Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AMG Powered Aston Martins Only Three To Four Years Away

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ On turbos you deal with lag and much more muted exhaust note. But they're not really all that bad. One extra item that needs servicing I suppose.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
^^^And turbo lag is unacceptable (unless you're lucky enough to be driving an F40). A whisper-quiet exhaust note ain't great either.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:15 PM
timwhayden is infamous around these parts
In general I agree with everything said about turbos, but my '02 Lotus Esprit twin turbo V8 had one of the best stock exhaust notes I have ever heard and was plenty loud also. So it can be done although I still don't know how they did it...

Old 09-14-2013, 08:15 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
I've had the pleasure of owning and modding several vehicles with turbos that had excellent exhaust sounds: modded VR6 Corrado; 1st gen RS6; the latest X5 4.4L. If the manufacturer or tuner takes the time to pay attention to the sound, turbos should not be an issue.

On the other hand, throttle response is an issue. Even on very good (lag free) setups, there is still a subtle dampening of throttle response - witness the latest M5. I will take the throttle response on my XFR over the new M5 any day, thank you. And that's with a slushbox, too...

I don't think turbos suit AM as a marque. Superchargers, definitely, but not snails.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:50 AM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
I had two previous AMG SLK's a 32 and a 55. The 32 was supercharged and lost it's power. I was told AMG does not warranty power and would not stand behind the warranty. The Mercedes service manager did however attempt to fix the problem that was fairly common to the supercharged 6 cyl AMG's, but never solved it. I think eventually it was traced to a faulty intercooler item, but I traded the car in, as it was too frustrating. I eventually bought a 2006 used SLK 55 which seemed bullet-proof but was lethargic because throttle was by wire from what I understood, and was artificially solved by adding a Sprint-booster. Had I kept the 55 instead of buying the Aston I would have modified the engine. So with my experience with AMG, I have mixed feelings. If they could improve reliability, economy, response and power while keeping costs down without destroying the sound and ability to wind out the engine at a high RPM it would probably be a good thing.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Banned
R_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really nice
AMG and reference to Mercedes would be a far better association than ford econoboxes like the Focus and Taurus mocking the Aston front end IMO.

Look at the E63 wagon... 4700 pounds and 0-60 on 3.5 seconds in a wagon? There is a lot more than just power getting that job done and AMG technology will only help AM. Its also a lot more than just the power or statistical evidence involved when you buy a car like AM. If not then for far less money a plastic GTR or ZO6/ZR1 would have been the choice. Its the feel and experience.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:00 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
OMG!! Seriously some ppl make it sound like Aston has a V8 and V12 that they made and designed from scratched....Aston has designed NOTHING from scratch when it comes to powertrain!! LoL...The V8 comes from the BASE design of a Jag 4.2L..and the V12 comes from the BASE design of a V6 Ford SHO..Cosworth took and designed it into the V12 back in the late '90s, Aston has just been milking off this design for over 2 decades now..time for a change

The AMG motors going into an Aston in the years to come will not be a direct fit into a Benz car like some of the haters make it sound.....Aston will take the AMG engine designs and make it there own just like they did with the Jag 4.2L back in 2005...I'm sure if this stuff about the Benz deal was not even broadcasted...nobody would even know and be rising such concerns about exhaust notes and turbo lag..these same ppl would be complimenting about "its about time Aston stepped up there game in power!!" or "about time Aston adapted to current technology"

How long do you think they should be dragging on motors that are decades old..I mean V12 JUST got VVT..WTF?? About time don't you think, can't say they didn't have the technology...they had it on V8, but had to a halo car One77 to raise the cash for funding to engineer VVT on a V12??....there broke, and working on the inside I'm glad they paired up with Benz..means my job still has years to come.don't get me wrong, I love Astons past and how far they came with barely nothing, Amazing for a company!!...but I'm now looking at how great they will IMPROVE on there company..there stubborn Brits, do you really think the AMG powered Aston will be poor sounding and loads of engine lag??...then u might want to look and understand the brand more in depth!! B-)

..all this ranting has made me thirsty, time to be Irish!! Haha..

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 09-16-2013, 09:16 AM
XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by R_Rated

Look at the E63 wagon... 4700 pounds and 0-60 on 3.5 seconds in a wagon?
Who the hell gives a crap about an MB wagon and its performance? Another totally irrelevant fact as it pertains to AM.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Banned
R_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really nice
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Who the hell gives a crap about an MB wagon and its performance? Another totally irrelevant fact as it pertains to AM.

Anyone looking into what the partnership will do to AM will give a crap. AMG has the technology to push a station wagon that weighs far more to 60 faster than anything AM can come with to date. It's an example of putting new technology to use in AM so they can remain a relevant car maker.

Stick your head in the sand all you want but although beautiful, AM performance is not keeping up nowadays - especially for the price tag.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by irish07
do you really think the AMG powered Aston will be poor sounding and loads of engine lag??...then u might want to look and understand the brand more in depth!! B-)
Read what you wrote again and anyone making these complaints will be of nothing more than ignorance. Turbo technology has changed a lot over the years... DECADES even. It's not like they are running some huge single turbo and going only for peak dyno numbers. Look at the 0-60 times for cars like the new E63 and GTR? Sub 3.5 sec 0-60 hardly leaves time for any lag. Also look at the heavy M5 and M6 times... My neighbor has a C63 and I'd be skeptical of anyone complaining that the exhaust sounded too poor.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM
XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !
^^^^ All guys like you talk about is 0-60, 0-60, ad infinitum. If that's the most important thing to you, then YOU are not the target market for Aston Martin. Go buy a GTR...

Old 09-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Banned
^^^^ All guys like you talk about is 0-60, 0-60, ad infinitum. If that's the most important thing to you, then YOU are not the target market for Aston Martin. Go buy a GTR...
What aspect would you like to talk about? 0-60 is far from the most important thing to me. I have an NASA and SCCA license with hundreds of hours of track time. No Stig here and plenty of room yet for improvement but enough time to know my limits so I am very aware of how a car is balanced when driven in a spirited manner. AM does not sell enough cars to maintain profits enough to reinvest into R&D back into the company by themselves. AM engines and platforms are getting very dated now. AMG has fine suspensions and drive trains in addition to power trains that will do nothing but improve AM.

Look what TATA did for Jag? Could you imagine what AMG will do for AM?

The AM interiors are still beautiful but AM is a sports car and not a luxury cruiser.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by R_Rated

Look what TATA did for Jag? Could you imagine what AMG will do for AM?

Tata is to Jaguar as Ford was to Jaguar/Aston. AMG relationship is not remotely similar. And I can imagine what AMG will do, that's the problem.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Banned
Tata is to Jaguar as Ford was to Jaguar/Aston. AMG relationship is not remotely similar. And I can imagine what AMG will do, that's the problem.

Why are you so angry? A little technology and innovation into Aston will only help it.

I remember a while back there was a comparison between the ISF and E90M3. Both cars produced similar track times with the electronics turned on. As soon as the nannies were all disengaged, it was clear that the M3 had a fantastic chassis while the ISF was all computer witchcraft covering up a commuter car platform. AM has a great chassis and fantastic heritage. Fine tuning the drive train and suspension will make these cars great again.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Viperlaw is infamous around these parts
Not sure why everyone is really freaking out about the engines as AMG do produce great units. I believe the only real in house design of aston engines was the original V8 and the straight 6 by Tadek Marek in the original DB cars. Maybe the original db7 straight 6 aside, I dont think that their engines have really lacked character and AMG units would seem to suit aston's character.

What worries me though is the thought of an aston with just a nice interior and a merc chassis and drivetrain. That's what people should be concerned about.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG Powered Aston Martins Only Three To Four Years Away