Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

First set of mods for my new GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 05:51 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Lovely Karl, can't wait to see you getting your hands on the car once its there!

Old 09-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Alternatively, and talking about seat controls... they could be custom 3d printed in metal, by scanning a plastic set, cleaning up the data, and uploading to a 3rd party metal printing website/service. Has anyone looked into that?

Old 09-02-2014, 03:31 PM
courtier is infamous around these parts
Karl,
I know if anyone can pull this off it's you. I've seen other mods you've done and been highly impressed. But I'm curious how you're going to deal with the single lumbar switch on the new (Vanquish) control? On my 2011 V8V, there are actually two lumbar controls (upper and lower) but they're located on seat itself by the butt warmer switch, not on the center console switch. Are you going to run wires from the seat into the new controller? Or just leave that switch inoperable? Or maybe make it the stealth oil screen or machine gun button? ;-)

Originally Posted by karlfranz
It's not just because the connectors are different. The way the controls interface to the car is completely different. In layman's terms: the Vantage controls use an individual pair of wires for each seat function. On the Vanquish controls, all functions are encoded and combined onto a single pair of wires. This is an oversimplified explanation, but you get the picture. The thing is, in order to make it work, I have to make a new circuit board for the new controls to make them appear to the car as if they are the old ones. This would be a one-off process as I would not have any interest in going into the business of making custom seat controls.

So, in a nutshell, Q was oversimplifying their response to you, Tim, but they were accurate. By all intents, you cannot just put the newer controls on any Vantage. This is a shame because the black plastic ones look really out of place, especially on a $200k+ car.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:35 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
My plan was to not use that switch. I could even use it for some other purpose, although I can't think of one at the moment.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:16 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Replacing the leather shift boot on the DBS shifter with jet black Alcantara to match the seats, doors, instrument binnacle and headliner:

Old 09-11-2014, 07:11 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Looks good! I'm enjoying all the work you're doing on your car that you don't have yet hahaha

Old 09-11-2014, 08:36 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Really appreciating the oppurtunity to use my imagination!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:50 PM
More goodies to be installed:

Last edited by karlfranz; 09-14-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:13 AM
spf1410 has a spectacular aura aboutspf1410 has a spectacular aura about
Karl, you're like ... a Wizard or something! I have trouble checking the oil level. You are remarkably talented at doing these high quality mods. My hat is off to you for sure! Very cool... keep 'em coming.

BTW, I secretly lust after the big aluminum DBS shift lever. How tough it that to install?

Cheers,

Jim

Old 09-14-2014, 05:06 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
Karl is that AM carbon or someone else?

More goodies to be installed:

Old 09-14-2014, 06:50 AM
They are all genuine Aston Martin OEM parts ordered from my dealer.

I also have the rear diffuser in a big box in the garage waiting to be installed. I will have to remove the front and rear bumpers to replace the parts.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:59 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Do where did you pick up the Carbon fiber parts?

Old 09-14-2014, 07:26 AM
^^^^ Aston Martin of Orlando.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:01 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
I note the box had Carbotech tape on it. They must be the maker of the AM factory stuff. Top quality carbon, know them from putting their stuff on my ducatis.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:14 AM
They are all genuine Aston Martin OEM parts ordered from my dealer.

I also have the rear diffuser in a big box in the garage waiting to be installed. I will have to remove the front and rear bumpers to replace the parts.
Very nice on the use of OEM parts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First set of mods for my new GT