Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What is this mirror sensor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:08 AM
embdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud of
What is this mirror sensor?

I am working with a company to develop a mirror mount radar detector mount.

It will bock a sensor in the rear of the rear view mirror. (2007 Vantage) Does anyone know if this will be a problem?

Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Aston502 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by embdenb
I am working with a company to develop a mirror mount radar detector mount.

It will bock a sensor in the rear of the rear view mirror. (2007 Vantage) Does anyone know if this will be a problem?
Probably just a dimmer for headlights approaching from the rear at night. You could always cover it with tape and see what happens.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:20 PM
embdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Aston502
Probably just a dimmer for headlights approaching from the rear at night. You could always cover it with tape and see what happens.
The sensor points to the front of the car

Old 02-06-2016, 03:37 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Auto Dimming Mirror

If your '07 is like mine, you have the optional Garage Door Opener + Auto Dimming rear view mirror.
There are three buttons for garage door programming (or other functions- i.e. remote operation of your exhaust valves) and the auto dimming mirror feature.

I suspect that sensor is what the mirror uses to determine if it daytime or nighttime. Mine appears to be aimed toward the right side of the roadway, away from oncoming headlights.
If you block it, the mirror will most likely think its nighttime and will be continually be in the "dimming" mode, making daylight viewing somewhat problematic.
As suggested, cover it up and see if you can live with the daytime rear view. YMMV

Last edited by DonL; 02-06-2016 at 03:39 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-06-2016, 09:48 PM
impulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the rough
LED for ambiance lighting?

Old 02-07-2016, 08:19 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
DonL is correct.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by DonL
If your '07 is like mine, you have the optional Garage Door Opener + Auto Dimming rear view mirror.
There are three buttons for garage door programming (or other functions- i.e. remote operation of your exhaust valves) and the auto dimming mirror feature.

I suspect that sensor is what the mirror uses to determine if it daytime or nighttime. Mine appears to be aimed toward the right side of the roadway, away from oncoming headlights.
If you block it, the mirror will most likely think its nighttime and will be continually be in the "dimming" mode, making daylight viewing somewhat problematic.
As suggested, cover it up and see if you can live with the daytime rear view. YMMV
Thanks for the reply.

I believe the radar detector bracket should not "cover it up" since it should be about 1 inch away which should allow the sensor to read ambient lighting. I might drill a hole in the bracket just in front of the sensor.
I am nowhere close to developing a mirror bracket that works on the AM. The company is sending me another beta based on my feedback. Will keep the list posted