Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Exhaust valves stuck, help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 05:12 PM
jmargolese is infamous around these partsjmargolese is infamous around these parts
Exhaust valves stuck, help?

Hi, I was out the other night with my v8v, everything was sounding just right. I parked for a while and when I started the car and drove off the sound of my exhaust was significantly louder. It is only loud when the engine.is under load accelerating. To me it sounds like my exhaust valves that are normally closed below 4000rpm? Are stuck in the open position. Everything else is working correctly, no CEL, smell, etc. I have RSC headers and cats, stock exhaust. Have had all of that for more than 9 months.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:26 PM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
Check fuse in the trunk 22 to see if it's blown. Could also be the vacuum hoses that operate the valves are somehow damaged.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:32 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
y dont you just leave it open? we love the sound! or we could have purchased a porsche

Old 09-16-2013, 09:10 AM
jmargolese is infamous around these partsjmargolese is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by captain Greg
y dont you just leave it open? we love the sound! or we could have purchased a porsche
I do love the sound, but my wife and the neighbors do not. It is way too loud for me. This is a roadster and top down its all you can hear.

Also, after further "listening" to the sound it is not the valve that is stuck open as I can still hear it come open after high RPM. Seems like the sound is coming directly from the muffler. It actually sounds pretty cool, but way too loud to be normal. I just ordered a new exhaust from Stu. I figured if I have to repair anything on the old exhaust might as well just get a new one and be done with it.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:41 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
The vacuum lines that control the valve break. Either the rubber pieces to the valves themselves or the plastic 'T' , or on one car the plastic line breaks. This can cause the valves to stay open, just as if fuse 22 was pulled. The best way is to get under the car when it's cold, don't want to burn ourselves now, and check the connection at the two vacuum valves on the muffler itself. If there ok, near the passenger side rear where the pump is or near the passenger side valve the Vacuum T is there, check it too.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by AMFixer
The vacuum lines that control the valve break. Either the rubber pieces to the valves themselves or the plastic 'T' , or on one car the plastic line breaks. This can cause the valves to stay open, just as if fuse 22 was pulled. The best way is to get under the car when it's cold, don't want to burn ourselves now, and check the connection at the two vacuum valves on the muffler itself. If there ok, near the passenger side rear where the pump is or near the passenger side valve the Vacuum T is there, check it too.
Thanks, I will check this when I get home tonight.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:44 PM
ArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the rough
Any resolution to this? Post what you've found in case someone else encounters the same issue.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by ArtB
Any resolution to this? Post what you've found in case someone else encounters the same issue.
Will do, I will check tonight. It was dark when I arrived home last night too late to see anything under the car.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:52 PM
ArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the rough
Don't blame you!