Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

3rd time a Charm? Is the V12VS worth it??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:41 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by plastique999
A couple phone calls to gather information in my research. The Sportshift III is a completely different gearbox from the previous Sportshift II with clutch plates. It was stressed that the car should be driven like a manual with a slight breathe/lift throttle during gear change. This will ensure much smoother shifting....kind of like the old SMG's in BMW's.

I'll continue to update as I do further research.
Interesting because that's exactly what I've been told to do when I owned a SportShift I and II.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:33 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
A friend of mine is an auto journalist. He was flown out to drive the V12S and was very impressed with the car, but not the transmission. He drove my 2008 V12 Vantage 6spd afterward and said that my car was the one to get. Perhaps he was being nice, but I think he really just thought the tranny ruined an amazing car.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:55 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Go figure. This is exactly what I was told not to do by the factory driving instructors while I was driving the V12VS. They specifically said "don't lift during shifts".
I spoke to two dealerships who mentioned lifting....I think there will be differing opinions. I don't think that it matters too much either way, but that lifting will allow a "smoother" transition vs a "jolt" upon gear change.
Part of the issue is that with any SCT there will always be a bit of a "shift sensation." Certain SCT gearboxes are smoother than others. The SMG's were very drastic, almost neck breaking, whereas the F1 transmissions on 430's and Scuds is a lot quicker but still gives a slight jolt. So there will always be a sensation of "gear change," as opposed to a DCT. This contributes to the "rawness" described in the car. I am not a fan of DCT.

I think the point of contention is how fast the gearbox actually shifts gears, and it sounds like the SS III has been criticized to be a tad slow.
I'll find out in a couple days...

Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Honestly, while driving on the track, i wouldn't characterize the gearshifts on SSIII as being slow. In fact, they are insanely fast on the track. The issue most people have is when driving sedately or in "D" mode.

Last edited by karlfranz; 04-25-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Honestly, while driving on the track, i wouldn't characterize the gearshifts on SSIII as being slow. The issue most people have is when driving sedately or in "D" mode.
Don't know about SSIII, but on an 09 SS I never ever use D. I tried for a few minutes, but then I get tired of how utterly crap it is and switch back to paddles. I tend to feather the throttle, specially in lower gears. Official AM guide says to feather it...

Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Bleen
Don't know about SSIII, but on an 09 SS I never ever use D. I tried for a few minutes, but then I get tired of how utterly crap it is and switch back to paddles. I tend to feather the throttle, specially in lower gears. Official AM guide says to feather it...
Exactly...I never drive in auto or "D" mode in any of my paddle shifters- 16M or previous M5, M6, M3. So if there's a little interaction required with moderate aggressive driving, I welcome that! Keeps it somewhat raw.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:43 PM
I like Chris Harris reviews....somewhat of a strange comparison of the GT3, C63 AMG Black series and V12VS. Kind of unfair as the GT3 is a clear winner.
However some interesting comments Chris makes about the V12VS tranny - he says it is "clean" ...."smooth" ...."antiquated but nostalgic...fun". Of course he prefers a manual. The PDK is clearly better than the other 2 trannies.
Interestingly, he says the AMG tranny is the slowest of the 3 (bode well for Aston's future?)

Here is the vid...a bit long

http://youtu.be/794j_U6Hau4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=794j_U6Hau4&sns=em

Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
... V8 wil be the naturally aspirated 5.5L out of the current SLK55 ...
If this is true (and I really hope it's not), then what Aston has said -- AMG and AM are developing bespoke V8 engines for Aston Martin -- is a complete and total lie.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Speedraser
If this is true (and I really hope it's not), then what Aston has said -- AMG and AM are developing bespoke V8 engines for Aston Martin -- is a complete and total lie.
This is purely conjecture. If I was Aston, I'd at least add a blower to that...

Old 04-25-2014, 11:11 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
V8 wil be the naturally aspirated 5.5L out of the current SLK55 which has stop/start and cylinder deactivation technology already in it.
Originally Posted by Speedraser
I'll wave the BS flag nice and high on this.

There's no way they'll stick the SLK55's engine into an Aston Martin. The SLK is the cheapest AMG aside from the CLA, so perception won't allow it. It's got 415 HP and 398 TQ with a lower redline compared to the 430 HP and 361 TQ of the V8VS. Sure, it's got more torque, but it has less horsepower and a lower peak RPM. With Aston falling behind in the performance game, they cannot possibly survive if they spend their R&D on an engine with no substantial improvement in performance.

AMG's M157 is a 5.5L twin-turbo putting out well over 500 HP. For an off-the-shelf AMG engine, that's the one the Vantage needs.

If AM sticks to naturally-aspirated, I could see them using a derivative of the SLS's 6.2L V8. I'd LOVE to see the SLS Black's engine dropped into a Vantage.

If the engine is truly bespoke, I'm willing to bet it's much closer to the SLS's engine than that of the SLK55.

Last edited by telum01; 04-25-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RossL
Interesting because that's exactly what I've been told to do when I owned a SportShift I and II.
No, your not to lift, if you lift you will never activate hypershift..hypershift is while in sport mode and +90% throttle, trans shifts are insanely quick, fast enough to snap ur neck...its quick..aka:Hypershift

Yes, you are to drive the car like a manual in relation to shifts..aka get to a stop, put in neutral, use paddles not D..D is or parking type if situations, not for driving around all day like your salesman might try and sell you, that's the B.S that ruined ASM's image...its a manual car, just without a clutch pedal..ppl that never driven manual should not buy an ASM Aston vehicle..just my 2cents

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-25-2014, 02:40 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
The reviewers who drove the V12VS and commented negatively on the transmission are experienced guys who drive some of the fastest cars in the world, and they weren't driving in "D."

Old 04-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer_X
The reviewers who drove the V12VS and commented negatively on the transmission are experienced guys who drive some of the fastest cars in the world, and they weren't driving in "D."
True, but they most compare it to being slow shifted when aside a DSG, of course it's going to be..anyone on here driven a DSG? You guys feel engaged to the car or get bored driving it on the street?...I get bored fast on the street driving DSG style transmissions..sure in the track DSG is AWESOME, but how many drive there Aston each weekend on the track let alone even been to the track..

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
The SCT in my scud is engaging. I enjoy driving it. If the transmission in the V12VS were as good as that I don't think I, or the reviewers, would have any complaints. Also, no one has complained about he SCT in the Aventador being slow to respond (about it being violent, yes, but slow, no).

Old 04-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by irish07
True, but they most compare it to being slow shifted when aside a DSG, of course it's going to be..anyone on here driven a DSG? You guys feel engaged to the car or get bored driving it on the street?...I get bored fast on the street driving DSG style transmissions..sure in the track DSG is AWESOME, but how many drive there Aston each weekend on the track let alone even been to the track..
I used to own an M3 with the DCT and really miss the transmission...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3rd time a Charm? Is the V12VS worth it??