Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DIY: simple cornering light upgrade to LED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2015 | 12:58 AM
|
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
DIY: simple cornering light upgrade to LED

One of the recent DIY's I tackled was that of upgrading my headlight cornering light-bulbs. The standard PY27/7v-style orange bulbs 'reflect' this orange hue all over the blinker light area on the headlights. This doesn't give it the look it should have imho. With bad experience on previous cars with the chrome-covered bulbs, I decided to upgrade to LED instead.

Because I'm not a fan of multi-SMD-led style bulbs (directional light and questionable quality), I further searched and found this single orange-led bulb which still has the glass-bulb incorporated enabling the light a 360 degree angle which replicates the OEM-bulbs 'shine'.

I bought them thru eBay and this search term "AMBER SMD 9W CREE CHIP 3157 DUAL FILAMENTS LED LIGHT BULBS" will get you where you need to be. Do not forget to order a set of 50 W 6 Ohm resistors to prevent rapid flashing and error messages in your instrument panel.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bulb_before&after.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	525.8 KB
ID:	426104  
Attached Images   
Old 08-16-2015 | 09:11 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Great writeup, much improved!

Old 09-16-2015 | 10:20 AM
Ekaplan1020 is a jewel in the roughEkaplan1020 is a jewel in the roughEkaplan1020 is a jewel in the rough
I really like the look and will try to do this also. Did you have to take the wheels off to change the bulb or was there a better way to access them. Also, was it easy to install the relays? Could you describe or post a photo showing how you connected them? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Ethan

Last edited by Ekaplan1020; 09-16-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2015 | 07:59 AM
|
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Ekaplan1020
I really like the look and will try to do this also. Did you have to take the wheels off to change the bulb or was there a better way to access them. Also, was it easy to install the relays? Could you describe or post a photo showing how you connected them? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Ethan
You have to take the wheels, inner fenders and air-filter boxes off: this is the only way to gain proper access to the lights. You need to remove the latter as well to allow the resistor to be placed correctly. I installed the resistors on the chassis-outriggers (just below where the corner-light-wiring runs) by means of pop-rivets and a lick of SikaFlex automotive sealant. They do get warm so make sure they're mounted to an aluminium surface. It's a simple connection of the two (2) wires to the two (2) wires of your cornering lights and off you go.

Old 10-06-2015 | 08:18 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
So just curious how does dual color LED WORK.
Do they work on DB9?