Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Corgi Influence

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:32 AM
AMCan is infamous around these parts
Corgi Influence

Sorry - Updated with correct URL to article (not to article about article)...

Hey - A great article from James May (TopGear) on the influence of the Corgi DB5 on Aston Martin... Most notable is his last sentence "Without Corgi we might not have Aston Martin." You might dismiss this at first, but read the piece and see if you don't agree. I was one of the kids he's talking about (the exact demographic in fact). Wondering if anyone else out there fits the profile as well?

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/james-...cant-car-ever/

Last edited by AMCan; 01-26-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: wrong url posted
Old 01-26-2015, 05:24 PM
zuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud of
Yep, I'm an American now, but I grew up in England and had the Corgi DB5. My grandmother bought it for me, and thinking of it reminds me of her living room 50 years ago. I also had the Donald Campbell "Bluebird."

Old 01-27-2015, 11:04 AM
boxercupdave has a spectacular aura aboutboxercupdave has a spectacular aura about
I still have mine though the little man from the passenger seat is missing.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:35 PM
AMCan is infamous around these parts
No idea what ever happened to mine. Got it while travelling (at a ship's store after seeing Goldfinger on the voyage). Must have been '65 or '66. I hadn't given it any thought, but recently picked up a somewhat used reproduction (pictured). What's interesting (to me at least) is where I found it...

...in a pawn shop in Leamington Spa while waiting for our afternoon train back to London. As anyone who's done the trip knows - just about the only reason someone from outside of England would end up there (apologies to Queen Victoria and to the very friendly people in L.S.) - would be a trip to our best friends in Gaydon. It just seemed appropriate to take a second smaller one home as well.

What this has got me thinking about is tracking down the serial number of my Vantage so I can get moving on ordering that ejection seat button from Bamford Rose. Just not sure what the dealer will think of the mod at its first service coming up in the spring.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:49 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by zuman
Yep, I'm an American now, but I grew up in England and had the Corgi DB5. My grandmother bought it for me, and thinking of it reminds me of her living room 50 years ago. I also had the Donald Campbell "Bluebird."

Similar life trajectory in that I'm also American now.

People I know of my age who are now in a position finally to buy “a nice car” are inevitably drawn to Astons. Some of it is to do with Britishness, some of it with Bond fantasies, but largely, I suspect, it’s the influence of this most iconic of toy cars.

My mum gave me the Corgi DB5, and I also had the "Bluebird" (had the car and the boat for that matter!).

Last edited by terminal_ac; 01-30-2015 at 08:58 AM.