Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Why I dropped Porsche.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:29 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I drove a 4.3L V8V and a 997 C2S before deciding an the Vantage. The C2S was an excellent car, but that was it. It was a great car. The Aston tickled my unmentionables in the good ways. 4 years later, no ragrets.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:25 AM
ssaa77 is infamous around these parts
So are you saying the v12 vantage really sucked because of the tranny, nose heavy, or both. I had an 07 vantage a few years ago and recently drove a v12 and was blown away by the difference (both manuals). Just never heard anyone say the v12 really really sucked except for the sportshift, but even that has been heavily debated on this forum.

Old 06-16-2024, 04:54 PM
wcl4 is infamous around these parts
I think I could speak to what the OP is talking about. I used to have V12V and traded it for a F360, but recently acquired a V8 GTS convertible – a nice addition to a DBS that I own. All the cars are manuals. The V12 has an unmatched tone to the engine note, and though the V8 sounds great, its just not the same. The V12 is a silky smooth engine with noticeably more power and torque than the V8. Though the V8 isn't bad on the power, stepping into a V12, I could understand how someone would be blown away. I wouldn't say the V12V sucked, but I can understand where the OP is coming from.

That said, something about the heavier engine on a shorter front makes the car feel nose heavy, especially on the hard turns around back roads. Yes Aston made some suspension adjustments to compensate for the extra weight, but I will say sometimes going over bumpy roads the front end felt harsh. The same engine on the DBS feels a lot more appropriate and doesn't have the same weighty front feeling as the V12.

Old 06-17-2024, 11:54 AM
JT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura about
Interesting comments and an enjoyable read.

I own a V12V and a 997 C2S. To me, they are different machines and even serve slightly different purposes - room for both in the garage! The Porsche being more all around useable and less finicky. A car that will take on whatever weather conditions you throw at it and can be parked almost anywhere without much concern. A car that (in my head) is perhaps more reliable and provides a measure of comfort with the massive dealer network and aftermarket support to back it up. The sound it makes is extremely different - but I admit I love both, the Porsche having a more mechanical, precise and purposeful whirring.

The Aston is a more upscale, beautiful offering that is perfection for the right occasion. WAY more of a sense of drama with a visceral, analog feel. A true brute-force engine, but wrapped in an alluring, luxurious package. Less perfect as well - but in a good way. Certainly more of a bespoke build with generally much higher quality materials. Obviously much more rare for those in the know to see on public streets. The sound of the V12, especially with the exhaust opened up a bit, is in very rare territory within the automotive world - truly a special sound, especially when the right combination of RPM and throttle create a certain perfect tune.

Old 06-17-2024, 01:41 PM
momo stallion is infamous around these parts
old post here but i'll throw in my 2 cents about the v8v vs v12v.

i had a manual v8v and now a manual v12v. had them both concurrently for about a month.
the v8 was a 2014 so the best in terms of steering rack ratio and brakes. 2012.25+ v8 steering rack is fantastic, super direct, great feel and control. the v12 feels like a slower ratio with some more deadzone in center.
the v8 obviously excels in balance. the engine doesn't feel like it's way in front of you (as it's a mid front engine). not to mention the car weighs significantly less. all of this correlates to a better handling car.
my v8 was non sports pack, so comfort suspension. it was genuinely comfortable for street use. the ride quality was better than the v12. funny though, cause if it wanted to track, it would be the v8. if it want to cruise, it would be the v12.

that said, the v12's positives:
sounds magnificent. even though both cars have some aftermarket exhaust components. the v8 was nice for sure but the v12 combined with the v12's starter makes the cold start so damn beautiful and fits the car.
has power. even though it's only ~100 more hp/torques, it tries to break the tires lose in lower gears. the mid range power is fantastic, quite nice for a street car. the v8 wasnt slow but just felt like it lacked torque and needed to rev to enjoy.
the clutch is phenomenal. perhaps some of the credit is due to the flywheel but this is how any clutch should feel.

now as far as porsche, they are great cars, easily the better daily, cheaper if you track. the lightness is nice but i'm not one that agrees about the feel of 911s. compare a 997 c2/c2s manual to a v8v manual and you are likely paying a good bit more. i could never do that with how good a vantage sounds and looks (inside and out).

Old 06-17-2024, 05:17 PM
Argus has a spectacular aura aboutArgus has a spectacular aura about
I have a 4.3 2007 Vantage and it is fast enough for use in the real world of day to day driving. I would like more low end torque but there is enough grunt to do most things. The 4.7 Vantage is faster so you should be happy. The only place I can open my car up is the highway because of the traffic in my city. Besides you see Porsches all the time but very few AMs.
one of my best friends brought a band new Porsche 911. My car and his car were parked next to each other and he even admitted my Vantage was a great looking car.

Last edited by Argus; 06-17-2024 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 08:07 PM
wcl4 is infamous around these parts
Agree with your assessment Momo. The 4.7 could use a bit more low end torque like the v12, but I prefer the v8 since I have the v12 dbs - really makes the difference between the two cars apparent. If I was only to have one, I’d opt for the v12 for the engine noise and the rarity.

Old 06-20-2024, 07:04 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche makes more vehicles in a month than Aston Martin did in the whole 12 year run of the previous generation Vantage...

I like the rarity of the Aston Martin marque...

Old 06-27-2024, 05:45 PM
sweet991S
MRCW--- your verbiage perfectly captured my feelings as well. And for me, after speaking with the North American AM Rep a few months ago and review of my VIN, he mentioned that my 2010 V8V Roadster (one of 88 imported that yr to NA), 6 speed manual (one of just 22 sold that MY), and the fact that it's a Q colour, Fire Red, makes it a 'one of one' for the 2010 MY.
That sort of rarity is why I have moved away from Porsche (10, in various MY and configurations), and more recently, a beautiful (but utterly soulless and without personality) 2022 C8 HTC, Z41, 3LT- Elkhart Lake Blue w/ Natl Dip interior. Nice enough, but again - no bespoke feel at all, even after the Corvette Museum ran the VIN and stated it was a 'one of one' for that year.
LOVE my V8V - even after the top crapped the bed, a new clutch and new door struts. One day soon it will be 110% perfect!!

Old 06-27-2024, 08:32 PM
irvineboy is infamous around these parts
People here love the GT3. I heard one the other day. I’m probably one of the few who think it doesn’t sound that great. I’m sure it drives well. I’ll say my v8v looks much classier and unique. I’ll even go to say that it sounds throatier but not as loud as the GT3. $250k for a 911? Not sure about that.

Old 06-28-2024, 06:05 AM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by irvineboy
People here love the GT3. I heard one the other day. I’m probably one of the few who think it doesn’t sound that great. I’m sure it drives well. I’ll say my v8v looks much classier and unique. I’ll even go to say that it sounds throatier but not as loud as the GT3. $250k for a 911? Not sure about that.
GT3's are everywhere now