Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Got a very exciting delivery today.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 AM
speedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nice
Got a very exciting delivery today.

So I've been wanting to do something we my original seats for quite some time now because I have always disliked (hated) the design of the early DB9 seats. I think they really make the car look dated and changing them up along with updating some other interior pieces is on my list of winter projects to tackle. My original plan was to just get some seats from a newer car because I wasn't sure how to change the design of these seats due to the odd shape that I would be stuck with and have to work with. Then I found some photo's online of what a very creative shop did and it inspired me to keep my OE seats and work with them to create the look I'm after.

First order of business was sourcing new leather hides for the job. Like the Alcantara I used for my headliner project last winter, I wanted to definitely use genuine Aston Martin materials. Although the trim shops I have talked to all said "Our stuff is better" or "It's exactly the same", this was just something I was unwilling to compromise on. The leather in an Aston Martin (IMO) is one of those items that make these cars so special. Although I have owned many wonderful cars over the years, nothing has had the aroma and feel of the leather in my DB9..not even close.. I'm preaching to the choir here though I suspect.

So I got in touch with the really nice people at Bridge of Weir in Scotland and today 5 new "Obsidian Black" beautiful leather hides arrived at my door. I was told it would take approximately 1.5 hides to upholster each of the front seats and I wanted to have plenty of material around for when I get carried away (as I often do) and decide to do matching rear seats, door cards etc..

I snipped a little piece off to check for color match and it couldn't be any better. In the picture it may look a little bit off but it's really spot on actually. I think there's a bit of a shine to the existing leather from the conditioner used which is playing tricks on the camera.

Next the seats go off to the trim shop but I'm hoping I could get some opinions from you guys regarding the new "pattern" I'm considering.

I have really always loved what Aston Martin did with diamond pattern contrasting stitching in some cars and wanted to introduce that look into my car. I started with the headliner and I'd like to do a bit more without it becoming too much. Maybe not do this on the seats, but instead on the door cards and center arm rest? I'd love to hear any suggestions you guys might have.. I'm hoping to create something that looks as if it is OE and not at all custom. Thanks for taking a look.

The goods.

Click image for larger version

Name:	leather1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	439163Click image for larger version

Name:	leather2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	509.7 KB
ID:	439164

The interior as is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141231_143047789.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	439165Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141222_194840303.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	439166

This is the "pattern" I'm considering most. I think it does a great job working with the shape of this seat to give it a much updated and modern look. I'm thinking about not using the Alcantara in the center and also losing the french seams in place of stitching that will more closely resemble the original stitching throughout the rest of the car. Maybe the diamond stitching in the center area of the seat back and/or headrest?? Too much?

Name:  DB9 SEATS1.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  159.1 KBName:  DB9 SEATS2.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  171.0 KB

I really love the look of this door card done with the diamond pattern, so I'm considering also instead doing this and not on the seats as to not over-do it.

Name:  f29b6dcecd_800.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  123.1 KB

Last edited by speedracer800; 02-02-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: changing picture
Old 02-02-2016, 11:43 AM
vince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nice
Gorgeous!

Old 02-02-2016, 12:06 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
nicely done... as if Q had a hand in your design.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:25 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I'm a sucker for diamond stitching, but I love that "modern" looking one. I wouldn't combine them... but I think either would look great

Old 02-02-2016, 02:20 PM
speedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nice
Originally Posted by telum01
I'm a sucker for diamond stitching, but I love that "modern" looking one. I wouldn't combine them... but I think either would look great
I feel the same..absolutely love it. The challenge with this car has been the shape of the seats. I have no imagination at all..and even less creativity so it's been tough dreaming up a design I like. The trim shop is working on some ideas as well.

I already have the diamond quilted headliner so it makes sense to introduce more of that into the car..but as you said, it might not work with the modern look of that seat shown. Decisions..decisions...

Old 02-02-2016, 03:21 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I'm pretty sure I've seen those seats in diamond stitch. The main section of the back was diamond. The headrest and sides were smooth.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:55 PM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
Have you seen the work in this PH post? http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...f=70&t=1527447

Old 02-02-2016, 06:38 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Wow those seats are amazing!

Old 02-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by yvr
Have you seen the work in this PH post? http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...f=70&t=1527447
Yea.. I did see that. Think the diamonds are too small. Looks great, just not exactly what I want.

I might wind up keeping one of these hides in my living room.. Damn they smell good! Maybe some custom leather pants..

Old 02-03-2016, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by speedracer800
Yea.. I did see that. Think the diamonds are too small. Looks great, just not exactly what I want.
Yeah, I think it'd look a lot better with larger diamonds (my god I sound like a woman...)

Originally Posted by speedracer800
I might wind up keeping one of these hides in my living room.. Damn they smell good! Maybe some custom leather pants..
No joke! I had three of them in my living room for a few days and the smell was glorious hahaha

Last edited by telum01; 02-03-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:33 AM
MrCLOS has a spectacular aura aboutMrCLOS has a spectacular aura aboutMrCLOS has a spectacular aura about
IMO, too much diamond could clutter the cabin. The vertical lines on the modern looking seats are easier in the eyes.

You have ***** of steel messing with the Weir leather so keep some for the pants.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by MrCLOS
You have ***** of steel messing with the Weir leather so keep some for the pants.
Almost lost my coffee

Old 02-03-2016, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by MrCLOS
IMO, too much diamond could clutter the cabin. The vertical lines on the modern looking seats are easier in the eyes.

Haha... The seats are easy.. Doing the headliner last winter was a real trick, but it came out really sweet.

Still "interviewing" trim shops to do the work currently. 2 of them have made the final cut. Hoping to have the work started in the next couple weeks! (I'm gonna make them toss in the custom pants

Old 02-03-2016, 12:29 PM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
I too congratulate you on taking the risk. For me, the diamond pattern would be too much. However, I can see how it would match the headliner. Main thing is, I don't have to like it. Only you (maybe your significant other) have to be happy. Look forward to the finished product.

And if you don't have enough leftover for the pants: Lederhosen

Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 PM
MrCLOS has a spectacular aura aboutMrCLOS has a spectacular aura aboutMrCLOS has a spectacular aura about
If you are can't find anyone to do it in your area and if you are willing to ship, there are some very nice shops all over the US.

I have talked to Chris at C2 Design in Tampa and his work, especially the interiors, are the closest to OEM look/feel that I have seen.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got a very exciting delivery today.