Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What's your daily driver ? (photo thread)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:15 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Worried about reliability? Man, that's a hoot considering you drive a 928 daily.
928s are like any other car, you take care of them and they are extremely reliable. I know b/c I've had 7 of them over the course of 20 years, where does your experience with the 928 come from OR, have you just "heard" they weren't reliable?

Old 09-13-2013, 07:27 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dan87951
I think in two years I might trade up to a Range Rover but their reliability record scares me...
Hey Dan,
I don't think that the modern Range Rovers are any more of a concern than any other real premium car (read not Japanese). My wife just sold her 2010 RRSSC that she owned from new. it had 40k+ miles on it and has been practically faultless since she got it. Great truck.

FF

Old 09-13-2013, 07:54 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Worried about reliability? Man, that's a hoot considering you drive a 928 daily.

Actually, my 928 has been one of the most reliable cars we have owned. I bought this car in 2007 with 70k and its turning almost 130k now. When I first bought it I went through the whole car updating stuff and getting the service up to date. Its been bullet proof so far!

Thanks Frank for the feedback on the RR. That's good to hear! Just out of curiosity why did you guys sell it?

Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
There is a group called the Minnesota 928 Dossies runs in Wisconsin With quite a few members and one time on one of the runs which are speed so high you would not believe it my 928 was in the shop so I joined them with my Aston vantage. And I could tell you at high speeds it's tough for Vantage to keep up with 20 year plus old 928s!!!

Old 09-13-2013, 09:45 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LRDog
928s are like any other car, you take care of them and they are extremely reliable. I know b/c I've had 7 of them over the course of 20 years, where does your experience with the 928 come from OR, have you just "heard" they weren't reliable?
I had an 87 S4 for several years. While the mechanicals were reliable, the electrics were very unreliable (and the interior plastics were crap).

Old 09-14-2013, 08:37 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
I had an 87 S4 for several years. While the mechanicals were reliable, the electrics were very unreliable (and the interior plastics were crap).
One of my 7 928s (my first, 89 S4) had some electrical issues b/c as I later found out, it had been in an accident. Buying the right one (right one of any car for that matter) is critical to your 928 ownership experience. I learned what to look for on the rest of my 928s (read all cars after that one...) and never had any issues with future 928s.

As for the plastics inside, not sure what you'd be referring to except maybe the console mounting points or if your car did a lot of time in the sun b/f you bought it as the inside rear quarter panel trim will warp.

I would absolutely not hesitate to buy another but, I would thoroughly check it out and only buy one with a verifiable history.

Back to your regularly scheduled programing....

Old 09-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
Sorry no photo, but its a 2008 Toyota Prius I share with zmumsy. When.I do get my next Porsche she said she doesnt even want a ride in it from the Videos ive shown here of the man who hired me to contract. He's in Lithuania with a 959, driving it like he stole it. I stil endeavor to get a 959 someday and race it in the Targa of Newfoundland.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by LRDog
One of my 7 928s...
Wow, 7 928s? I need to ask, why so many??? Was each next one better than the previous one?

Old 09-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
I had about 6 928s, other than the two last custom ones, they were daily drivers, even in Minnesota winters! All solid, comfortable and dependable, and cheap to buy usef.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
But why buy so many? If you find one you like, why sell it, only to get another???

Old 09-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Wow, 7 928s? I need to ask, why so many??? Was each next one better than the previous one?
Was really into the 928 ever since I saw my first one while in college in the early 80's. I am in the process of transferring ownership of the 928 Registry website I started and ran for over 10 years.

Bought first one in 1992:
  • 1989 928S4 - AT was a piece of crap!!!
  • 1989 928 S4 - 5 speed
  • 1989 928 GT - very special model with many unique options
  • 1995 928 GTS - 5 speed, one of 30 95 5-speeds, bought from original owner in 2000 with just 8k miles. Owned this car twice. Sold it in 2007 and bought it back in 2009. Sold it again in 2012, it's now in Germany. It had 13k miles when sold.
  • 1993 928 GTS - 5 speed ( I wanted 2 GTSs)
  • 1978 928 - VERY original car with just 1,400 miles. Truly a rescue. There were squirrels living in it.....
  • 1995 928 GTS - AT, Originally a $100k+ GTS. Had leather and wood EVERYWHERE. It was another rescue and is still owned by a guy in CT.

Here a pic of the last GTS I owned. The license plate is the same tag number as the car that fell in Lake Michigan in the movie Risky Business. It's the 95 model I owned twice:

Here's the 1978 928 that had only 1,400 miles. It's now in Germany too.

Attached Images    

Last edited by LRDog; 09-14-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:13 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
That black 928gts is sharp, LRD!

Expanding this thread a bit.....which car have you owned in the past that you wish you had never sold? Have one? Or two?

For me it would have been my '63 Corvette Split Window Coupe and my 1970 short wheelbase 911E. Both worth far more than I sold them for many years ago...

Old 09-14-2013, 06:42 PM
astongirl is infamous around these parts
DD is 2006 MB CLK 350... I enjoy the AM on the weekends....

Old 09-27-2013, 05:07 AM
TripleNet has a spectacular aura aboutTripleNet has a spectacular aura about
Now that I have finally purchased an AM ------ my DD is a 2008 LS460.... Great car, reliable, comfortable and just a pleasure to drive....

Attached Images  
Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Breezman is infamous around these partsBreezman is infamous around these parts
I drive the Vantage 80% of the time and the 997 20%