Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage rear pads replacement difficulty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 03:03 PM
PhoenixRising is infamous around these parts
V8 Vantage rear pads replacement difficulty?

I've got an '09 V8V and have gotten extremely adept at performing a front pad/rotor change as I had to work through a couple sets of really noisy/dusty pads till I found the Carbotech that work GREAT for me.

Now it's time to do the rears as I just got the warning light on my dash today. My mechanic stated that the rears are different than the fronts in that they are calibrated using a computer due to a 'kissing' action that they perform similar to the clutch plate. Is this true?

I'm more than comfortable replacing the rears if that's NOT the case. Otherwise I'll be taking it in for the service. But I actually enjoy doing this kind of maintenance on our cars.

I do know that the parking brake calipers are a little different in that they don't get 'pressed' back in for new pads - they get rotated back into place. That shouldn't pose a problem. If there is anything else anyone has found I would greatly appreciate your advise. Thanks and happy driving.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:07 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
No not true, the only trick to the rears is the ford rotating auto adjusting EBRAKE caliper which you already mentioned, but if you aren't changing rotors you don't need to touch the EBRAKE pads, just replace the main rear brake pads and you are good to go. Other then that it's standard brake pad swap.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the quick response!

It looks as though there isn't much pad left on the parking brake pads. I thought about replacing them at the same time as the rear mains.

Since new pads will have more material, wouldn't I need to rotate the caliper piston down to allow for the new thickness? I can then use the e-brake to adjust it.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:29 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
The EBRAKE pads only come with about 5mm of pad material new... I thought the same thing, then when I pulled the New EBRAKE pads out of the box they were almost identical, they had like 95% pad life left! and that was at 12k on my last car.

Your EBRAKE pads are fine

Old 07-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising

Since new pads will have more material, wouldn't I need to rotate the caliper piston down to allow for the new thickness? I can then use the e-brake to adjust it.

The actual main caliper pistons are a standard sliding design, only the EBRAKE has a ratcheting style auto adjusting rotating piston. The only time you need to rewind the EBRAKE piston back is if you put in new rotors (which are much thicker than an old used set that is past it's service life).

If you are keeping same rotors, just swap the brake pads in & out and leave entire EBRAKE assembly alone.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Sorry for the confusion, I knew that the parking brake piston was the only ratchet type - I was just saying that while I'm in there doing the mains, I might as well do the parking brake since it looks as though it has very little meat to it. And in replacing that with a set of pads with more meat, I would have to adjust the ratchet piston to compensate for the new, thicker pads.

Makes sense to me to replace all pads if I'm in there.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:08 PM
If you are replacing the EBRAKE pads that's fine, But I think you will be surprise just how little wear is on your EBRAKE pads. They rarely need to be replace if ever during the life of the car (unless you have insane mileage). You may not even need to rewind the EBRAKE piston there is so little wear, but if it makes you feel better to be comprehensive it can't hurt

Old 07-20-2014, 12:47 PM
CARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of light
I had to change my ebrake pads as one had lost the friction material (04 DB9 from salty UK)

Old 07-20-2014, 02:26 PM
007 - I just found the e-brake pads on eBay. Another thread post mentioned they are the same pads used on the Jag S Type.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-S-T...ht_1071wt_1037

And now that I've seen a new pair, you're absolutely right. They don't have anywhere near the same amount of material on them that you would see on the mains. I think I'm going to leave them alone!

Old 07-20-2014, 11:34 PM
lol, wise man

Just swap out the mains you will be just fine. If you have the patience to do so a nice basic writeup for the rest of the forum members would be a great way to contribute as well for those also wanting to do the same.

All the best,