) 633-1017, http://www.acgautomotive.com/

Good luck.

Attached Images  

Last edited by DoubleLow7; 08-29-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks. Looks fantastic. Just need to be sure it performs/feels as good to me.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
I say change them and sell the current HREs to me lol.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speedsterr
I say change them and sell the current HREs to me lol.
Too late. I already called dibs in the first post.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering changing the V12V HRE wheel setup...