Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

It's Alive!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 05:26 AM
pikajew is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cattman
Why "Rolex" when it is not a Rolex? I appreciate your making the clock gold to match the rest of your work (thought it wouldn't be my choice), clearly if you wanted to have a real Rolex movement in there, you can afford it, so printing rolex there just seems fake in contrast to everything else you've done. My $.01.
CATTMAN
Why? Because I've dropped nearly 80k on 4 watches the last few years (not showing off but you asked) and it's my favorite brand. My car, my hobby, my choice. Most people who have seen it are amazed of how good it looks. FYI, take your clock apart and see how cheap it is (and how it connects to your car). There is no way a Rolex movement would work unless I had a custom watch box made to fit my car!! Lol

Old 12-22-2016, 05:46 AM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
I just did a 20 minute speed read of this thread and WOW...well executed! I can't want to see the car back together! I'd be out of my mind not being able to drive it for as long as you have had it on the shelf.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by OEkun1
I just did a 20 minute speed read of this thread and WOW...well executed! I can't want to see the car back together! I'd be out of my mind not being able to drive it for as long as you have had it on the shelf.
I do have a stock example and a few other toys so it hasn't been all too painful.

But it's coming together...

j

Old 12-22-2016, 11:19 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Looks stunning!!!

Old 12-23-2016, 04:29 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Are you going to black out the trim around the windows or gold plate it?? I think I would also blackout the mesh behind the side fender and maybe the hood one also, just a thought... Coming together nicely

Old 12-25-2016, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by handyman2009
Are you going to black out the trim around the windows or gold plate it?? I think I would also blackout the mesh behind the side fender and maybe the hood one also, just a thought... Coming together nicely
So all trim will be blacked out when the car gets wrapped in satin matte black - I wouldn't gold plate that.... It's hard to see but I already had the fender mesh powder coated black. (And the V12 hood has carbon fiber vents so nothing to paint black.) Thanks.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Should be ready in 2 weeks.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:41 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice...

Old 12-29-2016, 06:42 PM
This is a very nice build!

Old 01-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by BMW-North

Thanks for your pics of your angel eyes made by Oracle. I took to making my own ( had a lot of experience over the years with BMW)

Anyway - here's a prelim pic. I used a BMW wiring harness to install a separate relay for them so I can use them in Canada as DRL and turn off the current method (AM turn ALL lights on at startup to satisfy Canadian DRL requirements). I'm tying them into the Comfort Module so that they fade on off using the key remote - they also come on at ignition (via trigger wire) and remain on while the car is ON.

I just need to turn off the DRL coding that AML did when my car came up from the USA.

I was curious as to how you have yours working? Do they come on at startup and remain on? Are they tied to the Comfort module?
Angel eyes in Vantage V8 - Blue tinge is from camera - light is pure white.

Relay for Angel eyes installed with existing AM relay to give factory appearance.
First of all, SERIOUS props for doing this yourself. What did you do at BMW? Also I'd LOVE a pic of the angel eyes with the lights off.

So mine haven't been installed yet, but were wired separately from the factory plug so they can attach to to a separate switch that will be flush mounted somewhere inside. No DRL requirement in the US, so they can be turned on/off as desired.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Steering wheel completed with matching leather and stitching from seats. 👍

Old 01-06-2017, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by BMW-North
Any luck with the indicators yet?
Your craftsmanship is superb! I'll be taking the car to AM next week to do a reset. I forgot to mention that most of my modules (a/c, switch plates, radio screen, nav screen, clock, and other buttons like hazard, window defogger, etc.) are still unplugged pending the carbon fiber consoles.... Consequently, the gauge cluster is blank and non-functioning. Perhaps it's screwing with the circuitry or the car's voltage and causing the blinker issue?

Before I take it to AM, I'll plug that all in (even if parts are dangling around) and see if things start to work.

Last edited by pikajew; 01-06-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:43 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
You may want to check that your glass buttons work properly. With the plating done on the buttons and the carbon fiber on your waterfall you might find that they fit tight and can cause sticking due to the buttons now being a tighter squeeze into the fittings. I had this issue when I ordered a new piano waterfall. The buttons fit tightly and often would stick and not allow me to change gears. Even the ECU unit would occassionally stick with the key.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by EZ Cookin
You may want to check that your glass buttons work properly. With the plating done on the buttons and the carbon fiber on your waterfall you might find that they fit tight and can cause sticking due to the buttons now being a tighter squeeze into the fittings. I had this issue when I ordered a new piano waterfall. The buttons fit tightly and often would stick and not allow me to change gears. Even the ECU unit would occassionally stick with the key.
Thanks for the tip! How did you resolve? A spot of WD40?

Old 01-07-2017, 08:50 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by pikajew
Before I take it to AM, I'll plug that all in (even if parts are dangling around) and see if things start to work.
I think that would be wise. The Central Electronic Module (CEM) is a common denominator and as Matt mentioned in the other thread these lights work from a FET setup that is linked to CEM.

Matt also suggested that you check the battery disconnect button which is a good idea - I had this situation when I first got mine (before I read the owner manual) and couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't start

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It's Alive!