Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Couple of Quick ? re: speakers in Vantage V8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 07:23 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Couple of Quick ? re: speakers in Vantage V8

Ok, I've decided to replace the factory speakers with some aftermarket models. Btw, IMO, the premium sound system is fantastic. Audiophile sound in an auto is sort of an oxymoron, but I'm rambling. I'm merely replacing the speaker because I'm experienced enough with car audio to know that the speakers are one area of a stock system that can be improved.

From research, it appears the speaker that most replace with is the Focal 100AC.

My first question, however, has to do with another model called
the Focal Performance PC100.

1. Has anyone tried the Focal Performance PC100? This speaker is rated at 100 watts peak, but has a lower freq. response of 100 Hz, as opposed to the 70Hz of the Focal 100AC.

My other questions are:

2. Are the doors speakers and the rear speakers the same?

3. What about the center speaker? What is the dimension of that speaker and what's the replacement that's used there?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-12-2014, 09:21 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Nothing??

Old 10-12-2014, 10:52 AM
midwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Nothing??
You posted your question on a Saturday night and are surprised there isn't a response by Lunch on Sunday?

I would imagine many people aren't answering because not many people have "upgraded" the premium sound system. The factory door speakers are 100w and designed by Alpine anyways (so are the rears). Here's a snippet from this link about the premium audio: http://www.astonmartinreview.co.uk/V...%20options.pdf

"The door mounted speakers are
upgraded to 100W – there are two additional
rear 100W speakers added (each with 4-inch
mid-bass and 1-inch soft dome tweeter units)
- an additional 100W 4–inch co-ax mid-bass
centre dash speaker and the Subwoofer (now
UR 8 inch twin coil) is upgraded to 200W.
Total output is increased to 700 Watts and it
also features Dolby 5.1 Pro-Logic II surround
sound functions. You also gain additional
controls to vary the subwoofer, surround
level, centre speaker and fade in addition to
the usual, treble, bass etc. There is also a
5-band graphic equaliser allowing fine control
of various frequencies for best sound set-up.
The sound is fabulous with good clarity and
immense depth at all volumes, although it
does need to be set-up correctly. It is capable
of filling the cabin with sound even at high
speeds in a Roadster roof down. If you like
good sound quality in your car stereo this is a
must buy option, unless you can afford the
range topping Bang & Olufsen system."

Old 10-13-2014, 09:41 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Echoing what midwest said... I don't think anyone has bothered upgrading the Premium system. I believe at least a few people have done the standard one (it needs it) but I've never heard of the Premium getting messed with.

You'll need to find specs on the actual speakers used by Alpine. You might be able to find part numbers on the speakers themselves and see if you can pull up info online, then compare those specs to whatever you're looking to use as replacements. I think that's going to be your best bet. But you won't get those specs from Aston, and usually their OEMs are extremely tight-lipped on what they supply to AML (trust me, I've talked to several, or at least tried to).

Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Nothing??
I just lost one of my dogs on Friday to cancer and I'm losing my other one tomorrow to a different kind of cancer. I've been a complete wreck the last week. I'm on the forum quite a bit but we all have things to tend to Not trying to be a downer or threadjack, but in case anyone was wondering where I went and why PMs haven't been responded to the last few days, there it is.

Last edited by telum01; 10-13-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the input telum01.

Firstly, let me extend my condolences on your downturn in life that you're currently experiencing.

With that said, after "retuning" the system. Some of the weaknesses that I identified have gone. So perhaps my issues had more to do with having to go through the settings, as such.

I also determined the distortion was in the source. So after auditioning a very wide range of music, I've determined that the system is just fine. I'd say outstanding to be more precise.

Closed book here....

Old 10-13-2014, 12:07 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Yes, the Premium Audio is actually spectacularly good. I can't imagine needing something much better for a sound system that has to compete against road and exhaust noise.