Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Clutch M/T Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:25 AM
seastu is infamous around these parts
Clutch M/T Vantage

My 2015 Vantage Gt has about 1200 miles on it. Yesterday while parked on incline the car started to roll into some bushes.. must have been daydreaming. Not thinking to clearly I accelerated and shifted into first. Luckily I avoided the bushes but smelled burnt clutch immediately after. I have been driving stick for the last 40 years and don't recall ever smelling a burnt clutch. I have been careful to match rpms on down shifts and easy low rpms into first. Is this a common issue with these cars and did I cause any excessive wear to the clutch.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:52 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Easy question first... are you sure the parking brake was fully engaged?

Old 10-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Me error, I should have stated that I released the emergency brake before depressing clutch pedal.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
I smoked my clutch to avoid beingrear ended many years ago in a 2007 vantage of smoke from the burning clutch looked like I had smoked the tires but the smell was definitely clutch!

Anyhow I had driven the car 25,000 hard miles before I sold it in the clutch was still fine.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:55 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
It's easy to burn the clutch in these cars. Don't make a habit of it and you should be fine, just gotta be super careful on inclines/declines. Especially parallel parking... it's so bad.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the quick responses.... lesson learned, daydreaming not good when driving a Vantage stick

Old 10-09-2015, 02:31 PM
PK_Vantage is infamous around these parts
Noob here and looking to get into a '16 V8 Vantage GT soon.

Is there not a Hill Start Assist feature on these cars?....just wondering.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
Yes, on the sport shift

Old 10-09-2015, 02:53 PM
You looking at one of the few 2016 GT in stock as you can't get them new anymore, instead they brought back the V8S instead $$$$

Old 10-09-2015, 03:07 PM
PK_Vantage is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
Yes, on the sport shift

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Prefurbia
You looking at one of the few 2016 GT in stock as you can't get them new anymore, instead they brought back the V8S instead $$$$
Yes, the final edition in V8S form will be $$$$. For that kind of money, one might as well wait another year or so and get a '15 V12S for about the same.

BTW, I love your new Alloro Green V8V GT. I'd love to get it in green but too bad Sage Green is no longer offered.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:40 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PK_Vantage
Noob here and looking to get into a '16 V8 Vantage GT soon.

Is there not a Hill Start Assist feature on these cars?....just wondering.
The 3 pedal car has hill assistance as well. Go for a test drive and feel it for yourself.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:43 AM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
I have smelled clutch on my V8V much more than any of my other stick shift cars. They don't like inclines an unfortunately I have an incline into my garage. I think the clutch is a softer material and like many other 'exotics' clutches don't last as long. Maserati's burning out at less than 20k miles. I smelled clutch on a Gransport test drive and didn't have any inclines.

The clutch on my 84 GTI lasted over 100k miles. I changed an original clutch on a BMW at 200k many years ago.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:01 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Its been noted in other threads, but reverse seems pretty tall.. its easy to get the clutch toasty when trying to back up a hill.... Probably the V8V's least favorite trick!

Old 10-14-2015, 12:42 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I had to do a quick 3 point turn the other day. I smelled a burned clutch prominently. I am 55 and never experienced that odor before. Really worried me!

Old 10-14-2015, 01:00 PM
How do you guys work your clutch? Specifically, how much are you letting the clutch do the work for you and how early are you giving it gas when starting off in first?

I've noticed with my car that I don't have to start using the gas until after the clutch is engaged. If I release the clutch very slowly at the engagement point, it'll grab and I can start rolling without pressing the gas. In fact, I can go from a dead stop, into first, and then into second without ever touching the gas pedal. Caveat is that I've got a heavy-duty clutch so it might be more grabby (and therefore able to do that). Just wondering if the OEM clutch lets you do that. Seems to me that a lot of people give the car gas too soon when working the clutch. I'm not saying that they don't know how to drive stick. Rather, the clutch in our cars is a bit different so you need to work it differently or you'll get the burning smell.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch M/T Vantage