Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AMG Powered Aston Martins Only Three To Four Years Away

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:49 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
^^ This, or a rehash of the Chrysler tie-up, is the real concern.

The Ford days were, I think, quite special. Ford seems to have been a rather benign benefactor, sort of like a rich and doting grandparent. Here's some money and ideas, now go and do what you wish, within reason. And at the time, there was a good mix of the old guard, who brought the heritage and best of what Aston had been, with new talent who had the ideas and innovation to revive the marque and throw off some of the shackles that were the worst parts of what Aston had been. Not that I'm an insider - maybe the truth is far different...

There are a lot of questions now. Will MB be a benign presence or more directive and controlling? Who will replace Bez? Say what you will about the man, but he did a lot of good things while he had the money to do them with. And, with sufficient funds and importantly, sufficient free rein, does the current talent at Aston have the ability to switch gears and get out the current mindset of rehashing the same model with ever increasing, crass and overwrought styling exercises?

Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by R_Rated
As soon as the nannies were all disengaged, it was clear that the M3 had a fantastic chassis while the ISF was all computer witchcraft covering up a commuter car platform.
LOL this brings back memories of a Skip Barber course a number of years ago. At the time they had just obtained some IS-F's. What an engine! But the memory that sticks most in the mind was the hot laps with one of the instructors around Lime Rock, DSC off, naturally. I have never seen a busier man behind the wheel...

Old 09-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by spinecho
There are a lot of questions now. Will MB be a benign presence or more directive and controlling? ...
MB is just supplying engines, right? It wasn't my understanding that they were taking over like Ford did.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:34 PM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by irish07
OMG!! Seriously some ppl make it sound like Aston has a V8 and V12 that they made and designed from scratched....Aston has designed NOTHING from scratch when it comes to powertrain!! LoL...The V8 comes from the BASE design of a Jag 4.2L..and the V12 comes from the BASE design of a V6 Ford SHO..Cosworth took and designed it into the V12 back in the late '90s, Aston has just been milking off this design for over 2 decades now..time for a change

The AMG motors going into an Aston in the years to come will not be a direct fit into a Benz car like some of the haters make it sound.....Aston will take the AMG engine designs and make it there own just like they did with the Jag 4.2L back in 2005...I'm sure if this stuff about the Benz deal was not even broadcasted...nobody would even know and be rising such concerns about exhaust notes and turbo lag..these same ppl would be complimenting about "its about time Aston stepped up there game in power!!" or "about time Aston adapted to current technology"

How long do you think they should be dragging on motors that are decades old..I mean V12 JUST got VVT..WTF?? About time don't you think, can't say they didn't have the technology...they had it on V8, but had to a halo car One77 to raise the cash for funding to engineer VVT on a V12??....there broke, and working on the inside I'm glad they paired up with Benz..means my job still has years to come.don't get me wrong, I love Astons past and how far they came with barely nothing, Amazing for a company!!...but I'm now looking at how great they will IMPROVE on there company..there stubborn Brits, do you really think the AMG powered Aston will be poor sounding and loads of engine lag??...then u might want to look and understand the brand more in depth!! B-)

..all this ranting has made me thirsty, time to be Irish!! Haha..
Could not agree more, Irish.
In my humble opinion Aston had no choice but to do a technology deal. Somehow they manage to pull it off with arguably the best engine technology company in the world and the flat-earthers bemoan potential loss of "soul"? 20 year old, re-purposed Ford engine technology gives "soul" to a $300K car that can't keep up with any of its competitors in terms of engine or transmission?

"Soul" is perhaps better thought of embodied in the car in its entirety, the entire design, not just the engine. Aston's will have revitalized soul with AMG engines,because it is that one thing Aston is proficient at instilling in their cars. They focus on it.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:42 PM
07sportspack is infamous around these parts
With the pending management change at the top of AM and the focus on dramatically increasing sales in 2015/16, AMG will be playing some role for sure. What role ? That's the question. The new (CEO) management will be a more determining factor than ever at this point.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !

Read what you wrote again and anyone making these complaints will be of nothing more than ignorance. Turbo technology has changed a lot over the years... DECADES even. It's not like they are running some huge single turbo and going only for peak dyno numbers. Look at the 0-60 times for cars like the new E63 and GTR? Sub 3.5 sec 0-60 hardly leaves time for any lag. Also look at the heavy M5 and M6 times... My neighbor has a C63 and I'd be skeptical of anyone complaining that the exhaust sounded too poor.
Me read? ..Hehe after reading ur comment..think u need to read it again..cause it sounds like we're on the same page

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 09-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 07sportspack
With the pending management change at the top of AM and the focus on dramatically increasing sales in 2015/16, AMG will be playing some role for sure. What role ? That's the question. The new (CEO) management will be a more determining factor than ever at this point.
What role? From what I remember in the deal..MB has no controlling right and Investindustrial has 37.5% controlling...MB and Investindustrial don't even make up 51%..think MB only has 5%...Guys, its just a powertrain and technology deal, no chassis, no styling, no take over...it's not the selling of a brand, believe Prodrive still owns the largest chunk..really think there going to sell off Aston and start wearing AMG jerseys?..

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 09-17-2013, 01:47 AM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
Next Gen Ferrari's to Get Turbocharged Power:
http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-ne...#axzz2f8FQTovR

I'll be amazed if I see a V10 or V12 in any place other than a museum in the next 10 years. I fear for the future of Aston Martin no less than I fear for the future of any other exotic car company.

Frankly, if Aston Martin has to take a small cut into its heritage so that my only automotive option in a few years isn't some stupid econo-hippy-box, go for it.

Last edited by blue_skies; 09-17-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:21 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
The good news is AM just came out with the new Vanquish and the V12VS so 12 cylinders will be available for several years to come.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:05 AM
Banned
R_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really nice
Originally Posted by irish07
Me read? ..Hehe after reading ur comment..think u need to read it again..cause it sounds like we're on the same page
I read (red) what you wrote again and was concurring.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Basic Sponsor

I read (red) what you wrote again and was concurring.
Hehe..no worries

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 09-17-2013, 11:15 PM
AJN334 is infamous around these parts
Many of you need to go back and reread the article. As indicated here on the 3 page by multiple members, AMG is not taking over the company rather supplying parts - powertrain parts.

I think where many of us are concerned is by the potential radical change in direction/development just when this great marque was starting to get back on the map. And while many of us don't like the associations with Ford...it is hard to argue with the fact that the past decade has been the most successful in Aston's history, producing some of its greatest cars.

We should be far more concerned with the continued management and strategic direction of this marque. If Aston plans to just dump out of the box AMG branded motors in the cars...i think that may hurt the brand. On the flip side dumping an AMG branded motor in a Pagani Zonda has not diminished that car's "soul" or mystique. Its arguing one of the most intriguing cars ever produced.

As for the Vantage, I hope the future direction with this model is to make it an evolution similar to what Porsche has done with the 911 rather then a constant radical shift with a new focus and target market for each model generation. Aston has made amazing strides in racing and has been able to really be the 911's only competitor across all forms of GT racing. Even though the Vantage chasis/platform is aging... it is still one of the best on the market for an out of the box race car. These cars are a top choice for many teams looking for a great balanced chasis, with reliability and a tunable motor. Just this year at Le Mans the Aston Vantage GT4's were picked as a favorite laying down some of the fastest lap times...

I think Aston's are only going to continue getting better with the current management.... Many more are starting to notice this 'unpowered' marque...

Old 09-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
AMG engine in an Aston = Beginning of the end of a great marque
And it wasn't when they stuffed two cast together Ford Duratecs in the engine bay?

Old 09-19-2013, 09:26 PM
XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Heist
And it wasn't when they stuffed two cast together Ford Duratecs in the engine bay?
Hell no

Old 09-20-2013, 01:45 AM
Grant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really nice
The truth is Aston just can't afford to go it totally alone in the long term. They are one of very few (probably the only one of their size) high end global manufacturers that aren't owned by one of the big groups. The cost of developing new engines and keeping pace with fast moving emissions legislation is absolutely immense, and the Volvo based electronic architecture is in need of an overhaul, no way can they afford to develop their own and keep pace with ultra fast moving hi-tech world.

AMG / Merc have produced some very bespoke power units for the likes of Zonda to good effect, so why not Aston, who will surely also wish to stamp their own bespoke DNA on any new engine. So I don't think A.M. Will simply slot a current V8 into the next Vantage.

Aston have only just fettled the V12 and have an agreement in place with Ford for their dedicated engine plant in Germany, so as is clearly indicated by the press release I believe a new V8 will be first, but who knows for the long term...

Interesting and exciting times, but I have faith in Aston's ability to take key quality components (like they do from Bilstein, Brembo, Conti etc) and weave them into the VH- platform while retaining that unique Aston Martin DNA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG Powered Aston Martins Only Three To Four Years Away